PDA

View Full Version : Pearl or Curve

King Neptune117
05-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey all my current carrier is Verizon and im debating over which phone to get...the pearl or the curve. Im only 17 so i wont be needing this for business or anything. I just like the features of blackberry's. Anyone have any suggestions?

akosnitzky
05-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Curve has more memory. For your purposes I would check the two keyboards. If you text a lot, you will want the Curve and visa versa.

John Clark
05-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Most younger folks like the size of the Pearl but, yeah, the Curve does have more memory. It's a brand new device.

hnsimpson
05-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Pearl is small enough, and can fit in the pocket if necessary.

Curve has a full keyboard, and is newer for Verizon.

Dealer's choice.

-simpson

05-12-2008, 10:46 PM
What kind of phone are you coming from? The suretype on the pearl is probably more akin to a regular cell phone typing, where a Curve is the full qwerty keyboard, which is a bit different.

Style wise they are really different. I have a pearl, moving to a curve, mainly for business reasons. Pearl is definitely more low profile.

King Neptune117
05-12-2008, 11:24 PM
wow i cant decide. where you happy with your pearl. since this is my first bb and im not using it for business... i think ill go with the pearl though. its 70 dollars cheaper than the curve.

jsntrenkler
05-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Sometimes you have to go with the lower price, I know lot's of folks with Pearls and they love them.

convergent
05-13-2008, 12:13 AM
The only factor should really be the keyboard. Try both of them out.

it's not really what you do more, it's just your comfort level for both. give suretype a try for a little and see how you like it

King Neptune117
05-13-2008, 07:49 PM
now that i hear about the thunder im gonna wait a while. possibly get the bold which looks great also.

mbranscum
05-13-2008, 09:01 PM
the Curve does have more memory.

Really???
I have an 8110 and a 8310. According to this they both have the same amount. Is this a typo?
Compare Phones (Phone Scoop) (http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?id%5B%5D=1474&id%5B%5D=1319&id%5B%5D=&id%5B%5D=&id%5B%5D=)

Redflea
05-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Aside from the differences in the keyboards....the pearl feels more like a phone in your hand because it's slimmer...the Curve is wider and feels, "different." The Pearl fits in your pocket easily, the Curve is more obtrusive and not as pocketable. My coworker just got the Curve, and putting them side-by-side, it surprised both of us how much bigger the curve is.

The Curve has a bigger screen so if you're going to watch videos on it that would be nicer, and you'd have more screen for web browsing...

jovan367
05-14-2008, 02:29 PM
I have a pearl. I love the small size until it comes to viewing graphics on the screen. The keyboard takes a bit of getting used to, but you'll adjust. Make sure when you save that 70 bucks that you're not just settling. If my carrier sold them I would have gotten the curve. HOWEVER, you will be amazed at all the cool things the pearl can do.

Murphy5111
05-14-2008, 04:59 PM
If you're 17 - you'll most likely be typing a lot of words that the predictive text of the pearl won't recognize - and the curve is less than a half inch wider

doe4040
05-14-2008, 05:11 PM
I was in exactly the same position as you buddy.
I chose the Curve not only because of the QWERTY keyboard and larger screen, but because it is more striking
Im sure i could start an argument by saying this but the Pearl, at a glance, looks like most other phones.
Just one look at the Curve with its wider screen and body, and qwerty keyboard and people know youve got something a little more special in the palm of your hand.
However it is all about preference. Go into your nearest Verizon store and have a play on both devices. See how you like the feel of the keys and the size and weight of the device.
It really is all about preference.
Hope you make the right decision.

*cough* curve *cough*

John Clark
05-14-2008, 05:12 PM
If you're 17 - you'll most likely be typing a lot of words that the predictive text of the pearl won't recognize - and the curve is less than a half inch wider

The Pearl will quickly learn your words and that will be a non-issue. My daughter is 13 and uses a Pearl and is lightening fast with it.

wooch
05-14-2008, 05:21 PM
I have the predecessor to the Pearl, the 7130e. Prior to that I had the 7250. Didn't think I'd like not having a fully keyboard but I found just the opposite. I find it much easier to text with the 7130s Keyboard because of it's learning/suggesting capabilities. My fingers don't have to move as far and I find it quicker.

I'm really debating upgrading to the Curve as I'm eligible for NE2. The major issue for me may be the key size as I have large fingers. I'll have to play around with one before making my decision. I found the Pearl's keys too small for my fingers, I'm hoping this is not the case with the curve.

