PDA

View Full Version : Installing apps without Desktop? Help?

derrillw
04-27-2008, 08:53 PM
I have a blackberry curve. ATT with BES on a hosted exchange server. Every time I use the desktop software with my curve, it totally screws up the device. I have had to wipe it twice because I had duplicate calander entries after running the desktop software. I do not need the desktop software for anything but application installations. Is there a way to install apps without having to use the crappy desktop software?

I tried to use the web based desktop but it will not install on my home computer. Any other suggestions?

Dinan3
04-27-2008, 08:58 PM
most applications can be installed directly to your device via OTA (over the air). if your BES does not have any restrictions over IT Policies, OTA is the way to go.

what kind of apps are you looking to get? several vendor sites have OTA links for installation.

Welcome to BB Forums...

derrillw
04-27-2008, 09:06 PM
I have a solitair game and a sudoku game that were installed on my pearl. The OTA works if you want to buy new apps. I know that I will have to get new authorization codes from the game maker but I have done that before. I dont think I can get these games OTA unless i want to buy them again.

Dinan3
04-27-2008, 10:56 PM
at this time, there is no known method for installing applications without using the Desktop Manager (other than OTA).

Klotar
04-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Do you have Desktop Manager set to sync automatically when connected? If so, turn that off.

While that seems like a smarty-pants answer, it's not meant to be. There is a checkbox that turns auto sync off; I have mine off in case I want to hook up the BB quickly for something and then disconnect it and I didn't want it to be in the middle of a sync during the disconnect (and I didn't want to find out what the effect of that would be).

John Clark
04-27-2008, 11:02 PM
at this time, there is no known method for installing applications without using the Desktop Manager (other than OTA).

Well, that's not quite true. You can use javaloader (included in JL_Cmder)

You can do it from a command line or lately I just write a small batch file to execute the java commands.

Simply create a text file using Notepad with the following command:

javaloader -usb load yourapplicationname.cod
pause

Save it as yourapplication.bat

Then be sure and place a copy of the javaloader.exe file in the same directory as your .bat file and the .cod(s) you want to load.

Then just plug in the BB and run the .bat file. Voila! .cod added to the device.

A list of javaloader commands are included in JL_Cmder. A little knowledge of DOS commands will help here but it's easy to learn.

Dinan3
04-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Well, that's not quite true. You can use javaloader (included in JL_Cmder)

You can do it from a command line or lately I just write a small batch file to execute the java commands.

Simply create a text file using Notepad with the following command:

javaloader -usb load yourapplicationname.cod
pause

Save it as yourapplication.bat

Then be sure and place a copy of the javaloader.exe file in the same directory as your .bat file and the .cod(s) you want to load.

Then just plug in the BB and run the .bat file. Voila! .cod added to the device.

John Clark,

the man, the myth, and the legend. i learn something new everyday!!!

takeshi
04-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Do you have Desktop Manager set to sync automatically when connected? If so, turn that off.

...and once you've done that you can check your sync settings to make sure that sync is disabled and that your calendar is set to sync Blackberry wireless calendar (IIRC). It seems like it should already be set up this way but it sounds like your sync settings aren't right for some reason.