PDA

View Full Version : BB won't connect to PC

slco
05-07-2008, 10:02 PM
I upgraded to a n 8800 from a 7290, which connected easily to my PC both through the USB cable and through Bluetooth. The 8800 does neither no matter what I try.

What does happen, is that as soon as I connect the BB to the PC, I am treated to a symphony of Windows sound bytes, the type you here when you attach a device to the PC, then the one you would hear when you detach it the device. Attach, detach, over and over again in rapid succession.

When I attach the 7290, no problems at all, so the fault isn't likely the cable of the USB port.

What to do?

John Clark
05-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Have you updated your Desktop Manager software?

slco
05-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Have you updated your Desktop Manager software?

Yes. To 4.3

BTW, I tried to respond to your reply regarding my bluetooth issue. I received back an error message saying that my message was too short, to lengthen it to at least 3 characters. This day just keeps getting better...

John Clark
05-07-2008, 10:28 PM
4.3 has some bugs in it. I recommend 4.2 SP2. I'm not sure that will fix your problem, though. Are you plugging in directly to the computer? You're not plugging into some kind of hub? Also, try changing themes. I've run into issues where some themes don't want to allow the device to connect to the DM. It's rare but I've seen it happen. It's possible that your device has a bad USB Port. Does the BB charge when plugged into the computer?

slco
05-08-2008, 09:38 AM
4.3 has some bugs in it. I recommend 4.2 SP2. I'm not sure that will fix your problem, though. Are you plugging in directly to the computer? You're not plugging into some kind of hub? Also, try changing themes. I've run into issues where some themes don't want to allow the device to connect to the DM. It's rare but I've seen it happen. It's possible that your device has a bad USB Port. Does the BB charge when plugged into the computer?

I tried 4.2 SP and changing themes. Another spectacular failure. The BB is plugged directly into the USB port. The icon on the BB screen indicates that the device is, indeed, charging.

brewkatz
05-08-2008, 12:14 PM
It sounds like a problem with your computer OS, not the Blackberry. Are you using Vista or XP? Do you have a lot of other USB device? Did you remove all the 7290 drivers before you installed the 8820?

Sometimes when I've had USB problems, I go into Device Manager and delete all the USB ports, unplug all USB devices (except the KB and mouse), then reboot. After it reboots and reloads all the ports, I plug in my devices one at a time, e.g. printer, phone, GSP, etc. That usually solves any issues. Tip: Use a PS2 mouse to do this. It will keep working as you remove all the USB ports.