PDA

View Full Version : Application deployment

TreeDude
04-30-2008, 09:51 AM
I am trying to push a few apps down to out IT guys. I have not used this function before. I found KB11215 (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11215&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=128250091&stateId=0%200%2057425927). But I am stuck on task 2. When I run the loader /index command it does nothing. The 2 files which as supposed to appear in the applications folder are not there. The command does not give any kind of error. Any ideas?

amadru
04-30-2008, 11:39 AM
I had the same issue when I was first deploying applications out. My problem was the path etc. The fact the creating a software configuration has to have a UNC path was odd. Anyways this is what I would check.....

1. Make sure your app you want to deploy is in a subfolder in the following path:
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Applications
For example, I deploy sametime this way so mine is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Applications\Sametime

2. Make sure you have the .COD and .ALX files in the subfolder. Unless it is sametime which just has the .ALX folder and the .COD files are stored in the proper version folders (i.e. For_4.0.0 & For_4.2.0).

3. Run the loader.exe /index command again. Check for the .XML and .PKG files it is supposed to create.

4. Next create your Software Configuration in BES manager and your off to the races.

Im running BES 4.1.4 for Exchange so it may be different if your on a different platform or version. Sorry if this doesn't help.

Ugg
04-30-2008, 08:45 PM
What application is it you're pushing - something that you've written yourself, or something from a third party? If the latter, it may be worth mentioning the application, as someone may have specific experience of it. Sometimes the distributed ALX files are quite complicated for to cope with multiple device OS versions.

Otherwise, what amadru said...

TreeDude
05-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks guys. The KB article made no mention of a sub folder so I did not use one. The command put those 2 files into the folder. However now I am stuck on step 3. When I create the device software config I can see the device firmware I have installed, however the application software is empty. Any more ideas?

EDIT - NVM guys, I got everything working great now.