PDA

View Full Version : is Verizon trying to scam me?

axel2078
06-02-2008, 11:38 PM
I was at the Verizon store today and I was talking to one of their sales reps about the Curve 8330 and when I inquired about the unlimited data plan, the rep told me that it was $29.99, but it did not include an @<hidden> email address that I could use to forward pop3 mail to. She said that if I wanted that option, I'd have to purchase the corporate package for $44.99/month. Is she seriously misinformed, trying to sell me snake oil, or has Verizon lost its mind?

Verapakill
06-02-2008, 11:43 PM
I think she is wrong but the key word is Think i set up a blackberry email and i only have the 29.99 package

BostLabs
06-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Wirelessly posted

I.have the 29.99 plan and have set up my pop account to push to me with no problems. I think your rep needs more training. Work email is a different story.

FF2
06-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Besides getting that one free additional email address which you canNOT access off the BB, you can also get much of your other email on the BB by setting it up with the $29 plan.

tobenning
06-03-2008, 12:19 AM
I was at the Verizon store today and I was talking to one of their sales reps about the Curve 8330 and when I inquired about the unlimited data plan, the rep told me that it was $29.99, but it did not include an @<hidden> email address that I could use to forward pop3 mail to. She said that if I wanted that option, I'd have to purchase the corporate package for $44.99/month. Is she seriously misinformed, trying to sell me snake oil, or has Verizon lost its mind?

She's wrong. You can have a @<hidden> address on the $29.99 plan.

crystalhull
06-03-2008, 12:23 AM
I try not to slam any company but my contract just expired with verizon and needless to say I did not renew it and went with t-mobile. When I was with verizon I was told there BB data plan included 10 email addresses, one of which was provided by them. But I switched to t-mobile because of the @<hidden> feature and the data plan is only 20.00 a month. My bill with them is 1/4th of what it was with verizon. The CS has been remarkable as well has the service.... Hmmm I sound like a commercial maybe they should pay me royalties! Please remember this is just one gals opinion:)

daphne
06-03-2008, 12:29 AM

Go the Verizon Wireless website, put in your zip code, choose your Blackberry model, then see what plans come up.

Dubdub
06-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Not a good idea to use the carrier email address. There is one post on here right now about it. Basically you are opening yourself up to SPAM, you don't own the address so you cannot take it with you when and if you change carriers, it can change at the whim of the carrier and finally, the only way to read email to that account is via the BB. So in an outage, you are outta luck.

The best advice I can give is to either set up all your accounts in BIS (you get 10) or forward to either Yahoo or Gmail. Leave the carrier's address alone.

Dawg
06-03-2008, 07:35 AM
They were really wrong.

The BlackBerry Kid
06-03-2008, 07:50 AM
i wouldn't be surprised if they were, they nickle and dime you for everything.

heffman
06-03-2008, 08:58 AM
...i could be wrong, but i believe you need the $44 corporate plan if you want BES service. BIS and carrier email is standard with the $29 plan. Anyone?

Dawg
06-03-2008, 09:04 AM
i wouldn't be surprised if they were, they nickle and dime you for everything.

SMFH

@<hidden> the 29.99 is everything except tethering and BES. You will have unlimited email and data on the device.

customshopkv1
06-03-2008, 09:18 AM
SMFH

They never stop do they?

Dawg
06-03-2008, 09:29 AM
This is the only forum I visit that is like this. Sure their will always be rivalry but I have never seen the pure disgust for a service, (other than sprint and everywhere I go people hate sprint) I just dont understand it. I have been cheated lied to stolen from by comcast but I honestly cant say I hate them.

hnsimpson
06-03-2008, 09:42 AM
This is the only forum I visit that is like this. Sure their will always be rivalry but I have never seen the pure disgust for a service, (other than sprint and everywhere I go people hate sprint) I just dont understand it. I have been cheated lied to stolen from by comcast but I honestly cant say I hate them.

I don't hate Verizon, but if I could get the same service more cheaply elsewhere I would.

I am out of my contract, but am staying with Verizon for a number of reasons, tops among them are:

1) Best coverage of any carrier in my traveling area
2) Entire family (excepting one sister) and 75-85% of my friends are on 'The Network' and are free to call...this saves me $$$

-simpson

/but just ask Dawg...it is a crying shame that Verizon paralyzes all of the features on their BlackBerries and then forces me to stay with them!!
Especially GPS!!! I think there are already a few threads that cover this, though....;-)

customshopkv1
06-03-2008, 09:51 AM

I don't understand why people say that Verizon charges soooo much more then other carriers. I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon last December.

T-Mobile - My Faves, 1000 minutes, blackberry internet and two phones = $114 a month

Verizon - 1400 minutes, BIS and three phones (insurance on blackberry) = $115 a month (21% corporate discount on main line service).

Not that big of a difference considering the extra phone, 400 more minutes and insurance.

Dawg
06-03-2008, 10:32 AM
/but just ask Dawg...it is a crying shame that Verizon paralyzes all of the features on their BlackBerries and then forces me to stay with them!!
Especially GPS!!! I think there are already a few threads that cover this, though....;-)

What is paralyzed? Nothing everything works on the device including the GPS (you just have to pay for it). This is the exact statement that gets me fired up. Complain about gps all you want its the everything that gets me pissed off.

takeshi
06-03-2008, 11:18 AM
I don't understand why people say that Verizon charges soooo much more then other carriers.
Perhaps their choice of packages affects the pricing difference between the two?

customshopkv1
06-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Perhaps their choice of packages affects the pricing difference between the two?

