PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a blackberry 8830 on ebay

aboutyrski
05-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Hey, I just bought a Blackberry 8830 on ebay to try it out and I am currently using the Samsung sch-i760 WM6 phone. Has anyone used a WM6 phone and a Blackberry? Which would you suggest using? compare and contrast?

rachamphetamine
05-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Here's an interesting article that I found about this very topic: BlackBerry OS vs. Windows Mobile 6 (http://www.laptopmag.com/review/software/blackbbery-vs-windows-mobile-6.aspx)

aboutyrski
05-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Here's an interesting article that I found about this very topic: BlackBerry OS vs. Windows Mobile 6 (http://www.laptopmag.com/review/software/blackbbery-vs-windows-mobile-6.aspx)

Oh, yeah I read that article earlier, I just wanted to know if anyone would suggest the Blackberry from personal experience.

djm2
05-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Probably almost everyone on this forum, but then most of us went with BBs because the services delivered are what we value in a mobile device. Your value hierarchy might be different.

Dubdub
05-26-2008, 04:38 PM
I would read the following article from the FAQ if you consider activating and using the BB: Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Buying_a_BlackBerry_off_eBay)

wunderbar
05-26-2008, 04:46 PM
I use both on a daily basis. I think that WinMo has more potential to be a great mobile OS, but right now it's a bit slow and bloated. And in a work enviornment, nothing beats the Blackberry. It is as simpla as that.

If MS can ever get WinMo up to it's potential, look out, because it could be a great phone OS, but for right now, Blackberry rules the roost.

aboutyrski
05-26-2008, 05:47 PM
I would read the following article from the FAQ if you consider activating and using the BB: Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Buying_a_BlackBerry_off_eBay)

I bought a blackberry from a person who sells many many phones on ebay. He has about 7 of these blackberries up for sale. Is this bad>?

Dubdub
05-26-2008, 06:18 PM
I bought a blackberry from a person who sells many many phones on ebay. He has about 7 of these blackberries up for sale. Is this bad>?

Maybe, maybe not. Buying a BB isn't like buying (or selling) a regular cell phone. You really need to know what you are doing and you need to trust the seller knows as well.

A lot depends on where the seller got the devices and what he/she knows about them. If they happen to have been reported as lost or stolen, then you have real problems since the carriers will not activate them. If they have been used on BES, you have a different set of problems than if they were used on BIS. That is what the link discusses.

aboutyrski
05-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Maybe, maybe not. Buying a BB isn't like buying (or selling) a regular cell phone. You really need to know what you are doing and you need to trust the seller knows as well.

A lot depends on where the seller got the devices and what he/she knows about them. If they happen to have been reported as lost or stolen, then you have real problems since the carriers will not activate them. If they have been used on BES, you have a different set of problems than if they were used on BIS. That is what the link discusses.

Well the seller says that the phone is ready for activation so im assuming that the ESN is clear. But can you tell me what I should look for that might be wrong with the phone once i recieve it?

Dubdub
05-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Well the seller says that the phone is ready for activation so im assuming that the ESN is clear. But can you tell me what I should look for that might be wrong with the phone once i recieve it?

Go to the link and read the article!

kdrweez
05-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Oh here we go...

Back when I went to college, I had a Samsung i600. It was fun until it got flushed down a toilet.

Over the next few years, I owned a typical LG Verizon flip, then a Sidekick 2 & 3, then decided to go back to WM phones.

I got a Verizon XV6700, and loved it for a while. I quickly found lot of little nagging things, mostly in the lines of stability and performance. Yes it can play movies, but it can't keep up with my typing. It's cool though, and you can do a lot. I reflashed mine to WM6 and overclocked it to like 620mhz. And I kept 3 batteries handy :)

Finally, it got dropped for the 9348573 time, and it wouldn't turn on. Verizon gave me 2 more refurbs, then an XV6800. Great phone, but SAME THING - I found more and more little nagging things. Too many to list. So I decided to get a Berry.

I didn't think I'd like the Berry. The last one I used was years ago, a friend's 7100. The interface seemed so much more primitive, and it can't do Youtube, and I can't tweak things in the registry. But oh well - it's so close in features that I actually use, it's VERY reliable, and things make sense (emphasis on that). The keyboard is ease to use, and the messaging client is efficient. I get so much more done, and enjoy it.

Cliff's notes: I've owned 3 WM phones, and the 8830 is making me never look back.

Hope it helps a little :)

aboutyrski
05-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Oh here we go...

Back when I went to college, I had a Samsung i600. It was fun until it got flushed down a toilet.

Over the next few years, I owned a typical LG Verizon flip, then a Sidekick 2 & 3, then decided to go back to WM phones.

I got a Verizon XV6700, and loved it for a while. I quickly found lot of little nagging things, mostly in the lines of stability and performance. Yes it can play movies, but it can't keep up with my typing. It's cool though, and you can do a lot. I reflashed mine to WM6 and overclocked it to like 620mhz. And I kept 3 batteries handy :)

Finally, it got dropped for the 9348573 time, and it wouldn't turn on. Verizon gave me 2 more refurbs, then an XV6800. Great phone, but SAME THING - I found more and more little nagging things. Too many to list. So I decided to get a Berry.

I didn't think I'd like the Berry. The last one I used was years ago, a friend's 7100. The interface seemed so much more primitive, and it can't do Youtube, and I can't tweak things in the registry. But oh well - it's so close in features that I actually use, it's VERY reliable, and things make sense (emphasis on that). The keyboard is ease to use, and the messaging client is efficient. I get so much more done, and enjoy it.

Cliff's notes: I've owned 3 WM phones, and the 8830 is making me never look back.

Hope it helps a little :)

That does help, thanks =)

hinky
06-03-2008, 10:25 AM
It depends what you want. If you're happy doing only email, IM and a few other things, you'll be fine as the BB does them well. If you want a more solid OS with apps that you don't want to have to reboot, BB is for you (but honestly, I rarely had to reboot my Palm which was loaded with apps.) But if you want the ability to download attachments in email (must have for me), read office documents natively (must have for me) and find quality To Do lists/organizers and desktop client which are efficient, the Blackberry is definitely not for you. If you want cool new apps and mutlimedia, the BB is not for you.

customshopkv1
06-03-2008, 10:34 AM
I went from a 8800 to a T-Mobile Wing to a XV6800 and back to the 8830. The WM6 phones have cool features, but really have sucky reception (cell and bluetooth), plus all the freezing and resetting.

snape
06-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I'd been using WM devices for years, and most recently an i760. I had tried a BB for about a month, and was turned off by what I saw as a clunky and feature-starved OS. That was an older model. Then I needed better e-mail capabilities and something that didn't weigh 100 lbs, so I tried the BB 8830. It took me a couple of weeks to fall in love (and almost every day I thought about ditching it for the WM I was so familiar with), but the i760 finally went bye-bye and I haven't looked back.

Yes, many of the apps are more expensive than in the WM environment, but this is the first device I've found (my opinion only) that handles the role of "PDA" and "PHONE" equally well. My i760 used to get confused when a call came in (a bad sign for a freakin' cell phone), and there were times when it wouldn't answer, even though I was frantically pushing the "send" button and swearing under my breath.

All in all, I've been much happier in the BB environment. It took a bit of time, but it's a relief to be here. :)