PDA

View Full Version : Can you Sync with Lotus/iNotes without BES?

lonmills
04-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi. I have the 8830 World Edition through Verizon. My company uses Lotus Notes. I can use iNotes as well. I do not have access to the company's BES Server (Only for Directors and above). Is there any possible way I can get my Notes email on my blackberry??? It appears that the Blackberry Redirector software was discontinued for new blackberry customers. Any help would be much appreciated!

Cocooningweb
04-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Almost ... you can create a forward rule in Notes to forward all incoming messages to your BB. On your BB you can set the "send from" to your email address in Notes. That way when you reply to emails the people will get the email from your Notes email and you will receive all you emails on your BB.

The downside is that your read/unread email will not be synchronized between Notes and your BB and you will have to open all your emails at both place. I did it for about a year before we got a BES and I though it worked fine.

You can also sync your calendar/tasks and contacts with Notes via USB. To sync your notes just create a "Journal" db in Notes.

MPScan
04-25-2008, 07:50 AM
I was in the exact situation as the original poster. My company used Notes with BES but only would put you on the BES if you were Director and above.

I did what the second poster suggested and setup a mail forwarding rule. It took about three weeks before one of the Notes admins disabled it and contacted me because it was against company policy to have a blanket rule that forwards internal emails to un-secure external addresses.

If your company is large enough to pay for the infrastructure needed to have Notes/Domino and a BES for Director+ level employees, I'm going to guess there's a 96% or greater chance your company has a similar policy.

penguin3107
04-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Doesn't BIS work with iNotes? I was under the impression that it did. It's been a while since we've used Domino, but I'm pretty sure I had BIS users getting their mail with no problem... and I know I never had POP3 or IMAP enabled.

lonmills
04-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Almost ... you can create a forward rule in Notes to forward all incoming messages to your BB. On your BB you can set the "send from" to your email address in Notes. That way when you reply to emails the people will get the email from your Notes email and you will receive all you emails on your BB.

The downside is that your read/unread email will not be synchronized between Notes and your BB and you will have to open all your emails at both place. I did it for about a year before we got a BES and I though it worked fine.

You can also sync your calendar/tasks and contacts with Notes via USB. To sync your notes just create a "Journal" db in Notes.

Thanks, but we are not given the privelege to create email forward agents. I have no problems synching the calendar/contacts, etc. Only email is an issue.

lonmills
04-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Doesn't BIS work with iNotes? I was under the impression that it did. It's been a while since we've used Domino, but I'm pretty sure I had BIS users getting their mail with no problem... and I know I never had POP3 or IMAP enabled.

Thanks, I haven't been able to get BIS to work with iNotes, but maybe I am not setting it up properly. Any suggestions on where I can go for assistance?

eferrero
04-30-2008, 06:15 PM
perhaps I'm missing something but I simply set my BB to update as POP3. This allows me to read emails and choose if I would like to delete from hand held or hand held and server.

Getting BB to sync with my calendar via USB has not work for me. Any advise?

MPScan
05-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Here is another way to get sync realtime over-air sync with Lotus Notes without a company sponsored BES.

1. Get a hosted exchange package with BES.

2. Download the Outlook client to your PC. Install it.

3. Install DoubleNotes by CompanionLink (DoubleNotes 3.0 -- synchronize Lotus Notes with ACT!, GoldMine, and Palm Desktop in real-time. (http://www.companionlink.com/products/doublenotes.html))

4. Setup DoubleNotes to sync Lotus <-> Outlook

5. Walla! Everything is synced wirelessly in realtime except for your email.