PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 7100v UK'er needs a little help

BadWolf
08-01-2005, 08:50 AM
I've just bought a 7100v from eBay. It's not even arrived yet!

I was wondering if I should unlock it and go with another network. It's simlocked to Vodafone right now.

I understand that Vodafone is quite expensive for data.

My current (non-smart) phone is on Virgin. Do Virgin even have a data tarrif?

What would you do?

Also, do I have to sign up to blackberry for get emails? I can't see where on the site I need to do this, if at all!

As you can tell I'm a realy newbie!

Thanks,

Rob

camerch
08-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Just do a search on the internet for BlackBerry rate plans for carriers in your area..

Just make sure that the plan that you get has a BlackBerry PDP, which means that your rate plan allows you access to the RIM NOC, ask your potential carrier for more details.

idencustom
08-02-2005, 02:49 AM
so you purchased a blackberry without any info at all???

7100v... can be unlocked with no problem. O2 and tmobile are your only choices. Are you in the UK?

BadWolf
08-02-2005, 02:55 AM
Basically yes. I've seen it demoed and liked it so much I wanted one.

I am in the UK. I've spent hours trwling through the various provider websites. Vodafone is particularly bad, IMO. Trying to find prices for data is hopeless.

What i really want is some to say "Well, what I would do is this...." Unlock it and go with O2/ Stick with Vodafone as they have _____ etc.

So Orange is a "No-go"?

Just a bit of advise.

b1ackb1rd
08-02-2005, 03:48 AM
Orange do offer Blackberrys for business customers, but don't publish data settings.

Any Voda shop in the High St will unlock the phone for about £20, then you can use these good pages to upgrade the software.

Virgin don't support Blackberry unfortunately, I've just ported my old Virgin mobile number to Vodafone ... very easy to do, call customer services for a PAC code and it takes about a week to be actioned.

Hope this helps

BadWolf
08-02-2005, 03:59 AM
I don't particularly want Orange. In fact It's probably fairly poor reception where I am. But I can stop looking in that direction if it's not feasible anyway, so thanks for that.

Good news about the PAC code. I have a very good number ( **8888 )I dont want to lose. So again, thanks!

idencustom
08-02-2005, 04:34 AM
i have both the 7100x with o2 and the 7100v with Vodafone. I have to say that people always get it wrong... data is the same form both really... o2 charges me 15 pounds for 5mb and Vodafone charges me 15 pounds for 6 mb. that is the only difference with data tariffs. Reception is never a problem unless im in cow country.... in which case both devices switch to gsm only until i drive past whatever it is.

BadWolf
08-02-2005, 05:04 AM
So not really worth me switching from Voda to O2. Useful info, thanks. Well unless the voice calls are more expensive, but that's less of a problem for me.

I suppose T-Mobile would have a worse reception than Voda/O2, so maybe I'm best sticking with Vodafone.

Which means I dont have to spend getting this thing unlocked then :) Marvelous.

idencustom
08-02-2005, 05:51 AM
If you travel outside the uk... even rarely.. it's worth unlocking. Heading to Italy this week and happy to know, i have a phone with out roaming charges.