PDA

View Full Version : Why OTA?

olly666
04-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Call it curiosity... I've been trying to figure out why so many downloads for the blackberry are ota only. Many theme websites operate this way for example.

Is it to prevent piracy/file sharing? Or is it just because the blackberry is assumed to be a self sufficient "web device"? Something to think about.....

John Clark
04-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Some of both.

aiharkness
04-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700g)

Don't know. But as a user I prefer OTA.

John Clark
04-23-2008, 05:23 PM
I prefer OTA but if there is a .zip file with .alx and .cod's I will usually download that as a backup just in case the app is ever removed from the original OTA site.

wabbit
04-23-2008, 05:23 PM
ease of use. go download, then extract then run dm and then sync and then install it, vs going to a web site click download and it installs.

just to make it easier.

blakeatl
04-23-2008, 05:39 PM
OTA for me too. Why download to the computer for the blackberry when you can download directly to it?

FF2
04-23-2008, 06:03 PM
What I don't like is SMS Txt delivery of applications since I do NOT have any txt allowance. Not that one or two txt's would bankrupt me, but I am not convinced that these sites will not send additional txt when they have other announcements to make.

I prefer, the computer download - that was, as John Clark, says, I have a backup of the "real files."

olly666
04-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Personally I would rather have the option for a computer download as well for the same reason. I can't imagine not having a txting allowance, but that's just me.

daphne
04-23-2008, 06:23 PM
I prefer OTA but if there is a .zip file with .alx and .cod's I will usually download that as a backup just in case the app is ever removed from the original OTA site.

Good idea! I did not think of that.

TroyDBrown
04-23-2008, 06:30 PM
I also like OTA over using DM. In addition to doing the OTA I also, from my computer do the OTA download and save the file to my media card for future use.

aiharkness
04-23-2008, 07:26 PM
I think for me it is a matter of what I use, too. I'm pretty basic. If I was using something I may not be able to download again for whatever reason, I would appreciate having the install files on my PC.

Dinan3
04-23-2008, 08:51 PM
What I don't like is SMS Txt delivery of applications since I do NOT have any txt allowance. Not that one or two txt's would bankrupt me, but I am not convinced that these sites will not send additional txt when they have other announcements to make.

I prefer, the computer download - that was, as John Clark, says, I have a backup of the "real files."

Im not sure, but all of my OTA confirmations have been via e-mail, not SMS.

sheik28
04-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Wow great topic, this is something i have been mulling over as well. John Clark said it best though. OTA is good but being able to physically download is great for backups.

takeshi
04-24-2008, 08:16 AM
But as a user I prefer OTA.
Same here. It's a lot less hassle.