PDA

View Full Version : Will the BOLD have Threaded SMS?

luxurynick
05-21-2008, 06:52 PM
EOM

Thanks in advance guys

Cory Scheuer
05-21-2008, 06:57 PM
i doubt it... i believe it will be some sort of app that will need to be made...

Blackberryer
05-21-2008, 07:14 PM
One of the most overrated features on the iPhone. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I just don't maintain enough multiple SMS conversations during the day that I require the ability to follow the entire conversation all over again with each new message.

Dawg
05-21-2008, 07:17 PM
I feel the same way i just dont understand the ned for this app that these folks are asking for. I delete SMS as soon as i get done reading them.

ezrunner
05-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (et tu brute'?)

I do the same as Dawg unless I may need that sms ay a later date then I save the message

b00st3d
05-21-2008, 07:57 PM
they kind of are already threaded...

if i look at an old sms, it shows the previous sms's from the same person as well.

CrazEtooN
05-22-2008, 12:44 AM
Single most overrated feature of the iPhone? You do realize that threaded SMS has been in use and popular since LONG before the iPhone, right? Gotta love the pot shots taken at the iPhone at every opportunity...

greggebhardt
05-22-2008, 05:06 AM
Single most overrated feature of the iPhone? You do realize that threaded SMS has been in use and popular since LONG before the iPhone, right? Gotta love the pot shots taken at the iPhone at every opportunity...

Sounds like you iPhone people are a little over sensitive.

I doubt making SMS better is on RIM's list of things to do but who knows as they are aiming for the consumer market.

g_patrick15
05-22-2008, 05:47 AM
The only phones to feature threaded sms are Palm devices running Garnet and the iPhone. Most people use basic to mid tier phones anyway, and as long as you CAN text is all that matters to most. I mean it would be neat, but not at all a deviding factor in a purchase

Blackberryer
05-22-2008, 09:06 AM

I own an iPhone, I love the device and think it's pretty cool. I'm well aware that threaded SMS has been in use previously, but it was one of the features highlighted with this device. My believing it is overrated extends to its use on *any* device, but it just so happens I was talking about the device that *I* owned.

Did your knee hurt from you jerking it so hard?

numetheus
05-22-2008, 09:29 AM
One of the most overrated features on the iPhone. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I just don't maintain enough multiple SMS conversations during the day that I require the ability to follow the entire conversation all over again with each new message.

Threaded SMS has absolutely nothing to do with the iPhone. People have wanted threaded SMS before the iPhone was a glimmer in the eyes of people. The question was always .... "How can I get threaded SMS like my Treo?"

The Treo is what made threaded SMS popular. That being said, I think threaded SMS is extremely convenient. But then again, thats just my opinion.

rambo47
05-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Threaded SMS has absolutely nothing to do with the iPhone. People have wanted threaded SMS before the iPhone was a glimmer in the eyes of people. The question was always .... "How can I get threaded SMS like my Treo?"

The Treo is what made threaded SMS popular. That being said, I think threaded SMS is extremely convenient. But then again, thats just my opinion.

I second that. The threaded SMS is not only convenient for storing messages, but it keeps your conversation organized so looking back at what you said is a snap. If your text messages are only one or two responses before the conversation is over then threaded SMS might be much ado about nothing for you. But if you have 10 or more responses within one conversation then threaded SMS is king.

numetheus
05-22-2008, 10:36 AM
I second that. The threaded SMS is not only convenient for storing messages, but it keeps your conversation organized so looking back at what you said is a snap. If your text messages are only one or two responses before the conversation is over then threaded SMS might be much ado about nothing for you. But if you have 10 or more responses within one conversation then threaded SMS is king.

Yeah. I hold multiple conversations with multiple people throughout the entire day. For someone like me, you almost have to have threaded SMS or things get EXTREMELY cluttered. Between 12 separate conversations I can easily burn through well over 1000 sms messages a day. My messages list is a mess without it being threaded.

Outrigger
05-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I feel the same way i just dont understand the ned for this app that these folks are asking for. I delete SMS as soon as i get done reading them.

just because you don't understand the need for it and delete yours as soon as you're done, doesn't mean there isn't a need or a market out there for it. WinMo never had threaded SMS, but there was such a strong demand for it, that when Palm made the Treo 750 running WinMo, they decided to implement threaded SMS just for that device.

numetheus
05-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Wirelessly posted

just because you don't understand the need for it and delete yours as soon as you're done, doesn't mean there isn't a need or a market out there for it. WinMo never had threaded SMS, but there was such a strong demand for it, that when Palm made the Treo 750 running WinMo, they decided to implement threaded SMS just for that device.

