PDA

View Full Version : Company vs. Personal, what can they see???

NukedNC
04-22-2008, 07:02 PM
I'll start by apologizing if this is repost... I own my own device, picked my plan (full data), pay my bills direct to Verizon. But, I think my company has a bberry server. I have live syncing with outlook on calendar, contacts, email, etc. That's a BB server working, right?

So, my question is... What exactly runs through our company server? Just my email and Outlook stuff? If I surf the web on the bberry browser, can they see what I'm doing, where I've been and when? If I check my personal email (yahoo, AOL, etc.) is that being logged through my company system? Or is going direct through verizon like my cell phones? How about txt messages? Private or being stored in the company database???

And Messengers? It looks like Yahoo Messenger is different now. And something called BBerry messenger? I've never heard of that... Same questions on these things - what, if any, goes through my company?

I hate to sound paranoid, but I just prefer to know if someone is watching me... :)

Thanks very much for the help!

ezrunner
04-22-2008, 07:03 PM
if you are attached to the BES server they can if they choose see all

04-22-2008, 07:15 PM
every place seems to be a bit different on what they choose to pay attention to (as ez references). Some, like mine, are more forgiving with what you do with your BB (if you own it) vs. using one of theirs. I chose to own mine and use the corp bes, but do most of my own maint. I would imagine if they watch, they do so via a network management tool/monitoring software that is tracking site traffic, key words, etc., but I am no expert in this area.

juwaack68
04-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Well, you already know your IT dept *can* read your email, right? In addition to that, the BES (BB server) can monitor your phone call logs, text messages (including the text of the messages), and your PIN messages.

They can force all of your internet browsing to go thru their network, and monitor that as well.

Sith_Apprentice
04-22-2008, 07:30 PM
and dont forget your SSN...but thats just the HR department :razz:

Dubdub
04-22-2008, 08:14 PM
My advice to anyone, do not put a personal BB on a company BES. Especially if you bought the device and you are paying the bill. Makes things much easier that way.

ricpac
04-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Yep, just hook up your personal BB on BIS and integrate your work email. (y)

04-23-2008, 12:14 AM
I am actually now in the process of working out removing my personal bb from the BES (the company is buying me a new device...i am waiting for the VZW curve), so will be keeping my stuff separate. Not really big deal as I did not have much personal stuff going through. But I know you do it at some cost...I could not resist the siren song of real time calendar updates

RadHaz75
04-23-2008, 07:39 AM
like they said above, we can see everything if we choose to look or turn it on. we don't allow personal devices on our bes to prevent these kinds of situations. we own the device and service so we can say what you can and cannot do, which if you owned it could be some gray areas. from a support model it makes it much easier for us to support our end users as they only have devices we deploy and we can get the replacements and fixes much faster.

akosnitzky
04-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Yep, just hook up your personal BB on BIS and integrate your work email. (y)

That is what I have been doing but of course I am still accountable to what I put on their e-mail acct as opposed to be own which is a whole other issue.

jgrover
04-23-2008, 07:55 AM
So, my question is... What exactly runs through our company server? Just my email and Outlook stuff? If I surf the web on the bberry browser, can they see what I'm doing, where I've been and when? If I check my personal email (yahoo, AOL, etc.) is that being logged through my company system? Or is going direct through verizon like my cell phones? How about txt messages? Private or being stored in the company database???

I consider a good rule of thumb to be this: If it's a company email account, then nothing in that mailbox is private, regardless of what device you use to access it it and what you use the email address for.

Two Mike Romeo
04-23-2008, 02:13 PM
"I'll take the full odds on the 10, 200 on the hard way, the limit on all the numbers and 250 on the 11, thank you very much."

The name is Bond, James Bond. Diamonds Are Forever.

"You handle those dice like a monkey handles coconuts." Plenty O'Toole

And I am aging myself here, but Jill St. John was the hotness in that film!

rDeuce
04-23-2008, 02:28 PM
"I'll take the full odds on the 10, 200 on the hard way, the limit on all the numbers and 250 on the 11, thank you very much."

The name is Bond, James Bond. Diamonds Are Forever.

"You handle those dice like a monkey handles coconuts."
And I am aging myself here, but Jill St. John was the hotness in that film!

I am so glad you posted this b/c I was lost and was going to ask what the heck he was talking about:razz:

ikasen
04-23-2008, 10:22 PM
That is what I have been doing but of course I am still accountable to what I put on their e-mail acct as opposed to be own which is a whole other issue.

This is also exactly what I do. I've been doing it for a long time and it works well for me and they are fine with it.
I am well aware as jgrover mentioned, that they can see anything on my company email anyway, but that's fine with me.