PDA

View Full Version : Office docs on BB

shaf77
04-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Have a quick question pls...

I have copied over some docs (excel and word) to the micro SD card on the BB... when trying to view them on the BB i get the following error:

unable to display file
/media card/blackberry/documents/filename.xls

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks!

penguin3107
04-24-2008, 02:43 PM
What software are you using to try to open them?
You need some sort of third-party application to open up those types of docs.

Sith_Apprentice
04-24-2008, 02:45 PM
you need software such as Dynoplex's E-Office or Simprit GridMagic

shaf77
04-24-2008, 06:20 PM
I didn't think you needed any additional software :( When i get any email attachments (pdf, excel or word) they always open fine... It's just the ones on the SD card that aren't....

Sith_Apprentice
04-24-2008, 06:24 PM
because the others are opened through the Blackberry internet service or BES. the SD card ones are not.

shaf77
04-24-2008, 06:42 PM
because the others are opened through the Blackberry internet service or BES. the SD card ones are not.

Thanks.. that sucks:(

So if i have say 4 docs only that i need to keep all the time... can i email them to myself, save the message and be able to access them?

I moved from an HP iPAQ 6955 (coudn't stand WM and the stylus)... well... i still prefer the BB.. lol

mededitor
04-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks.. that sucks:(

So if i have say 4 docs only that i need to keep all the time... can i email them to myself, save the message and be able to access them?

I moved from an HP iPAQ 6955 (coudn't stand WM and the stylus)... well... i still prefer the BB.. lol

I have DocHawk Platinum on my BB 8830 so I can open and edit Microsoft Office files. However, I really don't like having to pay an annual fee and don't plan to renew it after the first year is up. My need to edit on my BB isn't worth the annual fee and I don't think that the program is that great.

However, like you I had some Office files that I really wanted to keep on my micro SD card for reference, not for editing. I was able to do that two ways, both for free.

First, I downloaded Mobipocket Reader and then imported the files I wanted to keep into that program on my PC. I then exported them to my BB and while Mobipocket Reader considers them e-books, I just use them as documents.

Second, I copied and pasted the documents into Notes in Outlook and then transferred them to my BB via Desktop Manager.

This method works fine for Word documents, but I don't know if they will work for Excel. It's worth trying because it doesn't cost anything.

I had Docs-To-Go on my Treo and I really miss it for my BB. I only had to pay a one-time fee for the download and then I was done. I really don't like the annual fees for using a program that isn't even as good as Docs-To-Go, at least IMO.

Good luck.

Sith_Apprentice
04-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Docs to Go is coming for the BlackBerrys with OS 4.5 and BIS 2.5/BES 4.1.5

mededitor
04-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Docs to Go is coming for the BlackBerrys with OS 4.5 and BIS 2.5/BES 4.1.5

It's coming for BIS users? Last I read, it was only going to be available for BES and I was disappointed. That would be great, I really liked that program and found it much more user friendly than DocHawk.

I guess it's a waiting game until OS 4.5 is released. Thanks for the information!

Sith_Apprentice
04-24-2008, 08:59 PM
yes, BIS 2.5 upgrade is required for OTA access to files. OS 4.5 will allow you to view/edit/store to media card, but not download from an email.