I don't delete them as soon as I get them. I get so many text messages that I don't answer them all right away or I want to refer back to an old one. Nobody I know that uses sms this much deletes each one. We may remove at the end of the day though.

It depends on your situation. If you don't do as much txt messaging then I can see how threaded sms would not be a big deal.

CrazEtooN
05-22-2008, 01:02 PM
I own an iPhone, I love the device and think it's pretty cool. I'm well aware that threaded SMS has been in use previously, but it was one of the features highlighted with this device. My believing it is overrated extends to its use on *any* device, but it just so happens I was talking about the device that *I* owned.

Did your knee hurt from you jerking it so hard?

My knee is quite fine thank you.

I don't care if you own an iPhone, love an iPhone, or hate an iPhone, it was unnecessary to bring it into the comment. All you needed to say was that threaded SMS is overrated, without mentioning the iPhone, to get your point across. Threaded SMS has been something asked about for a long time, and it was in fact made popular by other devices long before the iPhone, and most likely stems from things like AIM.

Throwing the iPhone in there for no reason besides just doing it, really leads me to believe it was yet another pot-shot at it.

Dawg
05-22-2008, 01:18 PM

So how come you picked me out of the crowd to quote when I am not alone in my thinking.

Cory Scheuer
05-22-2008, 01:37 PM
ok... i'm confused here... the BB has threaded SMS does it not? when i am SMSing say 5 people at once, and i get a new one from person A, it shows that they said, and when i go to reply it shows everything previously that was sent... isnt that thread SMS?

CrazEtooN
05-22-2008, 01:44 PM
ok... i'm confused here... the BB has threaded SMS does it not? when i am SMSing say 5 people at once, and i get a new one from person A, it shows that they said, and when i go to reply it shows everything previously that was sent... isnt that thread SMS?

BB has a simplified form of threaded SMS that shows the previous, 7, I think, replies when you go to reply. It is different than true threaded SMS, where the entire conversation plays out on the screen and looks like an IM conversation as opposed to a text message conversation.

numetheus
05-22-2008, 02:18 PM
LOL we need to all chill. I just read a couple of threads where Dawg had to defend himself. LOL.

I just hope someone comes out with a threaded SMS application. I wish they would incorporate it into the messaging application and just provide a switch to turn it on, but I don't think it should be a standard feature because most people don't use SMS as much as I do.

Outrigger
05-22-2008, 03:11 PM
So how come you picked me out of the crowd to quote when I am not alone in my thinking.

well it had to be someone ;-)

point is, there are a few that thinks threaded SMS is pointless, however, there are many out there that want and feel the need for threaded sms including myself.

Before using a Treo, I couldn't care less about it, but after experiencing it, I wouldn't want to go back to anything else, the same way many wouldn't go back to any other phone after using the BB. Not trying to convince anyone that threaded sms is the way to go, just saying that there is a huge demand out there for it.

Cory Scheuer
05-22-2008, 03:16 PM
i would agree to that statement, if someone wrote the program to be combined with the SMS, like empower and BBSmart do for HTML... but for threaded SMS... that i think would please ALOT of people... if only i knew how to write apps for the BB, i would be able to make alot of people happy :)

Blackberryer
05-22-2008, 03:35 PM
My knee is quite fine thank you.

I don't care if you own an iPhone, love an iPhone, or hate an iPhone, it was unnecessary to bring it into the comment. All you needed to say was that threaded SMS is overrated, without mentioning the iPhone, to get your point across. Threaded SMS has been something asked about for a long time, and it was in fact made popular by other devices long before the iPhone, and most likely stems from things like AIM.

Throwing the iPhone in there for no reason besides just doing it, really leads me to believe it was yet another pot-shot at it.

That's your problem, not mine. My only frame of reference for threaded SMS is *my* iPhone. Get it? As in, my experience with USING threaded SMS is entirely tied to the iPhone. It's history, development, and all the supposed outcry for it, are what's irrelevant to my original point. Therefore, my bringing in the iPhone was quite relevant. Your reaction to *my* opinion about threaded SMS as a feature on *my* device, which happens to be an iPhone, was silly. It wasn't a shot at the iPhone, a comment about the iPhone vs. a Blackberry, a comment about Steve Jobs, a comment about Macs vs. PC's or whatever else your fevered imagination led you to believe.

