PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway to block someone from calling or texting me?

udeluz
05-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Is there a way to block a number from calls and texts?

TroyDBrown
05-31-2008, 06:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (8120 4.5.037)

Change your # only option

ma077146
05-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Call your carrier and explain why you don't want the offending caller/texter to contact you. If you have a good reason, they may be willing to block the number.

Dawg
05-31-2008, 06:44 PM
you can always set up a profile for that person where it doesnt ring or notify you. Other than that its changing your number

ezrunner
05-31-2008, 06:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (my new touch button BB)

Carrier cannot block a #

Troyd is correct

strike2tamu
05-31-2008, 06:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (8100 Strike 2)

Yep change it.

ricpac
05-31-2008, 06:58 PM
The carrier can surely change your number... just explain politely...

Good luck!

BTW, is this an ex-gf perhaps? (You don't have to answer)

rambo47
05-31-2008, 07:19 PM
This is something T-Mobile is working on, and I expect all the carriers, who just lost a lawsuit over this, will follow suit. The lawsuit said that it was unfair to charge you for text messages or calls that you don't want and not provide a way to opt out of those calls/texts.

For now, Dawg's suggestion of setting a profile that fails to alert you to a particular number is the easiest/most elegant/only way.

DacyJ
05-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Just push the Busy button I guess, as for texts and voice mail just delete them.

akosnitzky
05-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

I am surprised the technology is not there to address this issue if that is indeed the case.

thatboiwes
06-01-2008, 03:21 AM
Motorola phones have this feature. You can set your security to allow calls from only phone numbers listed in your phone book. I wish my BlackBerry had the same feature.

akosnitzky
06-01-2008, 09:00 AM

I sometimes get SPAM text messages. I am at their mercy.

MBW
06-01-2008, 09:29 AM
You're going to resist this, but it's the most effective and least expensive avenue, though not the fastest.

File a police report.

You're dealing with a theft of service. If you're paying for those messages and air minutes, you're also dealing with theft. If the originator is out of state and it happens more than three times, it may even fall under the RICO (racketeering influenced corrupt organization) laws. While your instance may seem like petty theft, a mesaging spammer is committing compounding any crime through volume.

You can trace the source of any phone call or text message - or if you can't, your carrier certainly can - and they are much more likely to cooperate with a police investigation than with a call from you.

And unless this bad guy is severely self-restrained, the odds are it will get sent to the FBI.

BUT...

You may have invited it.

You may have opted into getting these messages when you signed up for something "free".

If you're absolutely sure that isn't the case, file a police report.

They're open now, and if you like, they can deliver.

dhendriksen
06-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Wirelessly posted

There are third party applications that can do this for phone calls, but I don't know about text. Look on Handango. You basically want to setup a blacklist.

Thatzmister2u
06-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Just change the stalkers name in the address book to "Do not Answer"! I have several of these in my book (Yes it allows duplicate entries)! It's great you don't even know which Ex it is! :P

E-

tsac
06-01-2008, 01:00 PM
You're going to resist this, but it's the most effective and least expensive avenue, though not the fastest.

File a police report.

You're dealing with a theft of service. If you're paying for those messages and air minutes, you're also dealing with theft. If the originator is out of state and it happens more than three times, it may even fall under the RICO (racketeering influenced corrupt organization) laws. While your instance may seem like petty theft, a mesaging spammer is committing compounding any crime through volume.

You can trace the source of any phone call or text message - or if you can't, your carrier certainly can - and they are much more likely to cooperate with a police investigation than with a call from you.

And unless this bad guy is severely self-restrained, the odds are it will get sent to the FBI.

BUT...

You may have invited it.

You may have opted into getting these messages when you signed up for something "free".

If you're absolutely sure that isn't the case, file a police report.

They're open now, and if you like, they can deliver.

Considering the average Text message costs $.10 , I doubt the FBI will jump on this:?

MBW
06-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Considering the average spammer is sending millions of messages, a dime each adds up.

And considering how much law enforcement, prosecutors and most government officials frigging hate spam (and are pressured by their constituents to do something about it), you may be surprised by how politically important each little victory can be.

But if you'd rather dismiss it than try it because of your theory about how they work, well, it's your time and money they're burning.

Frank Castle
06-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Above ..

that is alot of Ex's :)

ACDodd
06-02-2008, 02:29 PM
I was getting span on all 5 of my personal phones.
I called ATT and they said they would block them.
We haven't gotten span sense then.
I don't know how they did it but it seems like they solved the problem.
Call them and ask it can't hurt.

rachamphetamine
06-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Just change the stalkers name in the address book to "Do not Answer"! I have several of these in my book (Yes it allows duplicate entries)! It's great you don't even know which Ex it is! :P

E-

Haha, I do this as well. I've never heard of anyone else doing the same, but it sure does work. No better deterrent than having that show up on the caller ID...

strike2tamu
06-02-2008, 05:33 PM
LOL I have my mother in law as Do Not Answer.

