PDA

View Full Version : Rogers $7 Unlimited Data - Heads Up!

drgarth27
06-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Like other Rogers users I had packaged my voicemail, caller id, and SMS into the $20 communication pack which also includes the $7 unlimited mobile browsing feature.

There is a very effective link on this site that helps you set up your bb to get around the limitation of this data plan being limited to the crippled rogers wap browser. You can use it with opera mini and gmail . . .

The first month there were no charges as I used it for light browsing and email (gmail). I was about to use it more when I stumbled across a rogers web page declaring that they were going to start charging for non approved devices and software. They were going to shut down the back door.

After seeing that I stopped using it.

Sure enough when my bill came out yesterday I had been charged for just over 2 MB. Not a bad ding and not worth arguing about. For those of you who have a larger bill - sorry to hear that.

I simply want to warn you, get a legit data package

I do have a lingering question for any lawyers . . . if Rogers (or other telcos) sold a non working data package to a known bb user, even with saying it wasn't workable, are they at risk for a class action suit? If I can't use it why would they even sell it to me????

Garth

Tangocore
06-02-2008, 06:49 PM
They have the smartphone communication pack. Basically the same thing of the 20$ but for 15$ and does not come with a data plan which you can add after.

edit: Since Rogers website sucks hardcore (they basically show up dead plan from last year) just call a cs for info on it.

drgarth27
06-02-2008, 06:52 PM
They have the smartphone communication pack. Basically the same thing of the 20$ but for 15$ and does not come with a data plan which you can add after.

Thanks for this info. Rather amazing that when my wife and I signed up for the current plan that we're on the other option wasn't mention . . . arrrgggg customer service reps!

jimmas
06-02-2008, 06:55 PM
I've had the unlimited data plan for about 2 months now and have never been charged anything extra. I just use it for regular web browsing. I'd hate to get my monthly bill with extra charges. Did you use it for normal web browsing?

Tangocore
06-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Here the stats on it

$15 BB/WM Value Pack
Caller ID
Enhanced Voicemail
Name Display
Who Called
Mobile Backup
2500 Text Messages
1000 Pic & Vid Messages

vs

$20 Value Pack
Caller ID
Enhanced Voicemail
Name Display
Who Called
Mobile Backup
2500 Text Messages
1000 Pic & Vid Messages
Unlimited On-Device Mobile Browsing
Unlimited MobileMail Messages
3 Months Unlim SMS/MMS

info from howardforums rogers section

drgarth27
06-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I've had the unlimited data plan for about 2 months now and have never been charged anything extra. I just use it for regular web browsing. I'd hate to get my monthly bill with extra charges. Did you use it for normal web browsing?

Yes through both opera mini and the Rogers wap browser. I didn't get charged the first month either . . . all I can say is be careful.

Garth

drgarth27
06-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Here the stats on it

$15 BB/WM Value Pack
Caller ID
Enhanced Voicemail
Name Display
Who Called
Mobile Backup
2500 Text Messages
1000 Pic & Vid Messages

vs

$20 Value Pack
Caller ID
Enhanced Voicemail
Name Display
Who Called
Mobile Backup
2500 Text Messages
1000 Pic & Vid Messages
Unlimited On-Device Mobile Browsing
Unlimited MobileMail Messages
3 Months Unlim SMS/MMS

info from howardforums rogers section

Thanks, I'll be looking into that.

Garth

jimmas
06-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Yes through both opera mini and the Rogers wap browser. I didn't get charged the first month either . . . all I can say is be careful.

Garth

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it! If you don't mind me asking how much did 2mb cost ya?

strike2tamu
06-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Roger that...lol, sorry I couldn't resist. Good luck.

jimmas
07-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Well the same thing happened to me yesterday when I got my bill. I got charged for 1.6mb. I called to ask why, but couldn't really get any answers. They said aslong as I used the wap broswer I should be fine. They removed the charges, but if this happens again next month I'm going to cancel the internet.

Lunga Bunga
07-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I have AT&T and just contacted Live Chat Support about the plans. They have a PDA Plan, unlimited Internet and Data usage. That is what I have and was told I wouldn't have any extra charges for data usage. Not sure how the price compares to other ISP's but it sounds pretty good if your charged extra for Data usage when it's included with the unlimited Internet and Data package for $30.00 a month.
Tony. :bb: (y)

Johnny909
07-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Roger that Tony Tony, over.