PDA

View Full Version : Advice required!

bly3
06-02-2008, 03:21 AM
Hi,
I'm a newcomer to this forum so please forgive what maye a basic question. I'm looking at buying a blackberry with the aim of downloading my work emails to my phone.
However, my IT manager at work says its not possible as it would mean them having to purchase some sort of license for this to happen which they're not willing to do.
Although I have my own laptop etc, my IT manager says its not as simple as buying a phone from a shop and presenting my email address. And that in order for my emails to get downloaded, I cant do it without the persmission of my work.
Can someone clarify if this is the case, or whether I could still simply donwload my emails regardless of what my IT manager is saying?
Much appreciated!

akosnitzky
06-02-2008, 04:38 AM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

You can set up a BIS acct with through your carrier. If it is your personal device, and they are using exchange, I don't see the issue.

ZAHEERABBAS
06-02-2008, 05:21 AM
if u want ur working email account on ur BB handheld and the BB device is ur personal the best Service that u can use is BIS(blackberry Internet Services) from ur carrier. so if ur IT-Manager ask about the licence u can tell him about the BIS. if ur IT use POP3 or IMAP or OWA u just add ur working email account it will automatically athinticate and now u recive ur emails on ur handheld. more BIS is for the Single one u can add ur 10-email account e.g yahoo, gmail, and hotmail too if it is payed.

Regards,(y)

NJBlackBerry
06-02-2008, 06:28 AM
** Bad Information Alert **

Many companies have policies against using personal devices on their corporate network. Feel free to ignore the IT Manager, but in some companies, they have written policies about using personal devices. It sounds to me like your company already has the infrastructure in place to handle this, but they don't want to purchase a BlackBerry Enterprise Server license. If I were you, I'd ask again, nicely, and see what IT suggests.

Many companies also restrtict POP3/OWA/IMAP access to their back end e-mail servers, rendering the BlackBerry Internet Service useless (for corporate e-mail). So it may be a moot point anyway.

And I have no idea what ZAHEERABBAS is saying as I don't speak IM. Unreadable.

takeshi
06-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Can someone clarify if this is the case, or whether I could still simply donwload my emails regardless of what my IT manager is saying?
You really need to determine if the limitation is company policy or if it's a technical matter. If it's the former then you're at a dead end. If it's the latter then you might be able to get IT and/or us to work with you on a solution.

Dubdub
06-02-2008, 12:30 PM
You need to have POP3 or IMAP access. If the company allows that, then you can probably use BIS to get your email with about a 15 minute delay. If there is a company policy against it, as others have said, then there isn't much you can do, except talk nicely to your IT Manager and see if you can get him/her to allow you the access you need.

dacphilly
06-02-2008, 01:54 PM
I use a personal BB at work with no issues. I don't know if your company has a policy against forwarding email but I just set up another account for work and set up a rule in lotus notes to forward all mail to this account. I set it up so if I get an after hours/ early morning request, I get it in a timely fashion. That way, there's no non-company equipment connected to the company BES. Try and see if that will be acceptable to your IT group.