PDA

View Full Version : Switch to Hosted MS Exchange/BES -- Keep Gmail Address?

fzfrank
04-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Currently I'm using a gmail account for my BIS blackberry (Verizon, if that matters).

I'd like to switch to hosted MS Exchange with BES, but the hosted Exchange provider told me that gmail isn't compatible with hosted Exchange. They said I would have to point the MX servers on my new domain to their server which is not an option with gmail. That's fine, but I'd rather not change my e-mail address.

I assume I can use both BES & BIS on the blackberry and Exchange & POP on Outlook and I'd never have to change my e-mail address, but then I wouldn't get all the benefits of hosted Exchange.

Is another option to forward all of my gmail to my new domain then have my "sent from" adress spoofed as my gmail address? If that's an option, will this cause a lot of my e-mail to be caught in spam filters?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

david_uk
04-20-2008, 03:08 AM
I also use hosted BES.

I just set my Gmail and Yahoo! accounts to forward to my domain on my BES provider's Exchange server. Sure, the "Sent From" address is always that domain, but I can live with that for simplicity.

I don't have any email addresses set up in my BIS, everything goes straight through the BES. It pushes instantly and reliably (via a spam filter), and of course you can see your Sent messages on your BB - very important, not to mention OTA sync of contacts and calendar. Great service IMO.

shawn1899
04-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I know when I was using exchange my mail service they allowed me to change the sent from identity so it looked like it was coming from gmail and therefore all replies went to gmail then got forwarded via gmail to the exchange server. This allows you to still give out your gmail address and get your email speedy fast via the exchange server. This also makes it so all your email still gets stored on gmail in case you want to look it up that way.

Sith_Apprentice
04-20-2008, 11:38 AM
actually on the exchange they can add the gmail address as the sent from address using it as the primary SMTP address. I am sure one of the admin guys can explain better than I, but if your hosted exchange company can do it, set it up as follows:

primary SMTP address in Exchange AD yourname@<hidden>
when you get an email the BES will delivery it via exchange. when you send it will be your gmail account. It can take a couple hours to populate through the server, unless the server admin restarts the Exchange services/BES services.