DacyJ
06-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (you serious Clark)

Yah pretty much my whole inlaws are that

fonejunkie
06-02-2008, 05:39 PM
LOL I have my mother in law as Do Not Answer.

I just use Ernie K Doe's Mother-in-Law (http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/ernie_k-doe/mother-in-law.html) as her ringer and ignore it when she calls. Thankfully, she doesn't call as much as she used to since her daughter (my wife) played the song for her and told her it was my ringtone for her...

Tangocore
06-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Considering the average Text message costs $.10 , I doubt the FBI will jump on this:?

Anyway receiving text messages is free so its just the hassle of deleting them

zerog46
06-02-2008, 09:43 PM
You can get youmail, they have a thing on there they call ditch mail, I haven't tried it yet but after someone calls you can ditch them, after the first call...

fonejunkie
06-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Anyway receiving text messages is free so its just the hassle of deleting them

Without text plans, most carriers U.S. are charging $0.15 per text... and charging to both send and receive. Still not a matter for the Secret Service... but the cost of texting continues to rise, almost as fast a gasoline.

(Edited to clarify/specify U.S. carriers)

Wavester
06-03-2008, 07:49 AM
That's so funny that so many of us have come up with the "Do Not Answer" entry in our address books. (And I thought I was so clever)

Tangocore
06-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Without text plans, most carriers are charging $0.15 per text... and charging to both send and receive. Still nto a matter for the Secret Service... but the cost of texting continues to rise, almost as fast a gasoline.

Oups sorry, guess its not the same everywhere cause receiving texts is free on all canadian carriers in both prepaid and postpaid plan even without a text plan.

fonejunkie
06-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Oups sorry, guess its not the same everywhere cause receiving texts is free on all canadian carriers in both prepaid and postpaid plan even without a text plan.

Looks like I was guilty of generalizing, as well. :oops:

littlegypsy
06-12-2008, 04:01 PM
On a verizon service you can add a number to a "rejected" list. Not sure what the caller hears, if anything, but no notification is received until the "1 missed call" displays on screen. It is something at least.

David.Burke
06-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Looks like I was guilty of generalizing, as well. :oops:

I assumed US carriers would have free incoming texts. I guess you just have to settle for unlimited data plans and phenomenal rates! :smile:

06-12-2008, 06:07 PM
follow this link and good luck!
Black & Whitelist - BlackBerry Handheld Software - powered by Handango (http://www.handango.com/blackberry/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1181&osId=1039&jid=4C526CAX76E59A8547CC195X17EDA848&platformId=5&productType=2&productId=209215&sectionId=6511&catalog=40&topSectionId=-1)

daphne
06-13-2008, 12:45 AM

I sometimes get SPAM text messages. I am at their mercy.

You should report them using the link in my sig. Text/sms spam is illegal.

mm_style
08-13-2008, 11:57 AM
via the Firewall. Options > Security > Firewall > you can block incoming sms/mms/pin/bis/and bes messages, and also make exceptions for people in your address book. Works for me since I have all pin messages blocked except those in my address book (personal friends) (y)

jdacal
08-14-2008, 01:21 AM
I just went through this. Tried a bunch of software including Black & Whitelist (mentioned above).

This one is expensive but it did the trick. It works with any phone number even if its not in your contact list.

Do a search on Google for the name. Since I'm new to the forum it won't let me post the link yet.

I tried it last because it was the most expensive, but it works like a charm. Make sure its compatible with your phone. But it is truly a dream come true. Just add them to your blacklist and they will defitely go to voicemail... with no ring or vibrate to bug the heck out of you.

zkyevolved
08-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Motorola phones have this feature. You can set your security to allow calls from only phone numbers listed in your phone book. I wish my BlackBerry had the same feature.

iphone, too.

JSanders
08-14-2008, 08:17 AM
There is a new beta app out which helps block/ignore SMS texts you receive from an unwanted party, check the Aftermarket software section here.

karren_hutton
08-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Between junk email, text, and calls..... I just leave my BB on silent.... Some idiot from Washington State keeps trying to repo my BMW ..... but I drive a Toyota!!! hahaha

I don't even open them up..... just use the delete button a lot.... lol

dodgydane
08-14-2008, 09:47 AM
via the Firewall. Options > Security > Firewall > you can block incoming sms/mms/pin/bis/and bes messages, and also make exceptions for people in your address book. Works for me since I have all pin messages blocked except those in my address book (personal friends) (y)

How do you add exceptions?