PDA

View Full Version : Alerting notifications

TGrabowski
05-01-2008, 12:49 PM
This question is regarding alerting notification and order of precedence that they are applied or to which account they are applied.

I have an 8830(4.2.2.176) that I have cfg'd on my BES at work, and also cfg'd using BIS to retrieve my home email. I try to keep the keep that Grey line between work and home as bold as possible but I have come across a situation where it needs to be lightened a little.

We have implemented some notification software -based out of the UK, we are East Coast US, that sends a text message if there is a delivery or sending delay with our email system. I have directed the monitoring software to send the notification to my home, ISP provided - BIS monitored email account. This gets checked whenever the BIS server checks for mail and the message is delivered to my device, (does anyone know the interval, and can that be changed -decreased, that the BIS server checks for mail in my mailbox) The notification I have set for “Messages(Home@<hidden>)" alert notification is applied to the message when it is delivered.
Through my blackberry desktop manager (Ver4.3) that I use to connect to my work BES I have the sender's address configured to set off a Level 1 Notification when a message is received -which works on any message sent to the work (BES) account. I was under the assumption that even though the filter was configured on the BES blackberry manager, when it is viewed on -or by, the device it would apply to messages received by either account. This does not happen. Is there a way to set a level 1 -High priority, notification for only certain messages or sender addresses for my home account? This work around is to avoid additional charges from Verizon for international Text messages.
-On a side note when is OS 4.5 going to be available?
Thank you in advance for your assistance

aiharkness
05-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700g)

Except for certain cases (yahoo, google, godaddy) BIS polls every 15 minutes or so. It has been discussed here on the forum in detail, but the gist is that BIS will then poll more frequently if it finds email, until it finds no email, and then reverts to the 15 minute interval.

I'm not sure I understand your issue with defining your target BIS emails as Level 1. Are you using the BIS portal with your carrier to do this using a filter?

TGrabowski
05-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Ha now that’s funny! I forgot all about the Email Settings on my device -that takes me to the online cfg page (I had the icon hidden). Out of site out of mind, I did however check on their site now for cfgs of my home email address and don't see any where that there I can set filters or different delivery notifications. I’ll need to look into what additional management tools my wireless provider offers.
I was trying to set the Level 1 notification directly on the device through email /Options/(Message Option)Email Filters, or I created a filter on my BES desktop manager.
Your answers about BIS delivery make a lot of sense and clarify -in for me, why some messages take 15 minutes and some are delivered almost immediately -unless of course the message that is delivered immediately is sent at the 14th minute before the BIS server checks for messages and it just seems like it checked and delivered faster.

Thank you and I will continue to try to configure this notification.

aiharkness
05-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700g)

I believe it is the universal case that filters cannot be accessed from the handheld. You must do that via browser on a computer, at the website provided by/for your carrier. If you need it, there are links to carrier BIS sites in an article at blackberryfaq.com.

ricpac
05-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Here's where you could access your carrier's BIS website Where can I log into my BIS account? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Where_can_I_log_into_my_BIS_account%3F)

And here's the thread regarding how BIS polls for email http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/126026-how-does-bis-poll-email.html

Good luck!

takeshi
05-02-2008, 09:43 AM
does anyone know the interval, and can that be changed -decreased, that the BIS server checks for mail in my mailbox
Nope. It's fixed and the intervals are partially determined by the type of account that you're integrating with BIS. If you want your alerts pushed faster you need to either use your BES account or have alerts sent to your carrier.blackberry.net address.

I was under the assumption that even though the filter was configured on the BES blackberry manager, when it is viewed on -or by, the device it would apply to messages received by either account. This does not happen. Is there a way to set a level 1 -High priority, notification for only certain messages or sender addresses for my home account?
Filters, Out of Office and a number of other options can be modified on the handhled for BES accounts but for only the BES account. For BIS, you need to log into your carrier's BIS site. Each email account integrated with BIS has its own set of filters so keep that in mind as well (another reason why editing the BES filters wouldn't affect BIS accounts).

BES and BIS operate independently of each other. Consider that you can be on BES only, BIS only or both.

I believe it is the universal case that filters cannot be accessed from the handheld.
That's true for BIS accounts. However, one benefit of BES is that filters can be created/modified/deleted via Messages->Options. However, only the BES filters can be modified via Messages->Options. Even if you're on BES, filters for your BIS accounts have to be modified via the carrier's BIS site.

Ha now that’s funny! I forgot all about the Email Settings on my device -that takes me to the online cfg page (I had the icon hidden). Out of site out of mind, I did however check on their site now for cfgs of my home email address and don't see any where that there I can set filters or different delivery notifications.
I highly recommend accessing Verizon's BIS from your PC. You can access it from the BB but it's much easier to do this sort of thing from your PC's browser. Each email account integrated with BIS has its own set of email filters.

TGrabowski
05-02-2008, 10:38 AM
thank you all for your assistance. Your assistance was a great deal of of help to me and i was able to make the configuration changes i needed.
thanks again and have a great weekend.