PDA

View Full Version : My Experience With the Plantronics 925

dandrzejewski
04-29-2008, 08:04 PM
This is cross-posted from HowardForums.com.

I bought three bluetooth ear pieces today: BlueAnt Z9, Jabra JX10 Series II, and the Plantronics 925. I wanted to replace my Plantronics Discovery 640.

Here is my list of priorities:

1. Must fit comfortably and stay in place.
2. Overall build quality must be superior.
3. Sound quality must be clear.
4. Must be light.

The BlueAnt didn't fit well (and over-the-ear doesn't work very well for me), the JX10 didn't have the volume, so those went back before I even left the parking lot.

Enter the Plantronics 925. It was a bit pricey, but worth every penny. First, it actually stays in my ear! I have to shake my head around until I get dizzy, and that's just to loosen it up a bit. And it feels pretty comfortable. That's a first for me. We'll see how it works when I have a chance to wear it for a longer period of time. Check for #1.

Build quality, as with all Plantronics units, is wonderful. As for sound quality... I called my dad when I was on the highway. I had my driver's side window down. He couldn't tell. I rolled both front windows down all the way. He said it sounded like I was catching a small amount of wind, but noted that he could hear me loud and clear. I could hear him loud and clear (except when he switched to his $40 bluetooth headset that takes a AAA battery :)). One thing to note - and this isn't necessarily a bad thing at all - I could hear myself in the earpiece. It's not an echo... it's like when you are talking on a landline and you can hear yourself in the earpiece. It's not loud and it didn't bother me - I've just never seen that happen in a bluetooth before. So check for #2.

Finally - it's light. Boy is it light. It's lighter than my Discovery 640. It didn't feel like it was pulling down on my ear. That's really good. Check for #3.

This thing is pretty great. As a bonus, you get some handy accessories. I got an AC wall charger, which is expected with any accessory like this. I also got a USB charger so I could plug it into my laptop. It also comes with that charging case - which I thought was just a case to hold the thing. Then I saw the charger port on the bottom and thought that it's cool that I could have the thing in the case and charge it. Finally, I read the manual, and saw that you can charge the case itself, and then charge the headset from the case. (I should have read this thread first!) How cool is that?

My only "complaint" - and I put that in quotes because I'm nitpicky - is that it's slightly larger than other headsets. The boom does go about halfway between my ear and my mouth - so it's longer than my old BT. I think I will probably get used to that.

Anyway, I would give this thing 5 stars. I figure... Plantronics makes headsets that are used in space, so they'd probably do a pretty good job with a headset that I use in my Honda.

I'll follow up with this in a little while with any updates if my opinion changes with some use.

tranquilo
05-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Wirelessly posted

I've been looking at this one...also unhappy with Z9 performance (sound quality outbound regardless of environment; v3.4).

How's it going so far? Any issues or further praise? :)

Sparkomatic
06-26-2008, 10:53 AM
I just picked one up as well. I like the fit and sound quality sounds good so far. I'm not to sure about the design though. Might take some getting used to the look.

I'm thinking about taking the Jawbone 2 out for a spin to see if I like it better but I've heard mixed reviews. Reviews for the 925 seem pretty solid. I saw someone with a Jawbone 2 this morning at Starbucks and it does look really slim...either that or they had a big head! lol

bbmike
08-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I have been using it for over 2 weeks now.

Here's what impresses me:

1. clear sound and loud (especially when driving over 60 mph on the highway)
2. easy and consistent connection to both my blackberries at the same time (work + play)
3. very good battery life
4. sleek design
5. comfortable fit

This gem gets full marks from me. I was considering the new Z9i by blueant, but i am not fond of 'over the ear' hooks....glad i went with the planty 925

Go here for full product specs and a nice flash animation demo:

Plantronics Discovery 925 - Black (http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/mobile/bluetooth-headsets/discovery-925-black#productDemo)

DallasFlier
08-02-2008, 05:15 PM
I have been using it for over 2 weeks now.

Here's what impresses me:

1. clear sound and loud (especially when driving over 60 mph on the highway)
2. easy and consistent connection to both my blackberries at the same time (work + play)
3. very good battery life
4. sleek design
5. comfortable fit
I've had mine about 2 weeks now also, and can echo all 5 of those points you listed as positives. Reports from people I talk to say its the absolute clearest of any headset I've ever used, in the car with high noise levels was told they didn't realize I was driving in the car.

In addition, I screwed up when it was only a week old, and ended up in a pool with it in my pants pocket (don't ask!) I was actually in the water for over 5 minutes before realizing that it was in my pocket, in its little charger/case. I got out, took it out, and when I picked up my 8310, it was still paired! I called a time/temp number and the sound was clear as a bell. Made a call to a friend, he said I sounded very muffled, so water had gotten into the mic (not sure where the mic is?) But I put it on top of a hot piece of electronics equipment overnight, and next morning it was good as new!

The charger in the case no longer works, but I called Plantronics to see how much to replace that, and they offered to just send me a new one, no questions asked!

I recommend the headset, AND Plantronics customer service both very highly!

bbmike
08-02-2008, 08:49 PM
The mic is at the tip of the 'V'.

takeshi
08-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Plantronics makes headsets that are used in space, so they'd probably do a pretty good job with a headset that I use in my Honda.

Huh? Who rolls the window down while talking on a headset in space? :razz:

Seriously, though, Plantronics does make great headsets. I've been using a Voyager 510 for years (and had been using an old M3500 before that).