PDA

View Full Version : Can you use blackberry messenger with BES?

tieshabritton
04-22-2008, 10:12 AM
My friend has a 8703, and I cant find her bbm. I tried to pin her and see if it is hidden but even in applications, its not on her phone. Can I install the new os on hers even though she is using BES? will it give her the bb messenger?

juwaack68
04-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Yes, it can be used with BES, however, the BES can be set up to block BBM/PIN messaging to external people.

tieshabritton
04-22-2008, 10:25 AM
ooo ok so im gonna try to dl her the new os, but if her job is blocking bbm then it still wont work right?

juwaack68
04-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Correct.

And I wouldn't recommend touching the OS on her device. She will have to redo the Enterprise Activation if her OS is upgraded and that could get her in trouble.

Kormac
04-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Correct. Installing the new OS will require her to reactivate her BlackBerry on the BES server, which will require involvement with her IT department.

At that point the policy file will be reloaded on the device, and if the IT department is blocking BB Messenger, then you will still not have access to it.

Also, depending on if it is a company provided device, it may be against her company policy to update the device, which could result in a very unhappy IT department (or action against her).

Kormac

tieshabritton
04-22-2008, 10:42 AM
oo ok thank you guys! whew almost got her in trouble

tommyinnyc
02-12-2009, 01:57 PM
is it possible for the IT department to access your BBMs?