PDA

View Full Version : what are DOD Root Certificates do i need them installed

Huntersplc
06-01-2008, 08:29 AM
just wondering if i need these installed the optimize your blackberry thing said he did not but just wonder what exactly they are for so i can make a dicision same question about the MDS runtime

penguin3107
06-01-2008, 10:17 AM
DOD Root Certificates allow your device to trust the identity of websites that are authenticated by the Department of Defense.

You likely don't need them.

You don't need the MDS runtime package on your device unless you or your company are developing your own custom BlackBerry applications.

scottjb
06-01-2008, 10:35 AM
just wondering if i need these installed the optimize your blackberry thing said he did not but just wonder what exactly they are for so i can make a dicision same question about the MDS runtime

Punctuation would be a good thing. :)

Off-topic, I know.

Huntersplc
06-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks, I so appreciate the information. And as for the Punctuation, Sorry. I was in a hurry and didn't think is was that big a deal but i know it makes it difficult to make out what someone is trying to ask somtimes. I apologize again.

ScandaleX
06-01-2008, 01:26 PM
DOD Root Certificates allow your device to trust the identity of websites that are authenticated by the Department of Defense.

You likely don't need them.

You don't need the MDS runtime package on your device unless you or your company are developing your own custom BlackBerry applications.

Department of Defense? Is it that serious.... are we going to war with our Berry's?

penguin3107
06-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Department of Defense? Is it that serious.... are we going to war with our Berry's?

Umm... yes, serious.
Many major government organizations, Department of Defense included, use BlackBerry devices as their sole means of mobile communication. Security is of the utmost importance.

BlackBerry is designed with security in mind, and it's security model is second to none in comparison to other smartphones.

Also, yes, we are currently at war and I'm quite sure that you would find BlackBerry devices on the hips of many military personnel.

ScandaleX
06-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Umm... yes, serious.
Many major government organizations, Department of Defense included, use BlackBerry devices as their sole means of mobile communication. Security is of the utmost importance.

BlackBerry is designed with security in mind, and it's security model is second to none in comparison to other smartphones.

Also, yes, we are currently at war and I'm quite sure that you would find BlackBerry devices on the hips of many military personnel.

I'm aware that you removed some parts of your posts. But in answer to what you previously said, No, I am not aware. This is my 1st BB; I just moved from WinMo and Palm so I am still learning.

FF2
06-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Umm... yes, serious.

So how can there be any question of sharing codes/keys/whatever with the Indian government?