PDA

View Full Version : cost of accessing email on blackberry

georgesdev
04-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Hello, I plan to have a Pearl 8310 and access email in push mode. I think this is what people call BES.

FYI: My company's email server is accessible from the Internet without a VPN (hosted at http://mail.navisite.com). It is an exchange server, but also does IMAP/SMTP if necessary.

My question is: how much will it cost in email charges per month?

I do 50 emails a day, I'm based in France, I travel across Europe one week per month.

I know you probably don't have the same usage profile as me, but I'd be glad to know how much it costs you to access your emails from your :bb: each month.

Thanks, --Georges

Ricky-Ray
04-28-2008, 01:39 PM
When you say you get 50 emails a day is that how many you will send and receive?

I get about 200 email's a day from 3 email addresses on my blackberry along with some browsing on the internet with the blackberry. My average data usuage is usually around 7-10 megabytes a month. Although now that I've installed a few more apps found the blackberry to be more useful I'm sure my data usage will start to go up. I have an unlimited data plan with T-Mobile and only pay $30 for the blackberry service.

Dubdub
04-28-2008, 03:25 PM
You need to be asking your carrier that question as each carrier is different. What I pay here in the US means nothing to you in Europe.

The safest way to do it is to get an unlimited BB data plan. In any case, for you to access push email on the BB, you must have a BB data plan. Each carrier has different versions and different charges.

georgesdev
04-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Just to clarify, I receive about 50 emails and send about 20 each day.

And yes, I asked my carrier, but the guys on the hotline has no clue how much it really costs depending on amount of emails, and "email roaming".

What I'm looking for is some example costs so I can get an idea (1, 2, 10, 100 euros or dollars a month). I don't want my boss to get all excited if my phone bill goes up from 50 euros to 200 euros a month because of email ... :cry:

Thanks to those who already responded.

Foxglove
04-28-2008, 04:27 PM
That is a very hard thing to say but for example I am paying 10 uk for 200mb of data + unlimlited emails per month. It is very likely that your company has an email package tied to the BES. It is very hard to break this down into how much 50 emails a day would cost as it would all depend on the length the email, attachments etc.

Your email bill is unlikley to go from 50 Euros a month to 200 euro a month unless your email output increases massively.

If you will be using the BB to browse the internet this will affect your usage.