PDA

View Full Version : outlook blackberry contact field mapping

cgcg
04-27-2008, 03:00 AM
I switched from Treo to the Nokia E61 (hated it) to BB Curve 8300. I really like it but can't keep it if I can't get my phone numbers on it in a usable fashion, ideally in a telephone field and not in a user defined string that doesn't allow for quick calling.

More than 500 of my contacts in Outlook have many telephone numbers, and more than one cellphone.

The bb desktop remapping system only recognizes some outlook fields so it doesn't even give an option to remap my extra telephone numbers to any bb field.

In addition, there simply aren't enough phone number fields in bb to handle the amount of numbers in many of my contacts.

My questions:
1 Is there a way to remap an outlook field so it will be recognized by the bb desktop software and can then be remapped to one of the limited telephone options in BB?

2 Is there a way to add more telephone field options into the bb contacts?

3 If not, is there a 3rd party addressbook software available that will allow me to add the necessary fields.

Thanks for your time

charles

aiharkness
04-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Welcome to the group, charles.

Desktop manager can be used to map custom fields blackberry <> Outlook (see: How to map fields to sync from BB to Outlook - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_to_map_fields_to_sync_from_BB_to_Outlook)). Don't know if the blackberry phone app will recognize or can be made to recognize the other phone numbers in the custom fields or not. I'll defer to others on that. Hope that's of some help to you.

SteveO86
04-27-2008, 09:29 AM
The BlackBerry Desktop Manager also gives 5 user defined fields that can be mapped to any field within Outlook.

cgcg
04-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the welcome and solutions. Unfortunately the problem remains since
1) BB DM doesn't recognize my user defined fields from outlook and I haven't found a way to transfer the info from one field to another short of manually cutting and pasting hundreds and hundreds of numbers.
2) the outlook fields don't seem remappable to something that BBDM does recognize, eg., changing Mobile 2 (my field name) to Car Telephone (an outlook name that BB mapper recognizes). Although Outlook allows relabeling a field, it doesn't actually allow renaming.
3 re Dexter086, even if BBDM would recognize my user defined fields, the BB user defined fields do not allow dialing so it would be necessary to copy numbers and paste them before dialing. A bit dangerous when driving and too complicated for other times...
Thanks

Ramsbottom
04-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Here's something that helped me.. I had a BBerry 8700g with sync to ACT!. My new 8120 with BB Manager 4.3 dosen't have ACT! support. I tried in pain to get my BB contacts into Outlook Express but was having issues.
What I do now is use is the totally free BlackBerry editor form Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Editor, edit contacts in IPD files (http://www.processtext.com/abcblackberryipdeditor.html) You may be able to use this in conjunction with their BlackBerry Converter (USD19.95). Which can convert the BB ipd files to MS Outlook... (maybe the other way too).
Check it out!

cgcg
04-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks! Will look into this. I have gotten a lot of good use out of other ABC Amber products. I sent them an email and am still waiting for their reply.