PDA

View Full Version : Saving voicemail as an audio file

bakwaswalla
05-22-2008, 11:23 AM
I have a blackberry 8800 with TMOBILE service. I have a voicemail that I would like to save as an audio file on my computer so that I can share it with friends and have a permanent copy of it as well.

I was able to connect the 8800 to my laptop via bluetooth and listen to voicemail on my laptop's speakers. But I need to know how I can then record the audio stream that is coming out of my speakers.

Any help will be much appreciated.

akosnitzky
05-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Take a look at "you mail". You can get your voice mails sent to you as an attachment.

bakwaswalla
05-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Take a look at "you mail". You can get your voice mails sent to you as an attachment.
Thanks akosnitzy. But You mail will only forward new voicemails as emails. What about existing voicemails? The messages that are already in my voicemail?

RoC1909
05-23-2008, 03:19 PM
The only way that I could think of (and I am pretty Blackberry stupid) would be to use the headphone jack that is on your 8800 (which is the same model that I have) and connect a appropriate audio cable from the BB to your computer. Then you can use some audio software to record it.

I have a miniature digital recorder (like those hand held recorders you see in meetings) and I wanted to get a recording off of it onto my computer. I used a 1/8" male to male connector (again, your mileage will vary with what type of cable to use) that I got at Radio Shack and connected one end to the headphone jack and the other to my soundcard and then used Sony Acid to make a MP3 out of it. The sound wasn't all that great but you can still understand what was said. Using software like Acid (or any other sound recording software) you can probably clean up the file and get it to sound pretty good.

Hope that helps.

RoC

hollywoodfrodo
05-23-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm new to BB, but a long time audio/video phile. There are several ways to do it, but basically you need software that lets you take sound that's either coming into your computer through an outside source OR being played on your computer through your sound card and rip it into MP3 (or others formats). I use AVS4You software and MicroSoft Digital Music Recorder. If it's a short message, Windows has a Voice Recorder built into it that can be used. You can access it easily through Windows Movie Maker.

You just need to connect your output sound jack from your phone to your "Line In" or "Mic In" on your computer. Remember the jack on your phone isn't the same as your Ipod because it carry's 2 audio channels and 1 mic channel, so you'll likely need an adapter, but those can be bought just about anywhere (like Radioshack) or on EBAY for dirt cheap if you're not in a hurry.

Then all you have to do is play it on your phone, and record it using the software which will save it as an audio file on your computer.

Sounds complicated, but once you do it once, you'll realize you can use the same thing to do all kinds of fun things (like create an album from a live performance on TV for example). And it's not really all that hard.