PDA

View Full Version : BB Cable fried motherboard?

dispatcher307
06-02-2008, 10:45 AM
One of our employees fried his motherboard, twice. In both cases he was syncing his BB at the time (different BB by the way - we switched from AT&T to VZW the first time it was being repaired).

Dell is telling him he fried his motherboard by using the sync cable because it is "running electricity back to through the machine". They said they won't do a warranty repair if this happens again.

Has anyone heard of this? He's obviously afraid to try and sync his BB again and being on BIS that's the only option he has. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

John Clark
06-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Never heard of a Blackberry frying a motherboard.

JSanders
06-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Millions do this everyday and there is no problem. The PC motherboard IS the one which provides the juice to the BB, not the other way around, so Dell is just being pig-headed.

ezrunner
06-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Wirelessly posted (my new touch button BB)

I agree with JS

Power is flowing to the BB not from the BB!

I don't see this happening unless the cable is defective in some way

Cory Scheuer
06-02-2008, 11:52 AM
One of our employees fried his motherboard, twice. In both cases he was syncing his BB at the time (different BB by the way - we switched from AT&T to VZW the first time it was being repaired).

Dell is telling him he fried his motherboard by using the sync cable because it is "running electricity back to through the machine". They said they won't do a warranty repair if this happens again.

Has anyone heard of this? He's obviously afraid to try and sync his BB again and being on BIS that's the only option he has. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

You sir are incorrect... he does have an option :) this is his option:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/121838-full-ota-sync-email-service.html

dispatcher307
06-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Wirelessly posted (my new touch button BB)

I agree with JS

Power is flowing to the BB not from the BB!

I don't see this happening unless the cable is defective in some way

I'm thinking the cable must be defective. He said that it happened twice exactly when he plugged the BB in. Anyway, I talked to him some more and Dell is saying it is a problem related to that particular computer model of theirs, not a widespread thing. They claim there have been multiple reports of the same issue on this particular machine. Anyway, he's going to just sync on his home computer.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

d_fisher
06-03-2008, 07:02 AM
I'm thinking the cable must be defective.That was my thought as well. Particularly since it was two different BlackBerry devices.