Really, it's okay to just admit you were wrong and overreacted. God forbid anyone on an internet message board ever do something like that. We might accidentally wind up with more civil conversations or something.

Dinan3
05-22-2008, 04:04 PM
BlackBerry does have threaded SMS. it just isn't called that nor is it as nice as the others, but it manually works.

options > SMS Text > number of previous items (up to 50).

this will show you the last 50 SMS messages "thread-like" between you and the other person.

rambo47
05-22-2008, 04:37 PM
True threaded SMS will show only a single SMS in your inbox, and when you click on it to open it you see the entire conversation laid out like an IM chat. Rather than create a separate message for each response it adds to the current conversation. After typing 10 responses to 10 incoming messages your inbox still shows the one message, not a pile of 20 individual ones. Nobody does SMS like the Palm Treo. Unfortunately, that's about all they do well.

Dawg
05-22-2008, 05:26 PM
well it had to be someone ;-)

point is, there are a few that thinks threaded SMS is pointless, however, there are many out there that want and feel the need for threaded sms including myself.

You say only a few find it pointless thats just in this thread. Its been discussed here many times and there are just as many who say its not needed as there are those who say it is.

I really dont care if they make an app or not I have used the treo with it and I can take it or leave it. Its no skin of my back I was just giving my opinion like everyone else.

pip611
06-24-2008, 09:28 AM
How do I turn on show sent messages just for my SMS inbox? Not my BES inbox.

JG in SB
06-24-2008, 01:05 PM
they kind of are already threaded...

if i look at an old sms, it shows the previous sms's from the same person as well.

Yeah, but they aren't in that cute "comic book bubble" format. Wouldn't that make your life more complete and fulfilling?

rambo47
06-24-2008, 04:32 PM
When I look in the Messaging Inbox on my Treo I see 3 messages; one for a conversation with John, another one for a conversation with Alexis, and a third for my conversation with Anne. All together it's like 53 responses from me and a like amount from them. Click on any conversation and it opens up like an AOL IM chat session. Muy convenient. Some of these conversations span several hours. When I go back and forth from one conversation to another it gets really messy. Scrolling through to the last message from any one person would be a pain in the butt, especially with over 50 individual messages that would be in my Inbox without threaded SMS.

ArgonNJ
06-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Read these boards long enough and you will understand. If BB doesn't have it then they must not need it. Don't let it drive you crazy because its like arguing with a wall.

LunkHead
06-24-2008, 07:47 PM
If you hate the BB so much Argon why do you still bother (troll) us????

ArgonNJ
06-24-2008, 07:54 PM
If you hate the BB so much Argon why do you still bother (troll) us????
I don't hate it, in fact I think the BB is a great device and would own one again if the device fit my needs at the time. Despite owning an iphone, I don't think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. It could take some ques from BB and I think BB could take some from the iphone. I was only stating that some feel if the BB doesn't have a particular feature, then it either isn't important or not needed and for that poster not to get worked up over it as that is the way message boards are. I'm sure some iphone zealots feel that way too, but that's not me.

LunkHead
06-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Fair answer......

wunderbar
06-25-2008, 10:41 AM
A lot of people here also don't understand that while there are a lot of people who do not use SMS, there is an entire generation of people that are/have grown up with SMS, and those people are starting to look more towards Blackberries. SMS is a HUGE feature for a lot of people. look at a product like the T-Mobile Sidekick. That is pretty much a phone designed for SMS first, everything else second.

RIM would be very smart to drastically improve how Blackberries handle SMS, as a new generation of smartphone buyers are looking for the best SMS experience possible.

Semi5
06-25-2008, 11:12 AM
RIM claims the bold will have an updated SMS UI. I wonder if this means threaded sms.

berryaddict1
07-08-2008, 02:48 AM
with the bold you can see previous sms's i dont know if you would really class this as threaded sms though

just thought that i would add that

PDM
07-08-2008, 06:03 AM
Some of you may not have seen this is "Aftermarket Section" : http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/137404-threaded-sms-beta-testing-open-all.html

muck
07-13-2008, 04:00 AM
havent we all moved to email?

what are we doing still sending sms?

stevenmz
07-13-2008, 06:48 AM
What's sms?:razz:

Stinsonddog
10-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't find it on my new BOLD which I think is a great device. I would say this is my biggest dissapointment of all which can of course be fixed by an OS upgrade. I hope they do it.