PDA

View Full Version : Can't make/rcv calls - new user

Lpowrie
05-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Hi all

Really hope you can help! I bought a 7230 off ebay, it was advertised as unlocked and i have followed the instructions on this site to check that and it does seem to be. The seller on ebay seemed quite reputable.

It was originally of vodaphone and i have an O2 contract. The phone will not let me make or recieve calls. When i press the phone button at the top nothings happens and nor does it if i just try and dial. It says 'O2 - UK' at the top of the screen and when i try ringing it an arrow appears at the top right hand corner but it won't allow me to pick up the call. I have registered it on the blackberry sites and the O2 help but nothing! The really strange thing is that i can send and recieve text messages.

Please help, i have not added on a data package yet as at the moment i am just trying to make calls, not do any fancy emails.

Ta

Laura

John Clark
05-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Welcome to BBF!

Does the device have an IT policy on it? You can check by going to Options >Security Options >General Settings and scrolling down toward the bottom of the page. If it mentions IT policy then you have an IT policy.

Remove IT Policy (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/67224-remove-policy.html)

Lpowrie
05-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi John

I don't think that is it although i do not have a 'general settings' option within security options. I'm starting to wonder whether it might be that the phone application isn't installed because it doesn't have the handset symbol on the menu. I am downloading software from blackberry which i hope will enable me to add the application. Do you think that could be it?

John Clark
05-10-2008, 03:00 PM
The 7230 is an old device. What are the options under Security Options? My bet is an IT policy on the device. That means that it was on a corporate server and the phone was blocked by their corporate policy. This is usually the case.

Lpowrie
05-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Password: Disabled
Securtity Timeout: 2 mins
Lock Handheld upon holtering: No
Content Protection: Disabled
Content Compression: Enabled

John Clark
05-10-2008, 03:02 PM
And nothing below that about an IT policy? You can check to see if the phone app is installed by going to Options >Applications. Look to see if "Phone" is in the list.

Lpowrie
05-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Nope

Lpowrie
05-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Sorry, messages are getting confused, phone is not on the application list and there is nothing about IT policy
\

John Clark
05-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Well, than you are on the right track downloading the OS to your computer. You can make sure the phone app is installed using Desktop Manager.

Lpowrie
05-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Ok, it is taking a while to download so hopefully that will work. Thanks for your help.

katehelen
05-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Ok, it is taking a while to download so hopefully that will work. Thanks for your help.

I purchased a 7280 unlocked for use with AT&T and am able to send and receive txt, but not make or receive calls. I am also missing the phone icon and the phone button is unresponsive. The downloaded software won't work for me - I get to the point where I select where the device is connected to (or click search) and it won't allow me to select either (phone is connected to the pc). Did this download fix your problem? Anyone have any suggestion for me as to how and get the software to work for me. I'm lost
Thanks

John Clark
05-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I'm guessing your BB has an IT policy on it restricting use of the phone. Use the information below to remove the policy.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/67224-remove-policy.html