PDA

View Full Version : DTM messing up services?

drogemeister
06-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Ok, where I work, I can DL the DTM manager, but it comes with preset options. When I plug in my BB and use the DTM (to install themes) it resets my MMS and Yahoo IM. I was on the phone with Sprint and they couldn't help as my account is provisioned correctly. First thing I did was a handheld wipe, but that didn't work. So I deleted the service books that are used for the DTM, MMS, and Yahoo. I then did a master radio reset, then a hard reset. Next, I sent myself service books and then registered with the network. That seemed to have worked last night. This morning, I used the DTM, to see if there are any options I could change to prevent this and I am running into the same problem again, only this time my fix didn't work.

Any suggestions?

JSanders
06-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Welcome to the BBForums.

Just simply plugging in Desktop Manager won't reset MMS and Yahoo IM (what do you mean it 'resets' them?).

drogemeister
06-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Welcome to the BBForums.

Just simply plugging in Desktop Manager won't reset MMS and Yahoo IM (what do you mean it 'resets' them?).

I realize this. Before I plus in DTM, MMS and Yahoo works. After I use DTM, it doesn't. When you go to Sec. Options - General Options, after the DTM is used, it shows my services as "Desktop" and is configured with my work Outlook. After I delete the service books, it says no services. This is just one thing I have noticed. I can't explain it, but my MMS and Yahoo worked before I used DTM for the first time yesterday and after I did the steps in my original post, but twice now after using DTM, they stopped working. I know... it's weird, but if I knew what it was, I wouldn't be here... lol

JSanders
06-04-2008, 08:39 AM
I just don't know what "resets them" would mean. How does it reset them?

drogemeister
06-04-2008, 08:46 AM
I just don't know what "resets them" would mean. How does it reset them?

Perhaps "reset" is the wrong word. What I mean is before I used the DTM, everything worked. Now, after I used DTM, they don't. Happened twice. I don't think it would be the DTM since it doesn't effect the services, but happening twice?

JSanders
06-04-2008, 08:48 AM
I wonder if it could be related to any IT Policies if a corporate device, or something interrupting the data, since both MMS and Messenger rely on a data connection.

Just trying to help troubleshoot it...

drogemeister
06-04-2008, 08:50 AM
I wonder if it could be related to any IT Policies if a corporate device, or something interrupting the data, since both MMS and Messenger rely on a data connection.

Just trying to help troubleshoot it...

I was wondering the same... is there anything on the BB I can do to remove the policy on the BB? It was working fine.

And thanks for the help... I really appreciate it.

JSanders
06-04-2008, 08:51 AM
If you are on a corporate BES, with the IT Policy pushed from them, no.

drogemeister
06-04-2008, 08:56 AM
If you are on a corporate BES, with the IT Policy pushed from them, no.

Nope... signed up on the BIS. For some reason, when I am connected to the DTM, it wants to sync up to my outlook and there isn't any options to change or stop it. I am having it uninstalled and will trying to install it again. AS for the BB, I'm just not sure what to do now.

JSanders
06-04-2008, 08:57 AM
There is an option to stop automatic sync, one of the choices under options, I believe/

drogemeister
06-04-2008, 08:59 AM
There is an option to stop automatic sync, one of the choices under options, I believe/

I'll have to look again. As for the BB, is there anything I can do to fix this? The steps I took last night doesn't seem to work now.

JSanders
06-04-2008, 09:37 AM
I really don't yet quite understand what is happening to the MMS and Yahoo Messenger. That they just don't work doesn't really tell me what is occuring. Is the Yahoo application deleted? Does the MMS function on the Message menu go away, or just not sent and you get a red X by the message, or are you not receiving?

The MMS function of the BB requires a Service Book (options, advanced, service book). Perahps that is getting deleted somehow, but unlikely unless you are doing so.

drogemeister
06-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I really don't yet quite understand what is happening to the MMS and Yahoo Messenger. That they just don't work doesn't really tell me what is occuring. Is the Yahoo application deleted? Does the MMS function on the Message menu go away, or just not sent and you get a red X by the message, or are you not receiving?

The MMS function of the BB requires a Service Book (options, advanced, service book). Perahps that is getting deleted somehow, but unlikely unless you are doing so.

Ok.. here is what the problem was. The DTM that was DL'd was a corrupt or incompatible version (4.3). Apparently it was a known problem that I was unaware of. It replaced the service books that I needed for MMS and Yahoo with a different version and my BB wasn't accepting it. I sync'd it up with an older version and now the MMS works. What still doesn't work is my Yahoo IM. When I first open the app, it says "Data Services Unavailable," yet I can cruise the internet, receive email, and text messages. When I try to sign on, it tries for a moment and then says "Internal Server Error" with no number associated with it. Any ideas?

JSanders
06-04-2008, 10:27 AM
I'll be surprised if the Yahoo app ever works well. Hard to say what it needs.

drogemeister
06-04-2008, 10:29 AM
I'll be surprised if the Yahoo app ever works well. Hard to say what it needs.

It's strange... I got it to work last night and it worked before the corupted DTM.

John Clark
06-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I'm guessing the issue here is how Desktop Manager is installed. If it's installed for BES/Redirector and not configured properly to your email server then it will screw everything up. I suggest you install Desktop Manager for BIS use only and then it won't add any kind of service books on it's own or change any you already have.

As far as the Yahoo app....sorry, have never used it. JiveTalk is my app of choice.