PDA

View Full Version : Questions

l Krafty l
05-17-2008, 09:52 PM
We'll, I got the blackberry 8310 Curve for $75 bucks at Best Buy cause I still can't afford the iPhone, and I'm not liking it. I went through hell trying to get it to connect with my Mac through PcoketMac or whatever, and the bluetooth is more crippled than my old verizon enV.

So I have a few questions:

1) Is there a program like the Desktop Manager for windows that we can transfer ringtones, pictrues, etc... easily?

2) I went through all the trouble matching my friends in Address book with photos, and none of them transferred over. Is there a way to do this?

3) I thought there was like 58MB on the internal memory? I couldnt even transfer a 3MB song cause it said there was no room.

4) What's a good theme? I have this iPhone one but theres like iPhone icons here and there and it doesnt look too good.

5) How do you make the screen wake when I receive a message?

6) How do you turn the Auto-Dim off? It gets darker when there no light and the brightness is at max.

JSanders
05-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Welcome to the BBForums.

1. PocketMac and MissingSync are your two best options. Lots of info on them here in the Mac section
2. Transferred over? Just assign their picture in their contact Address Book entry on the BB.
3. Don't put music, media, pictures, etc., in your BB device memory. Definately not a good idea as you will fill your device memory with junk. Get an SD Media Card quickly.
4. There are so many themes--all personal preference. Look in our Media Section of this forum, and at Themes4BB.com| Free BlackBerry Themes| Multimedia For Your Berry (http://www.themes4bb.com)
5. Your screen won't wake when you get a message... the LED light can blink and you can get an audible alert. I think the application BBLight might do what you want, i just don't recall.
6. Options > Screen/Keyboard >Automatically Dim
Backlight = OFF.

Good luck. Give your BB sometime, and be open-minded and willing to accept some changes in conventional operation of a PDA you are accustomed to from your previous devices, and you will be fine.

mjgs1971
05-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Welcome to BB Forums, Krafty! Enjoy your stay.

JSanders, he's the man.

l Krafty l
05-17-2008, 10:20 PM
1. PocketMac and MissingSync are your two best options. Lots of info on them here in the Mac section
Meh.... Them both to work once, after that I dont know...

2. Transferred over? Just assign their picture in their contact Address Book entry on the BB.I did, I had to boot VMware and transfer all those photos over. I just thought I wouldnt have to.

3. Don't put music, media, pictures, etc., in your BB device memory. Definately not a good idea as you will fill your device memory with junk. Get an SD Media Card quickly.Its only 3Mb...

5. Your screen won't wake when you get a message... the LED light can blink and you can get an audible alert. I think the application BBLight might do what you want, i just don't recall.
6. Options > Screen/Keyboard >Automatically Dim
Backlight = OFF.Thanks.

JSanders
05-17-2008, 10:35 PM
meh, and 3mb is over the size limit of a file allowed to be transferred to your device memory--because you don't need to crowd your device memory with junk. You need a Media Card.

You seem really unhappy with your BB. Do you really want it to work for you, or what is your intent? You can get lots of good help here and answers to your questions, but if you are simply just unhappy... you might find another device you enjoy more.

l Krafty l
05-17-2008, 10:46 PM
You seem really unhappy with your BB. Do you really want it to work for you, or what is your intent? You can get lots of good help here and answers to your questions, but if you are simply just unhappy... you might find another device you enjoy more.
I got the Blackberry cause of the sale, and also cause my mom is on AT&T and was paying that and Verizon. So when I saw the sale we decided to put me on her plan so she would save money. But I wanted the iPhone, and knew neither could afford it so I didnt bring it up.

I didnt think trying to get it to connect normally would be such a hassle, and for my enV, I could take a picture and go to Bluetooth and transfer it from my enV to my Mac, but I cant even browse my device on the BB. I dont understand why.

JSanders
05-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Well good luck with it, whatever you decide. You will find many former iPhone users here, but BB and Macs take special care, but they do play well together once they learn each others limitations and abilities.

l Krafty l
05-18-2008, 03:18 AM
Well good luck with it, whatever you decide. You will find many former iPhone users here, but BB and Macs take special care, but they do play well together once they learn each others limitations and abilities.

