PDA

View Full Version : apps that don't work with beta

ajdaniel
05-22-2008, 09:32 PM
So I loaded 4.5.0.37 and it seems that google sync won't work. Additionally, on custom themes that I loaded (iberry for example), the top portion of the icon (only) screen reverts to the default design and fonts. Google maps appears to work on this version.

fizzleation
05-22-2008, 09:56 PM
its a beta...

TroyDBrown
05-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Wirelessly posted

A lot of apps don't work with 4.5. Like stated above BETA.

I would guess within a few weeks of release the applications will be updated.

ajdaniel
05-22-2008, 10:35 PM
its a beta...

thanks! pretty much everyone's response to a question relating to this beta release. FYI, the point of a beta is to iron out the bugs.

jibi
05-22-2008, 10:55 PM
...if you're a beta customer, perhaps. The point of the beta is to iron out bugs within the actual OS and software within the RIM installation. Until RIM releases JDE 4.5 or JDE 4.6, I wouldn't really be concerned with third-party applications not working (might be good to keep a list of those that do work properly). With all of the routines that are retired from one JDE release to another, some applications are bound not to work with future versions of the OS.

fizzleation
05-22-2008, 10:59 PM
thanks dunce. pretty much everyone's response to a question relating to this beta release. FYI, the point of a beta is to iron out the bugs.

wow "dunce"? congrats on your maturity... If you want bugs ironed on, report it through the beta portal for RIM beta testers. Oh wait, you can't get in can you? so wait.. explain to me why you have the beta?

If you aren't supposed to have the beta, don't look for solutions to the problems with it.

justajason
05-22-2008, 11:03 PM
OMG! Theres a lot of slinging in here. Namely $hit....Who cares who has it... I have it, others have it. And at this point it does not matter how anyone got their copy. The topic was supposed to be about what programs apparently DO NOT work on the new OS.

Im not a moderator, and dont want to be, but please, lets stay on topic....

fizzleation
05-22-2008, 11:10 PM
well said jibi. That is exactly why there is no point to perusing compatibility issues with beta os. Leave that to the official testers and 3rd party vendors. You get your choice of playing with the newest os, or having all your apps work. not both.

skottema
05-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Back on TOPIC, google sync works great for me (4.5.0.37). Hope that helps!

udontknowjack
05-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Google Maps still doesn't work for me. At WES I was told RIM developers called Google Developers and told them exactly what to change in their code so it wil work with 4.5. The issues is Google, not RIM at this point.

Cory Scheuer
05-23-2008, 12:28 AM
everything works for me in 4.5.0.18... viigo, minimoni, OTA sync, opera, facebook, BBalerts, jivetalk, BBLight, beyond411, todomatrix... everything

ajdaniel
05-23-2008, 12:29 AM
weird. what exactly was your problem with google maps because that seems to be working for me while google sync simply won't login.

ajdaniel
05-23-2008, 12:47 AM
well humdigity. on reinstall of googly sync it now works.

mickeykool
05-23-2008, 08:46 AM
In come cases if you don't have Documents to go installed some of the other apps won't work. My jive talk won't work and i keep getting an error msg w/ gmail app. So I'm gonna go and install docs to go and see if that clears up the errors.

ajdaniel
05-23-2008, 10:41 AM
just discovered coolest feature ever: gps coordinates saved to metadata of photos taken with blackberry!

ChesterJT
05-23-2008, 11:48 AM
I've got 4.5.0.18 on my 8100 and the version of Google Maps I had (2.0.3) did not work with it, but I saw there was an updated version (2.1) and it works just fine now.

Still having an issue with Opera Mini 4.1 asking for permission upon trying to load the first page with all permissions set to Allow.

ajdaniel
05-23-2008, 12:19 PM
i'm a pretty picky person and to be honest this newest beta (37) is so usable with my apps and everyday function that it's a keeper. No downgrading this time. One quirk i have noticed is the speed of the trackball seems to be goofy, even after adjustment of the sensitivity. i don't know how to describe it any better than that.

JEGO82
05-23-2008, 03:46 PM
I have 4.5.0.37 installed and EVERYTHING works great ! no issues so far :)

Marosas
05-23-2008, 04:49 PM
I have 4.5.0.37 installed and EVERYTHING works great ! no issues so far :)

Do you use Empower?

ajdaniel
05-23-2008, 05:19 PM
i for one don't use empower or any other html viewer. i don't care about my email enough to buy that. I'm finding it hard enough to bite the bullet and buy jivetalk.

justajason
05-23-2008, 11:00 PM
OMG! I may never put this thing down again. I LOVE the browser, the media player, the whole schmeel! The GUI ROCKS... And it is snappier than any of the others.