Then they shouldn't really have anything to complain about.

hnsimpson
06-04-2008, 12:14 AM
What is paralyzed? Nothing everything works on the device including the GPS (you just have to pay for it). This is the exact statement that gets me fired up. Complain about gps all you want its the everything that gets me pissed off.

...just a quick note: my sarcasm must have been missing from my post.
My point is that Verizon provides a better service to me and offers all of the BlackBerry features...some of them a la carte so I only pay for what I use...GPS is available, but through Bluetooth.

Right now Verizon is the best choice for me.

-simpson

JGBerry
06-04-2008, 12:25 AM
i would never use the gps on the blackberry while driving... what is the point. i have a tomtom and it has a bigger screen and it suction cups right onto my window. i would rather use my tomtom than my blackberry for gps. vz navigator is certainly not worth paying for.

news flash!!!! --> you can survive without GPS on your cell phone!!!

i say it over and over again...verizon is nationally superior. for everyone who thinks otherwise b/c at this one particular location they call their house, tmobile works best, well fine....my hat goes off to you lol. just look at the coverage maps for the PA-NJ-DE tri-state area i live in up here in the northeast. it doesn't take a genius to see that verizon is superior. and it's not just about CDMA having better signal penetration than GSM either............................

dawg has every right to get pissed off that people who complain about verizon not having GPS. if you want GPS in your phone, then go with another carrier. when you do that, with the curve for example, you will get:

1) slow EDGE speeds
2) battery draining wi-fi for fast data usage/browsing (if you can find a reliable hot spot on the go....)
2) NO video recording
3) less on-board memory than the 8330 (8330 has 96MB vs tmobile's and att's 64MB)

long has past the day when verizon made the mistake of not putting on their label that GPS was disabled...it's been years and years since that. there are no excuses for being misinformed about that one...

LEGEND:

orange - att
green - tmobile
red - verizon
green with sprint label - sprint...obviously

clearly verizon is the winner in the northeast...

daphne
06-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Verizon has better coverage in my area. The entire area is in solid red on the coverage map, while ATT and T-Mobile are in different shades of colors. And everyone here says Sprint's coverage is lousy.

I don't get why why everyone says GSM is superior. Granted I don't understand the technology, but people say CDMA is faster. I've had Verizon for several years now, before I had the Blackberry and I have no complaints at all about the service. Only right now, I wish they had the Curve in red...

FF2
06-04-2008, 09:17 AM
I believe folks still can argue about Verizon locking the gps to Vz Navigator. At least, the 8830 is suppose to be a WORLD EDITION. From what I understand the world stops at the east and west coasts of the US if you want a functioning gps application. In addition, they lock the user into ONE AND ONLY ONE GPS SOLUTION - when folks might want something different - something to track elevation gain on a bike ride, or a hiking trip, something simple that just shows lat/long.

And I still believe folks just have a right to complain and to make it clear to possible future verizon customers what these limitations mean - and whether or not Verizon's BB offering show misleading labels or not, the Customer Reps don't always get it right. As a matter of fact, I keep reading on forums like this, that if folks did their research (reading forums like this), they would know everything they need to make an informed decision. Well, these continuing dialogs (diatribes? (G)) help keep these issues fresh.

Just my two cents - which could reduce the price of Navigator if I did not squander it this way.....

JGBerry
06-04-2008, 09:35 AM
I believe folks still can argue about Verizon locking the gps to Vz Navigator. At least, the 8830 is suppose to be a WORLD EDITION. From what I understand the world stops at the east and west coasts of the US if you want a functioning gps application. In addition, they lock the user into ONE AND ONLY ONE GPS SOLUTION - when folks might want something different - something to track elevation gain on a bike ride, or a hiking trip, something simple that just shows lat/long.

And I still believe folks just have a right to complain and to make it clear to possible future verizon customers what these limitations mean - and whether or not Verizon's BB offering show misleading labels or not, the Customer Reps don't always get it right. As a matter of fact, I keep reading on forums like this, that if folks did their research (reading forums like this), they would know everything they need to make an informed decision. Well, these continuing dialogs (diatribes? (G)) help keep these issues fresh.

Just my two cents - which could reduce the price of Navigator if I did not squander it this way.....

you have a point...people do still have the right to complain about how verizon locks down their gps and how their phones aren't "global friendly". but the majority of cell phone users don't travel to europe and bring their US cell phone with them. it's much cheaper to buy a pre-paid cell phone over there where it costs pennies a minute. granted, i guess if you have a business phone and the tab is already picked up, then it's more convenient to be able to use your own phone. but still...the majority of verizon customers don't use their phone overseas.

in my opinion, verizon blackberries not having GPS is a minute issue compared to the fact that GSM works horribly in buildings, and ATT's 3G coverage is wimpy. if i need something, i will pay for it. i needed GPS in my car...so i got a TomTom. i needed good reliable coverage with fast data EVERYWHERE...so i got verizon. that's just my take on it.

customshopkv1
06-04-2008, 09:51 AM
GPS has not even been a consideration when I have purchsed phones. Coverage is the most important for me, and Verizon does a good job.