PDA

View Full Version : Is this technically possible?

Bellman
04-21-2008, 01:22 AM
Apologies in advance as I am novice/intermediate when it comes to the setup of Blackberry handsets.

I currently have an 8700 that is running my phone / email / SMS through my employers network/server. Many employees at the firm have Blackberry's ranging from 7200s, 8700s, Pearls & Curves.

I would ideally like to upgrade to a Curve and have advised my employer I am happy to fund the cost out of my own pocket. However our IT guy explains that if the handset is not purchased specifically through the firm according to their process it is impossible to get the handset up and running with our systems.

Whilst I assume some setup would be required, can anyone offer advice as to the likelihood of this being true? i.e. if I know how to setup the new handset is there any physical way that it would have to be purchased through my employer in order for it to work on our network/systems?

I get the feeling they are feeding me this line to deter us from upgrading and they are unwilling to pay for the handset upgrades out of their own pocket.

I work for Citi Smith Barney (Citi) in Australia and my carrier is Telstra. Thanks in advance for any assistance / comments.

NJBlackBerry
04-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Many companies have a strict policy about not connecting employee owned equipment to their network. As you work for a financial institution, that could very well be the case.

I would not try to circumvent the policy; perhaps a conversation with IT would help.

BigA
04-21-2008, 03:50 AM
But if it makes you feel better yes, it's a line of bull. Doesn't matter if it's yours or theirs. The Blackberry Enterprise Server doesn't care. You could even activate my Verizon 8830 on your server. But as the argument stands it's Citi's BES and they have the ultimate word on whos devices gets activated.

penguin3107
04-21-2008, 05:31 AM
But if it makes you feel better yes, it's a line of bull. Doesn't matter if it's yours or theirs. The Blackberry Enterprise Server doesn't care. You could even activate my Verizon 8830 on your server.

Complete nonsense.
How do you know the BES doesn't have Enterprise Service Policy enabled on it? (Which it probably does.)

The BES can be configured so that only certain "pre-approved" handhelds can be activated on it.

tornadodivine
04-21-2008, 05:53 AM
I think the point BigA is trying to make is that it doesn't matter who physically owns the Blackberry device.

Yes, the BES might be configured to only allow approved devices on there, but that list of approved devices could theoretically include any Blackberry. What devices are on the list will be down to Citi Smith Barney.

To be honest, if it's anything like where I work.. you won't be allowed to put your own personal BB onto the BES. Only company bought Blackberries are on the BES. The red tape I'd have to go through to get my own BB on there AND then all the restrictions I'd suddenly have really aren't worth it.

NJBlackBerry
04-21-2008, 06:53 AM
I guess since it is that darn companies BES they figure they can decide what gets attached to it. Who would have thought.

Sith_Apprentice
04-21-2008, 06:58 AM
well since this has been thoroughly answered: Welcome to the forums.

Company can set up the BES however they want, and can also set it to only allow certain devices. They have the final word on what can and cannot go on it. Granted, the BES itself is capable of handling ANY BB device, regardless of carrier or of model. But as with everything else on the BES, it can be restricted for added security. I know many BES Admins who have set it so no 81xx or 83xx can be put on the BES. They do not want to allow the cameras for security reasons.

Its best to talk to the IT department, and if they say a definitive no, just use the device that you have now. If you want a curve for personal use that is fine, but its best in these cases to let it drop if they tell you its impossible

Dubdub
04-21-2008, 09:27 AM
My advice to anyone on a BES, is to keep all personal stuff - devices, email, etc. - off the company system.

Bellman
04-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Thank you all for your replies - sounds as though I could be dreaming. Any discussions I have with IT get me the same answers, if it isn't purchased through the firm it cannot be put onto the 'system'.

The most frustrating this is you essentially receive the 'approved' model as at the time you apply for the handset. So in my case I have the 8700 as I have had mine for some time - those applying for new handsets are now receiving the Curve. You have no choice on handset, just receive the 'approved' model which is currently the Curve.

Apparently the firm has all handsets signed up on month to month contracts so no opportunity for upgrades, previously they were 12 month contracts where by after the 12 months you go the latest and greatest.

Oh well - something tells me mine may be due for some sort of malfunction...?

Thanks again.

