PDA

View Full Version : BWC & General Questions

atlcircuit
08-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Hey guys,

I just joined the group and I must say WOW, this an awesome resource. I can't believe all the utilities and information available on here. Thank goodness for this forum, because I would still be trying to figure this stuff out. I just got my 7250 through Sprint, and I love it. I already am using some of the tools mentioned on here. I just wish i didn't have loose my Xingtone abilities...I know...dead horse.. :( Oh well.

I have three POP accounts forwarded to my BB through the BWC, all with seperate domains I own and have hosted/emailed externally. The problem i have is, one the ability to have only one "sent from address", but I see the threads on that. My main question is how to do i get any messages i sent from the BB either new or reply, to show and sync with Outlook on my desktop. Seems like this is done through Intellisync, but I can't figure it out. Anybody know?

Also after downloading some of the applications today i have run into some errors. When I try and use my "Help" button, it gives me an "Uncaught exception:Java.lang.NullPointer Exception" error. This only happened today, after the new BB tools installation. I am sure I changed something and don't rememeber! 8-)

I wasn;t able to download those Vodaphone themes either, is there a new link??

M~

jwaters
08-07-2005, 06:18 AM
For the email, it won't sync with the BWC client. If you send from the BB it's going through the web client and won't hit your Outlook. If you have a gmail account however, you can get it to work by running everything through gmail. Read this thread to see how to do it: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=10646&highlight=gmail

You should read all the thread to see how to set up the filters, I had a little bit of a difficult time setting it up, but now it's working great. Gmail filters out all the spam I was getting, plus keeps everthing in threads. I also get my email I send from the BB downloaded to Outlook.

Dawg
08-07-2005, 06:43 AM
I have all my pop accounts coming to my blackberry and I have outlook pick them up as well. Yeah i have to look at some twice but I can keep bb clean I can delete everything because i have it at home.

whsbuss
08-07-2005, 07:14 AM
Can you explain your Outlook setup to have them all come to your BB? Do you also have BWC poll these email accounts?

Dawg
08-07-2005, 08:04 AM
I have the bwc poll the accounts

jwaters
08-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Outlook will pick up mail you received on the BB with no problem. If you want emails you SEND to come to your outlook you'll need to set up something like I posted previously.

If all you need is email that's coming in, BWC will poll and push the mail to your BB. You'll still be able to d/l it with Outlook. It's email that is sent from or reply from the BB that you won't have because those don't sync. What the link above does for you is allows you to keep track of emails you send or reply to from your BB.

jbairdjr
08-07-2005, 11:02 AM
One thing that I do at work might help.
If you are running Outlook and still want the messages to go to the handheld, make sure you set up Outlook to leave copy of messages on server, and to delete from the server when the Deleted Items folder is emptied.
When I am at work I have Outlook running constantly, checking mail every minute. I dont delete the messages from the server until the Deleted Items folder is emptied. I have my Outlook program at home set up the same way. It doesn't run all of the time, but if I download a message at home, it will still go to my Blackberry.

atlcircuit
08-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks for all the info guys... I am trying to forge my way through the gmail setup thread now, but i am getting confused since there are so many back and forth replies.
If I have three POP email accounts(domains) that are hosted elsewhere and I administer, is it possible to have messages sent and replied to from my BB show up in my sent items in my desktop Outlook for the respective domains? I do have a gmail account that I can use, but have not been on my current setup with BIS/BWC. I have the "bbreply" on my BB also, so i can make sure they reply to the right account when I send a message, and it seems that would help with the masking.
My main question is can this work with all the different POP accounts I have through gmail and filters mentioned, and if so then how do i do it? if there is a specici message in one of the threads, point me there please!! I dont feel like I am using the device to its fullest, and know somehow i can..

thanks

jwaters
08-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Yeah, it is kinda hard to find what you need there. Here is what I have set up:

I have all my email forwarded to my gmail account which filters all the spam and also runs the following filters so that I get the emails I send or reply from the BB into outlook and/or gmail.

If I send a message from my blackberry I have the "sent from" address as my main email account. You can change the "reply to" address, but you can't change the "sent from" address. So, decide what you want the "sent from" address to be and set that in the webclient.

I have a signature that I put on my emails from my BB that says: <This message was sent from my Blackberry!>

Create a label in Gmail called Blackberry Sent

Then in Gmail I have done the following .... Under create a filter, I put the following in the Has the words box ... in:Inbox

Disregard the error that comes up when you click next. Under the actions, select Forward it to: and put your BB email address there.

Create a filter in Gmail that says:
From (use the sent from email you set up in your Web Client)
Has the words: <This message was sent from my Blackberry!>
Does not have the words: John Waters <email address set up in Web Client> wrote:

Go to next and put a check in front of Skip the Inbox
Apply the label Blackberry Sent

(I added the Does not have the words filter so that it worked the way I wanted when I sent or received quoted messages)

Go to your filters in your webclient and add the following:

When a new message has the following conditions:
If ALL of these conditions are true:

From contains (put your sent from address you set in the webclient)

Body contains <This message was sent from my Blackberry!

