PDA

View Full Version : REALLY bizarre - can't set up a redirect in Outlook 2003...

anthonymoody
10-13-2004, 04:58 PM
I'm using the 7100t with BWC. I have it set up for my pop account no problem. Thing is, I'd really like to get my hotmail (directly, not via browsing). I use Outlook 2003 to read my Hotmail.

I looked in the Outlook help file for instructions on setting up a redirect. I figure'd I'd redirect Hotmail from Outlook to my pop account, which would then get to my BB. (As an aside you need to set up a redirect rather than a forward b/c forwarding would make the 'from' address my own hotmail address).

Anyway, the instructions are pretty clear. You have to set up a rule in Outlook to do this. Thing is, when I go to select the rule properties, many options are there (including forwarding), but NOT redirecting - *despite* the fact that the outlook 2003 help says it should be there.

Any thoughts on this weirdness?

Thanks,
TM

PS - or, alternatively, any thoughts on getting hotmail other ways? And no, hotmail itself allows neither pop access nor forwarding :( This is a peeve of mine since RIM's propaganda on the 7100t specifically mentions Hotmail access. According to RIM support M$FT is blocking the access...

rcg
10-13-2004, 05:34 PM
It's true MS is blocking access....

MS is also going to charge customers for outlook access as well...

In the rules configuration there should be an action to "Foward to People or Distribution List"

Are you saying there is not in your rules table?

anthonymoody
10-14-2004, 07:41 AM
Hi rcq,

Interesting about MS going to charge for Outlook access. Jeez. I already pay for 'upgraded' hotmail so hopefully that charge will cover this capability.

And no that's not exactly what I'm saying: "Forward to People or Distribution List" is among the choices. "Redirect to People or Distribution List" isn't. Weird huh? In Outlook help it specifically describes the redirect function as distinct from the forward function.

Forward would change the FROM address, redirect would not. At first I thought maybe Microsoft had removed the choice when setting up rules for hotmail accounts. So I tried to set one up for my POP account and I found the same thing - the redirect choice is not on the list. The forwarding choices are, but not the redirect.

I called microsoft support and after 1/2 on the phone with the guy trying in vain to fix this I had to go. If anyone has any thoughts on this it would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
TM

mk1151
10-14-2004, 07:48 AM
Well I know this (http://www.reqwireless.com/hotviewer.html) is where you can find a great hotmail viewer. I think that the RIM advertisment is saying that you can access Hotmail, but not necessarily directly through built-in SW. (you know marketing, say what you can do including all possible 3rd party apps)

From the Outlook perspective, although 2k3 supports hotmail, it is as a viewer only and you can compose and send e-mails from Outlook but it is logging into your hotmail account on the back end to do it. I have some sniffer traces to prove this. It is only an different front-end but still confined by the limitations of hotmail, therefore redirection is not available because the Outlook SW is not actively involved with hotmail messages...

I do have a lot of data to support this, but if anyone out there has a different spin, please post because I am curious about this as well...

anthonymoody
10-15-2004, 08:48 AM
I don't know about that mk1151, the option to redirect is simply not in my Outlook 2003, whether with my hotmail account or my pop accounts. I think if what you said were the case then I'd be able to do it with my pop accounts, just not with hotmail. But I don't have the choice with *any* of my accounts from within outlook 2003.

Alas! I'll take a look at that viewer though, thanks!

TM

EDIT - well, I just tried to install the viewer and unfortunately I get the error for which the fix is to do a clean install of the desktop manager software. I'm really loathe to do that b/c I had major issues getting it to work in the first place (I had to go to RIM support b/c TMo was not able to help me). The fix involved creating a new MAPI profile and I'd rather not risk having to do that all over again, especially when I don't remember exactly how to do it! I guess I could try it and call RIM again but ugh! :(

epinaud
10-19-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm just guessing here, but perhaps the OL "redirect" option is only available when using OL with an Exchange server...

anthonymoody
10-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Hmm, I guess that's possible, though the Outlook 2003 help file (where I found the info on how to set up the redirect) doesn't seem to make this distinction. That would suck if so.

TM

KG
10-20-2004, 10:21 AM
How did you find information in the Outlook help about redirecting things. When I do a search I can't find anything?

anthonymoody
10-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Really? Strange. Just typed in redirect email into the help box and the first link returned took me here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011502011033.aspx

...where they specifically spell out the differences b/c forwarding and redirecting. I still can't find the redirect command :(

TM

langopg
06-20-2005, 08:52 PM
I have Outlook 2003 Profesional with SP1 and it is in the list of actions.

vlibo
10-25-2006, 10:20 AM
The redirect feature is an outlook 2k3 exchange feature and has to be set up in the rule wizard on the exchange server side. I'm attempting to do the same thing. I've set up the rule but my messages are not getting redirected to the BB. I'm planning to do some more research into it when I get back to the office. I'll try to keep you all posted