King Neptune117
05-14-2008, 06:09 PM
ok what do you guys think. should i wait for the bold to come out for verizon or get myself the curve right now. I really want the bold but it depends on how long i need to wait for verizon to get it. HELP

strike2tamu
05-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Both are nice...the pearl is more directed fro the younger crowd...and dont forget about the colorpearl app...only available for the pearl.

King Neptune117
05-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Both are nice...the pearl is more directed fro the younger crowd...and dont forget about the colorpearl app...only available for the pearl.

ah yes but that is only for the 8300 verizons model is the 8330. anyways im waiting still because i guess verizon is supposed to announce a few new phones this week so we'll see but as of now im leaning towards the curve.

takeshi
05-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Huh? Pearls are 81xx series devices.

Both are nice...the pearl is more directed fro the younger crowd...
I'm not entirely sold on the notion that SureType and smaller form factor means "younger". There are people in all age brackets that prefer the Pearl.

ok what do you guys think. should i wait for the bold to come out for verizon or get myself the curve right now. I really want the bold but it depends on how long i need to wait for verizon to get it. HELP
Be prepared to wait for a year or more if you're going to hold out for the Bold on VZW. Look at the track record for CDMA device releases. Compare VZW's Curve release date to the release date for the GSM Curve as an example.

Whether you should wait or not is your judgement call.

enrich2u
05-15-2008, 11:09 AM
In functional terms there is very little difference between the Curve and the Pearl, except that the Curve 8320 has a proper QWERTY keyboard and a larger 320 x 240 pixel display. ;-)

Baldie
05-15-2008, 01:38 PM
In functional terms there is very little difference between the Curve and the Pearl, except that the Curve 8320 has a proper QWERTY keyboard and a larger 320 x 240 pixel display. ;-)

I agree on this. Sprint just released the curve, titanium colored to. I was thinking about upgrading as well but I just upgraded a few months ago to the 8130. The functionality of both phones are pretty similar. The only difference between the two are keyboards and screens. I've never had a full keyboard phone before and when I tried it out it just wasn't comfortable for me. I love the fact that I can text with one hand, and have gotten pretty quick at it. I also don't agree with the pearl being more for the younger crowd. There are a bunch of folks on this site alone who own the 8130 and aren't young. There's nothing the pearl can't do that the curve can.

Redflea
05-15-2008, 02:49 PM
I agree on this. Sprint just released the curve, titanium colored to. I was thinking about upgrading as well but I just upgraded a few months ago to the 8130. The functionality of both phones are pretty similar. The only difference between the two are keyboards and screens. I've never had a full keyboard phone before and when I tried it out it just wasn't comfortable for me. I love the fact that I can text with one hand, and have gotten pretty quick at it. I also don't agree with the pearl being more for the younger crowd. There are a bunch of folks on this site alone who own the 8130 and aren't young. There's nothing the pearl can't do that the curve can.

Hear, hear!! My wife and I both own Pearls, and are proud to be old farts in our 40's. :)

King Neptune117
05-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Thats not really the only differences. It has a WAY faster processor in it, better UI, the screen is amazing apparently (this is one of the main reasons i may hold off for the bold), and if I get the bold, then I wont really have to worry about a new device coming out right after I buy it. With the curve, in the back of my mind, I will always be saying "What if I waited for the bold?"

takeshi
05-16-2008, 10:50 AM
if I get the bold, then I wont really have to worry about a new device coming out right after I buy it.
There is always something newer and better in the pipeline. You just have to pick a point in time to jump in the pool.

radimus
05-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Wirelessly posted

There is nothing wrong with waiting. Verizon is expected to get the Thunder later this year, but there is no telling when they'll get the bold. When they do get these devices the prices will be high. $300-400 may not be out of line. When Verizon does bring these out the prices on the current models will drop.

As to whether Pearl or Curve I would suggest reading up on Verizon's return policy and pick the one you think is best. I would try to get the device on a 1 year contract instead os the standard 2 year entanglement as well. Carriers like to rest your contract any time you make a change, so the sooner you get that over with and go month-to-month the better.

radimus
05-16-2008, 01:43 PM
About that waiting, it appears that Verizon might get the Bold in September:

Blackberry 9000 possible release dates and prices (http://tinyurl.com/3tyl3f)

When this hits the shelves the prices on the Curves will drop.

icecold
05-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Wirelessly posted

I know when I was 17 I wanted to stand out from the crowd. How pimp would it be to be one of the few kids in your social circle to have a curve? Take it from someone who switched from a pearl to a curve; the $70 difference is worth it.