Then do the following with the message:
Blackberry Web Client
Select - Move to folder Sent Items

Then put a check in front of - Do not forward messages to handheld

I call this BBSent

Now when I send an email from the BB, or I reply to an email from the BB, as long as I add my signature line to it, it's filtered and doesn't come back to my blackberry.

Hope this helps.

atlcircuit
08-07-2005, 05:38 PM
John you are the BOMB!! Thank You so much, just a few more questions if i may..

I have done all that you said in your post. Do I have to manually add the line "Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry powered by Sprint" to my typed messages in the BB, or will the autosignature that is setup to do this for all "outgoing messages" work OK? Also, in the filters was i supposed to include the quotation marks from the comannd "Sent wirelessly via BB..." for gmail? The quotes are in the autosignature on BWC. also the line you stated:
- Then in Gmail I have done the following .... Under create a filter, I put the following in the Has the words box ... in:Inbox
-Was i to put the words in the filter exactly as in:Inbox

Finally, how will this actually integrate with my Outlook and show these messages in Sent Items?? I am it testing now, can't seem to get it working!!

Thanks again~

jwaters
08-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Well, thanks, but all I did was reiterate what others told me to do, hehe ... can't take the credit :).

I have my signature set as autotext. At the end of a message I type zz and it adds my sig. My actual signature is much longer (I have contact info etc. for work). I don't use the Webclient to add the signature because I also send pages from the BB for work and I don't want those having the tag line. I wouldn't think you'd need the quotes since it should catch it whether you put it in as "Sent wirelessly via BB..." or Sent wirelessly via BB..., both contain the same thing. I'd put it in exactly how your tag line is though, I enclose mine in < >.

In Gmail, do it exactly that way in:Inbox

I use Outlook to get email from Gmail via pop3, it downloads the emails that are in the inbox. If you want Outlook to put them in sent items, then filter them with the organizer in Outlook. You could use a couple different ways, filter by the From address, or by the tag line in the body to put them in Sent Items.

atlcircuit
08-07-2005, 07:34 PM
This is going to take some more tweaking on my end, because now i have duplicate messages showing up somehow on my BB! EEK

So my setup now is Outlook for one domain email, and Express for the other. i used the two, so i can have them both up all the time. although now i am thinking there has got to be an easier way, now that the BB is thrown in the equation. Anyway, are you saying that I need to add another outlook account to POP my gmail? SO basically i could not integrate with the current configuration i have, I would need another???

I swear I am not as dumb as i appear here :)
thanks for any further assistance.

jwaters
08-07-2005, 08:28 PM
I had problems getting it all set up too and had to play around with the filters. Are the duplicate messages from those you send, or those that you are getting? If you forward all your messages to gmail, only set up your webclient to poll gmail, otherwise it will get the messages from both. I only set up one email for the BB since I'm only interested in getting my work emails sent to the BB. I would think you could do the same thing with as many email accounts as you need, just tweaking the filters in the web client and gmail to fit each account.

atlcircuit
08-07-2005, 08:57 PM
these are sent messages that I am getting dupes of. I think it may have something to do with the current Outlook settings to leave mail on server and/or the new settings for the forward in either the POP admin panel, or the gmail filters... <Sensory Overload>

jwaters
08-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Yeah, it most likely is. I'm not sure if you have your own mail server that you can set up to forward mail from or not. On my webserver I set up forwarding in my cpanel. Mail coming in to my primary email account is forwarded to my gmail account. I don't leave mail on that server, I pick it up from gmail ..... For example, mail sent to me@<hidden> is forwarded to me@<hidden>. Use Outlook to get the email from gmail. Set up gmail to use whatever reply-to you want people to answer back to. If you reply from the BB you can set the reply-to also.

It sounds like you're picking up mail from both your primary account and gmail. Like I said, I was pretty confused at first also, and just played with the filters till I got it the way I wanted it.

atlcircuit
08-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Thanks John....
I sent you a PM, so i would not eat up this thread with my stupidity!!

Please HELP if you can!!

Nextel User
08-09-2005, 06:09 PM
why do you use outlook for one and express for the other? you do know that you can use outlook for multiple accounts!

atlcircuit
08-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Hey Nextel,

I use them both so I can have them both up simultaneously!!

Nextel User
08-09-2005, 06:50 PM
i did not need to set up that many filters and i have my email that i sent from my bb go automatically to the sent items folder in my outlook.

Nextel User
08-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Hey Nextel,

I use them both so I can have them both up simultaneously!!

when i open outlook i have all three of my accounts open at once. and i can choose which account i want to send from too.

Dawg
08-10-2005, 06:29 AM
same here

atlcircuit
08-10-2005, 05:06 PM
So how do you keep them all organized?? Do you just have multiple folders in your navigation bar? Each account of mine has about 20 folders. So would that still be easier your way??

:)

Nextel User
08-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Outlook is way better than O.Express. you can organize as much as you want using as many rules as you want.

i just have everything come to my inbox.

Dawg
08-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Amen I delted oe from both my pcs and have O 2003 on both