Did I mention the Browser?

ajdaniel
05-23-2008, 11:38 PM
are you referring to the 8310 in general or the beta os?

justajason
05-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Both! Its like the keys to my truck, they would have to pry it from my cold dead hands!!!

GT5L
05-24-2008, 09:34 AM
on 4.5 in general roblock does not work, on 4.5.0.10 and 37 empower HTML does not work. Oh yeah, UMA does not work on my 8320 using 4.5.0.37 but it works with 18

fizzleation
05-24-2008, 06:51 PM
just discovered coolest feature ever: gps coordinates saved to metadata of photos taken with blackberry!

Thank you for being impressed by this too! I was blown away and my girlfriend totally didn't get it...

ajdaniel
05-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Thank you for being impressed by this too! I was blown away and my girlfriend totally didn't get it...

unfortunately i also discovered that this feature is finicky and i have numerous photos with this feature enabled that have no gps data. GPS in general in OS 4.5 seems to be slower to update and refresh than other os's.

ChesterJT
05-27-2008, 12:49 PM
So far the only outside app that is giving me problems is Opera Mini 4.1. It still asks for permission every time I try to go anywhere upon loading. After that first question it won't ask again until I close the program and reload it later. Other than that it works perfectly so just a minor annoyance really.

Google maps didn't work until I grabbed 2.1 and now it's fine. Yahoo Messenger works fine. Facebook never seems to show up when changing OSs even though it appears in the Applications list. A simple uninstall/install fixes that thought and it works fine. Only other things I have are some games and they work fine too.

boxmeister
05-29-2008, 03:20 PM
on 4.5 in general roblock does not work, on 4.5.0.10 and 37 empower HTML does not work. Oh yeah, UMA does not work on my 8320 using 4.5.0.37 but it works with 18

Empower was the first thing to go...
However, not sweating it, since html email will be supported on 4.5 once the BIS is upgraded (I would predict simultaneously w/launch of the 4.5)

Only other app I have had issues with regarding 4.5 is iTookThisOnMyPhone, which is pretty new anyway.

FYI for people having issues w/Opera Mini, there is a new build of 4.1 you should download that goes through BIS as the APN. No issues w/4.5, works great in both .10 and .37 8-)

hd_rider
07-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Have 4.5.0.46 loaded on my TMo 8320. The only problem I've run into is with BBAlerts. For some reason, it will not adhere to the schedule I've defined for notifications.

In BBAlerts, you are able to define weekday and weekend schedules used for alerting. Each of those schedules has an option box for the LED to "alert always". Even though I have these boxes unchecked, BBAlerts is still alerting 24 hours a day via LED according to the colors I have defined for each type of alert (missed e-mails, phone calls, etc.).

Has anyone else encountered this? Does anyone know how I can contact the publisher of the BBAlerts application just to let them know what I've encountered? I don't expect them to fix this right now and fully understand I'm using a beta, but I just want to make them aware of the issue in case this turns out to be an incompatibility issue with the 4.5.x OS.

vinmontRD
07-02-2008, 08:50 AM
I've got 4.5.0.42 loaded on my 8300 (unlocked, running on T-Mobile). Only thing not working is the well-known WMI bug. Aside from that, everything is running nicely. 3rd party apps I typically use include:
- Viigo (tango beta right now)
- MaraTick
- BBWeather
- JiveTalk
- Opera Mini
- LiveSearch
- Google Maps
...and the Docs To Go add-in that comes with 4.5 (updated OTA)

Everything on the list is working perfectly it seems.

- Jon

OH -- the reason I started to post in the first place! Google Sync: seems to work *beautifully* with .42, except perhaps it's not reporting that it works? -- the update was almost silly fast: I made a change in my web calendar, then clicked the Google sync icon in the BB. It reported that the last sync had been about 10 mins ago, so I forced an immediate sync. After a couple of seconds it reported that there was nothing to sync. So I opened my BB calendar, and amazingly enough, the new calendar item from the web calendar was there already! I will experiment more, but it seems to working just fine...

Nitroball13
07-04-2008, 05:07 PM
cant download apps using opera mini...switch to bb browser

Shagasaur
07-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Just went from 4.2 to .37 with no gliches.. Google Maps works.. BBlight works.. Have not tried Google Sync though.