PDA

View Full Version : Rove Mobile - Mobile Admin 4.0

jibi
04-22-2008, 12:19 PM
For large server deployments who previously were unable to purchase Rove Mobile due to the licensing costs (roughly $100,000 for 1,000 servers), the licensing model has now been changed to per user/handheld. So for systems administration groups of 10 users who managed 1,000+ servers, you will now get roughly a 95% discount on the pricing.

For companies who had 10 servers and 1 administrator, this now saves you 80% from retail pricing.

Very interesting move by Rove Mobile and it's definitely not one of those changes that should adversely impact anyone from the past licensing model (except in cases where you have 5 systems administrators and only 1 server to manage).

Rove Mobile - Network Administration and Remote Access (http://www.rovemobile.com)

By the way, I just wanted to comment and say that my company is not a customer of Rove Mobile, although this change in licensing will certainly warrant another serious look from us.

murpheous
04-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Interesting. Thank you for letting us now. I will take another look now.

DarienA
04-22-2008, 03:18 PM
I've had interest in having this management tool in my hat for awhile now but had bulked because of the price, with this new licensing I think I'll revisit this very soon...

BigA
04-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Upgrading now.

jibi
06-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Question for anyone who has Mobile Admin and a large server deployment. How does it work? When I say 'large deployment', we're talking configuring this for all the 'unlimited servers' licensing is worth... hundreds and thousands of servers.

When I'm looking at the management interface, I notice the lack of an import feature for a list of servers. The ability to browse and select computers from the domain (which is not usable when more than 1,000 computer objects are involved with the returned query data) and adding servers individually were the only options I noticed.

There's simply too much clicking and not enough scripted/batch actions involved. When I add a new server, I don't want to have to make 50 clicks just to get it added and configured for 15 administrators. Now apply that process with 2,000 managed servers. With such a great tool, life should be easier not harder, right?

...am I overlooking something?

kerry6
06-19-2008, 05:10 PM
why not just add what you need. and let the other admins add there own. much easier..

hdawg
06-19-2008, 09:11 PM
why not just add what you need. and let the other admins add there own. much easier..

standardization? consistency?

penguin3107
06-19-2008, 09:32 PM
...am I overlooking something?

If you're overlooking something, then so am I.
My current server count is at 51, and it took quite a long time to configure them all for 3 admins.
Hundreds/Thousands of servers? I can't see anyone doing it.

Mobile Admin is a phenomenal product, but I agree that the initial setup is a little clunky.
In my opinion, the 3.x version of Mobile Admin was easier to set up.

st@cey
06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Yes Jibi you're correct. We are aware of these limitations and are looking into a way to better deal with managing large numbers of servers.

Thanks for your feedback. Will keep you posted...

rliebsch
06-20-2008, 01:02 PM
My 2 bits. I wouldn't use it to manage each and every server.

I use it for AD add/change/del, Backup Exec monitoring, BES add/remove, Exchange admin... High level stuff which can be centrally controlled.

If I had to restart a specific server, I'd add it then.... I wouldn't use it to monitor/maintain large arrays systems.

kerry6
06-20-2008, 02:26 PM
My 2 bits. I wouldn't use it to manage each and every server.

I use it for AD add/change/del, Backup Exec monitoring, BES add/remove, Exchange admin... High level stuff which can be centrally controlled.

If I had to restart a specific server, I'd add it then.... I wouldn't use it to monitor/maintain large arrays systems.

which is my point.....use it when you can for what you need, stay mobile and flexible...

GrandMstrBud
01-20-2009, 09:03 PM
I am on a trial of 4.1 and I really do like this software. It's not something I would use to much though and the price is pretty high in my opinion. Is anyone aware of any similar products that may be less expensive?