PDA

View Full Version : logging blackberry messenger

bullet604
06-02-2008, 04:36 PM
is there any program or a way to log my blackberry messenger chats?

A4X4
06-02-2008, 04:46 PM
If you check the logs you will find one labelled PINLogXXXXXX which will give you the details. However, you can enable/disable this via the BES server.

Hope that helps.

bullet604
06-03-2008, 03:15 PM
sorry im kind of a noob how do i find pinlog?

penguin3107
06-03-2008, 03:23 PM
is there any program or a way to log my blackberry messenger chats?

BES can audit BlackBerry Messenger conversations, but it's very clunky.
You set up an audit email address (yours) and then when you monitor a devices BB Messenger conversations, it basically emails a copy of the conversation to you.

PIN logging, SMS logging and Phone Call logging are MUCH cleaner, and simply log to a csv file on the BES.
How do I enable PIN and/or SMS logging? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_enable_PIN_and/or_SMS_logging%3F)

I'd say avoid BB Messenger auditing at all costs. It's ugly.

penguin3107
06-03-2008, 03:24 PM
If you check the logs you will find one labelled PINLogXXXXXX which will give you the details. However, you can enable/disable this via the BES server.

Hope that helps.

Logging PIN messages on the BES will not log BlackBerry Messenger conversations.

scott_perry
06-03-2008, 03:28 PM
I don't think he's asking about logging on the BES, but rather on his individual device.

penguin3107
06-03-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't think he's asking about logging on the BES, but rather on his individual device.

Yeah, in reading this thread again, I think you're right.

A4X4
06-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Isn't a Blackberry Messenger essentially a pin-to-pin message, thus I thought it would be able to track those.

penguin3107
06-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Isn't a Blackberry Messenger essentially a pin-to-pin message, thus I thought it would be able to track those.

BB Messenger uses blackberry data and PIN as it's transport, but the content of messenger conversations are not logged to the PIN message audit logs.

A4X4
06-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Cool, thanks for the additional details on this.

bullet604
06-04-2008, 02:58 PM
on or off bes im wondering if i can log my messenger chats. but i heard bes does not log messenger.

penguin3107
06-04-2008, 03:03 PM
on or off bes im wondering if i can log my messenger chats. but i heard bes does not log messenger.

Whether you're on a BES, or not on a BES... You can't log your own messenger chats. (Other than manually copying your chat history and pasting it somewhere, such as a memo.)

If you were on a BES, they can be audited by your BES administrator.

bullet604
06-05-2008, 02:29 PM
damn... there has to be a way lol... gotta do more searching

penguin3107
06-05-2008, 02:34 PM
damn... there has to be a way lol... gotta do more searching

Knock yourself out. ;-)
Post back here if you find a solution that suits you.

copernicus 1
06-29-2008, 05:39 PM
So can the IT team read my messages or just the log of who i am sending them too?

ma077146
06-29-2008, 05:46 PM
It's not the best way to do it, but if you go into BB Messenger Options, and set "Show Conversations in Message List" to "Yes", you can go to your messages folder and see the conversations. You should be able to "Save" it like a message (you can save PIN messages, which essentially is what this is).

penguin3107
06-30-2008, 06:16 AM
So can the IT team read my messages or just the log of who i am sending them too?

Yes, they can read your messages if they want to.

braindigger
07-06-2008, 03:11 PM
It's not the best way to do it, but if you go into BB Messenger Options, and set "Show Conversations in Message List" to "Yes", you can go to your messages folder and see the conversations. You should be able to "Save" it like a message (you can save PIN messages, which essentially is what this is).

Where do I find this message folder???:?

NickfromIL
07-06-2008, 03:13 PM
there should be an icon on your home screen that says "Messages"

braindigger
07-06-2008, 03:22 PM
there should be an icon on your home screen that says "Messages"

OK, got that, but how do I save the entire conversation? Is the conversation not stored somewhere on my BB????

There is no save option within the messages folder either?? Thanks for trying to help.

NickfromIL
07-06-2008, 03:25 PM
It looks like the only way to do it is open the conversation, hit the menu key, and select "Copy History", then open notepad or a new email and paste it. Either save the note, or send the email back to yourself.

braindigger
07-06-2008, 03:38 PM
It looks like the only way to do it is open the conversation, hit the menu key, and select "Copy History", then open notepad or a new email and paste it. Either save the note, or send the email back to yourself.

I have tried that but I hit the word limit in memopad and in emails. Thus, I can never save the second half of the conversation. Also, I can only cut and paste one piece of the conversation at a time so I cannot figure out how to copy larger sections of it........any ideas???

braindigger
07-07-2008, 04:53 AM
I have tried that but I hit the word limit in memopad and in emails. Thus, I can never save the second half of the conversation. Also, I can only cut and paste one piece of the conversation at a time so I cannot figure out how to copy larger sections of it........any ideas???

Okay, figured out how to get around the word count restrictions with email and memopad. Copy the blackberry messenger history and paste it into the notes section of a new task...........much more room here.....go figure.8-)

hanz_siver
09-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Quick question regarding logging.

Since the message is not going through the BES it is my understanding that the BES is polling the device to pull its logs to populate the log files on the BES. So what is poll interval and how do you change it?
Thank.