Dubdub
04-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Oh well - something tells me mine may be due for some sort of malfunction...?

Thanks again.

Definitely not the ethical thing to do, just because you want some new toy to play with.

The company can probably figure out you caused the "malfunction".

BigA
04-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Definitely not the ethical thing to do, just because you want some new toy to play with.

The company can probably figure out you caused the "malfunction".

So "accidentally" dropping my bb in a crap covered toilet, means I caused the "malfunction"? Granted his only suspicion would be he ask for an upgrade, was told "no". Then accidentally damages it. Yes he may get a talking too, but that's it. I would also bet that Citi would just give him another 8700.

BigA
04-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Complete nonsense.
How do you know the BES doesn't have Enterprise Service Policy enabled on it? (Which it probably does.)

The BES can be configured so that only certain "pre-approved" handhelds can be activated on it.

WOW!! Hold on let me throw on my flame suit.

As the original poster wanted to know is it possible to activate any bb on a bes. The answer is yes it is POSSIBLE, matter of fact it's PROBABLE. No one here ever said or mentioned (except for you) about in-place policies, which is something that you, me or anyone, except for a Citi BB admin can answer.

Sith_Apprentice
04-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Apologies in advance as I am novice/intermediate when it comes to the setup of Blackberry handsets.

I currently have an 8700 that is running my phone / email / SMS through my employers network/server. Many employees at the firm have Blackberry's ranging from 7200s, 8700s, Pearls & Curves.

I would ideally like to upgrade to a Curve and have advised my employer I am happy to fund the cost out of my own pocket. However our IT guy explains that if the handset is not purchased specifically through the firm according to their process it is impossible to get the handset up and running with our systems.
Whilst I assume some setup would be required, can anyone offer advice as to the likelihood of this being true? i.e. if I know how to setup the new handset is there any physical way that it would have to be purchased through my employer in order for it to work on our network/systems?

I get the feeling they are feeding me this line to deter us from upgrading and they are unwilling to pay for the handset upgrades out of their own pocket.

I work for Citi Smith Barney (Citi) in Australia and my carrier is Telstra. Thanks in advance for any assistance / comments.

i think this is what penguin was referring to. Its also possible that the devices have certain features disabled via hardware (thus purchased through the vendor itself) or software so they can be used in the secure environment. It *might* not be BS, but it *could* be.

Bellman
09-16-2008, 01:51 AM
UPDATE: I have recently come across a colleague (who works in an IT related area) who is sporting a brand new Blackberry Bold. Staff had been told in a general communication that the Bold (and any other upgrades as per my original post) were unavailable and buying handsets through external suppliers was a fruitless exercise as they would not work on the Citi network.

After some harassment and persistence my colleague tells me this is in fact not true, the firm would just prefer to control the distribution of handsets. He claimed it is simple as 'replacing the SIM card in a new phone of your choice' to upgrade (he bought his outright without a plan from a third party supplier).

Is anyone able to offer any advice as to how I can confirm through the setup/interface of my existing 8700 handset if the SIM would work in a new Bold. My obvious concern is shelling out the $$$ for a Bold, switching the SIM and not being able to access email/Bloomberg/phone directories etc.

I assume there must be some elements of general setup/initial tweaking that needs to be done to the new handset regardless, however without generalising too much do we think it is possible a semi-intelligent phone professional could setup a new Bold based on the information/settings as per my current 8700?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

SteveO86
09-16-2008, 07:05 AM
With all due respect, this is your work BlackBerry, if you want a Curve or Bold buy it for personal use. Mixing professional and personal matters doesn't usual end well. BlackBerries are known for security it was as simple as switching the SIM card then there is an issue.. Besides your PIN/ESN is registered to BES if you get a new BlackBerry you get a new PIN/ESN.

The IT guy managing the BES is paid to support Citi Smith Barney (Citi) devices, not personal BlackBerries and you shell out the money for the device it would be considered a personal device you are using for work, not a Citi Smith Barney (Citi) device.

(This is partially from the perspective of an IT guy, and an IT guy who keeps work/personal life seperate because if you use the new BlackBerry for personal use everything can be logged on the BES, so be careful)

The best you can do is provide a logical, cost effective reason to upgrade the BlackBerry, ie. OS 4.5 with Docs To Go.