I suppose. I'll keep tabs on PocketMac cause I heard RIM is still working on it.

adorkable
05-18-2008, 09:13 AM
I've never had any problems with connecting my BB to my Mac. I use MissingSync, and I am also able to transfer pictures from my BB to my Mac via bluetooth and vice versa.

I know you had your heart set on an iPhone, but there are plenty of people out there that hate their iPhones, and I knew several people that have switched from the iPhone to a blackberry.

You can get a 1GB SD media card for cheap, and I would recommend getting one if you plan on putting music on your phone. Even if you didn't want to put music on your phone, I'd still recommend one if you take a lot of pictures.

For themes, I just stick with the default T-Mobile one and change the wallpaper. No matter what, you're never going to get your BB to look as sleek as an iPhone. That's just one advantage Apple has over RIM. They have better designers.

What kind of trouble are you running into when you try to connect your BB via bluetooth for sending photos and stuff? I can try to help you.

Really my only complaint as a Mac user when it comes to my BlackBerry is the inability to install applications that don't have an over the air option. I'm looking into a workaround at the moment, though.

l Krafty l
05-18-2008, 10:25 AM
For themes, I just stick with the default T-Mobile one and change the wallpaper. No matter what, you're never going to get your BB to look as sleek as an iPhone. That's just one advantage Apple has over RIM. They have better designers.Im not set on just an iPhone theme. It was the best out of some sites that I looked at. I just like an overall decent theme, cause I like customization. Couldn't do anything theme-wise with the enV though.

I know you had your heart set on an iPhone, but there are plenty of people out there that hate their iPhones, and I knew several people that have switched from the iPhone to a blackberry.I suppose. I think it's cause maybe I'm not used to it. Someone told me if the iPhone ever comes out around $200 I could trade. I text a lot, which is one thing that prevented me from getting it at launch due to its ultra-small keyboard.

What kind of trouble are you running into when you try to connect your BB via bluetooth for sending photos and stuff? I can try to help you.
Example:
http://i29.tinypic.com/1zcmvyt.png

See how for the LG I can just browse the device and send things? How come it can't be that easy? Is there a way to force it to browse the device via bluetooth?

I've never had any problems with connecting my BB to my Mac. I use MissingSync, and I am also able to transfer pictures from my BB to my Mac via bluetooth and vice versa.

How do you transfer ringtones?

adorkable
05-18-2008, 10:42 AM
I was able to figure out a workaround for installing applications. YAY! http://www.blackberryforums.com/mac-users-corner/130440-how-install-applications-don-t-have-over-air-option.html

For my blackberry, I'm not able to explore like I am with other devices. However, for any file I would like to send, I right click the file and select send to bluetooth device and then select my BB. Then on the blackberry, there's also a send via bluetooth option for every file. The only way I know how to send multiple files at once, though, is by USB. :\

l Krafty l
05-18-2008, 10:48 AM
I was able to figure out a workaround for installing applications. YAY! http://www.blackberryforums.com/mac-users-corner/130440-how-install-applications-don-t-have-over-air-option.html

For my blackberry, I'm not able to explore like I am with other devices. However, for any file I would like to send, I right click the file and select send to bluetooth device and then select my BB. Then on the blackberry, there's also a send via bluetooth option for every file. The only way I know how to send multiple files at once, though, is by USB. :\

Thanks, I'll try that.

l Krafty l
05-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Ok, I tried the "Send Using Bluetooth" thing for pictures and it wouldn't connect to my computer. I paired it and everything and it just refuses to work.

Feps
11-09-2008, 11:12 PM
hey can someone help me.. i dont know how to transfer themes and apps.. if its possible to get free apps.. to my bb from my mac... the pocketmac doesn;t have a tab for this it only shows on the blackberry status to buy applications but im not buying them .. help please as soon as posible!! THANKS A LOT

ricpac
11-10-2008, 03:37 AM
Ok, I tried the "Send Using Bluetooth" thing for pictures and it wouldn't connect to my computer. I paired it and everything and it just refuses to work.

Hi Krafty,

You need to enable Bluetooth Sharing in System Prefs > Sharing.
And that should do it. Let me know. ;-)