PDA

View Full Version : BB newbie question Should I unlock my 8820?

holiam
05-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi guys,
sorry new to BB(I don't know how I ever managed) and new to this forum. I have spent the last hour navigating here and I've been impressed by the size and helpfulness of the BB community so hopefully I will receive some good advice here.

Question.
Should I unlock my BB 8820?

I have a BB 8820 on Orange (UK) on a data only tariff. I have a nokia N73 for voice calls on vodafone. Alas, my mobile has died, and I wanted to know if I should unlock my Orange BB so I can use my vodafone sim?

I know I will need to add a data tariff to my vodafone account, but should this be a big problem? What issues will I receive by doing this?
Any negatives? Will I lose out on any functionality?

Please help? Sorry for the newbie question, I know how frustrating this must be for the experienced BB user.

Regards,
Holiam.

Sith_Apprentice
05-07-2008, 05:04 PM
you wont lose any functionality whatsoever. no negatives, cannot be relocked. HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, Canada’s Cellular Repair Center ß (http://www.horizonwirelessonline.com) will unlock it.

holiam
05-07-2008, 05:17 PM
you wont lose any functionality whatsoever. no negatives, cannot be relocked. HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, Canada’s Cellular Repair Center ß (http://www.horizonwirelessonline.com) will unlock it.

Thanks for your quick response. Even if the phone was totally reset, will this not re-apply the lock?

One other point, with it being unlocked, I assume my current orange sim will continue to work in it if I chose to go back to it if the vodafone sim doesn't work?

Sith_Apprentice
05-07-2008, 05:22 PM
yes it will work. both SIMs will work (one at a time of course). And there is no way to relock the device. Wipe/Reset/Reload OS/Upgrade OS nothing.

John Clark
05-07-2008, 05:23 PM
The device can NEVER be relocked, even if you wanted to. There's nothing you can do to relock it.

holiam
05-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks guys.

I just spoke to vodafone and for an extra £10.00/month they will through in unlimited data tariff for BB - beats the 6mb/month from orange.

Ok time to unlock. Any suggestions of UK companies to unlock?
Will Orange let me have the unlock number if I ring them?

Sith_Apprentice
05-07-2008, 05:41 PM
HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, Canada’s Cellular Repair Center ß (http://www.horizonwirelessonline.com) is a very reputable unlocker. they are based in Canada. As for Orange you would have to call them they might.

John Clark
05-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Don't tell them you are moving it to another carrier, though. Tell them you are travelling and want to use local prepaid sim cards when you're travelling.

Also, don't expect to get UMA on your unlocked device on another carrier. Beyond that it'll work fine.

holiam
05-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Don't tell them you are moving it to another carrier, though. Tell them you are travelling and want to use local prepaid sim cards when you're travelling.

Also, don't expect to get UMA on your unlocked device on another carrier. Beyond that it'll work fine.

Thanks for the tip. is the UMA an Orange exclusive? Does this not work on other networks?

Sith_Apprentice
05-07-2008, 05:59 PM
UMA only works on that carriers branded device. ie, Orange UMA only works on Orange devices. Tmobile UMA works on Tmobile branded devices

holiam
05-07-2008, 06:14 PM
UMA only works on that carriers branded device. ie, Orange UMA only works on Orange devices. Tmobile UMA works on Tmobile branded devices

I see,
well I guess with an unlimited data package I can live without the wifi :-)

Cheers,
Holiam