PDA

View Full Version : IM Client?

Skompton
05-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Does anyone know an IM client that runs off SMS? I don't have the data plan, so I need something that runs off SMS, because I have the BlackBerry Feature Enabler and unlimited texts. I'm currently using OZ, but I'm sick of the lag, so does anyone else no of another IM client for my Curve?

PS: I'm not planning on getting a data plan, I can't afford one right now.

akosnitzky
05-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Take a look at IM+.

Dawg
05-18-2008, 10:46 AM
im + uses data not sms

What are my charges to provider while using IM+?
IM+ has nothing to do with SMS service. IM+ is using your GPRS connection only and you have to pay for amount of information you are sending and receiving.

This is from the IM+ website

Skompton
05-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Any other suggestions?

Dawg
05-18-2008, 10:52 AM
oz is about your only choice with out a data plan.

akosnitzky
05-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Did I read it wrong?

IM+ All-in-One Mobile Messenger on Smartphone.net (http://www.smartphone.net/software_detail.asp?id=3293)

Skompton
05-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Ahhh! OZ tends to lag on me. :(

Dawg
05-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Did I read it wrong?

IM+ All-in-One Mobile Messenger on Smartphone.net (http://www.smartphone.net/software_detail.asp?id=3293)

not sure mine came directly from their site yours from a seperate site so not sure I think the service that you put up still costs the ned user

marine103
05-20-2008, 03:12 PM
At this point I don't think anyone is going the other route of IM run over texting. Everyone wants to avoid SMS fees so they use IM and buying the data package is less expensive depending on how many messages your sending a day.

Dawg
05-20-2008, 03:28 PM
At this point I don't think anyone is going the other route of IM run over texting. Everyone wants to avoid SMS fees so they use IM and buying the data package is less expensive depending on how many messages your sending a day.

Did this make sense to anyone else? if so please explain it i reread it and it just doesnt make sense to me.

djm2
05-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Did this make sense to anyone else? if so please explain it i reread it and it just doesnt make sense to me.

You're right Dawg, it is tortured use of the English language. I am reasonably certain that he is saying that instant messaging via SMS is out of favor these days, and that most folks are using a model for IM that is based on data plans. (But the first time I read it I swore that he was advocating both IM models.)

Dawg
05-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Ok thanks for clarifying I read it and read it again and I just couldnt make sense of it

trooperdjb
05-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I got OZ from the AT&T thing that came on my BB. If that's using SMS I probably don't want that. Which is the consensus best SMS over DATA? Going to Yahoo's IM WAP was PAINFUL.

Thanks

Trooper

marine103
05-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Haha, I'm sorry I guess I should proof my posts before I submit them. It was a long day at work. What I was trying to say is that the IM clients that you are able to download on blackberries run over the data packages versus using SMS plans to send the "instant messages". From my experience people want to use clients that send "text" over data plans versus SMS plans because it is cheaper to do so.

Dawg
05-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I got OZ from the AT&T thing that came on my BB. If that's using SMS I probably don't want that. Which is the consensus best SMS over DATA? Going to Yahoo's IM WAP was PAINFUL.

Thanks

Trooper

yes OZ uses SMS

Haha, I'm sorry I guess I should proof my posts before I submit them. It was a long day at work. What I was trying to say is that the IM clients that you are able to download on blackberries run over the data packages versus using SMS plans to send the "instant messages". From my experience people want to use clients that send "text" over data plans versus SMS plans because it is cheaper to do so.

Thats ok I understand I have days like that. I was just making sure it wasnt me.:oops:

trooperdjb
05-20-2008, 06:55 PM
yes OZ uses SMS

Thanks, guess it's time to look for a better IM program. Reading around maybe JiveTalk?

Thats ok I understand I have days like that. I was just making sure it wasnt me.:oops:

Nope we all have days like that, usually one after another.