PDA

View Full Version : Wet Curve

ubizmo
06-05-2008, 05:20 PM
So....I had a bonehead and ran my fairly new (4 months) Curve through the clothes washer and dryer.

I took the battery, the SIM, and the SD, out, and I put the device on top of my modem/router, which is fairly warm. Two days later, there is no sign of moisture under the screen or anywhere else.

Meanwhile, I dug into my pocket and bought a new Curve.

I've done some searching, and I know that some people find that a BB can survive a trip through the laundry. I have no idea what the probability is, but I know that some do.

I'm not going to try anything for several more days. I'll just leave it where it is, drying. Suppose, however, that when I pop a battery in it, it starts up and runs. I could return the new Curve, since it'll be within the 14 day return period. The question is....should I? Even if the dried Curve runs okay, is it likely that there is soap residue inside, and pockets of moisture, that will cause it to get weird and die? I know this question is premature, since there's a good possibility that it won't start up again, ever. But I'm curious as to what others might suggest.

kjjb0204
06-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Dunno, did you use Tide with bleach alternative? It's dead, dude. If the soapy wash and rinse didn't kill it, the super hot dryer probably fried it. Worth a try just out of curiosity sake, but wouldn't expect much.

JSanders
06-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Yea, wait and see, at least 5 days in the warm place, even within a bag of rice to draw the moisture out.

I have seen them work for a few hours afterward and die. You just never know.

Too bad.

customshopkv1
06-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Set it out to dry, but don't be too hopeful.

akosnitzky
06-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Cut your losses. Dump it.

ezrunner
06-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (my new touch button BB)

Sell it for parts!!

06-05-2008, 06:35 PM
i dropped a 7750 in a puddle, and it continued to work fine, but i should have dumped it. I was always wondering if it would die, when it would die, and how bad life would suck if it died. the piece of mind would have been well worth it.

Part it out like EZ said....

CBR900RR
06-06-2008, 01:19 AM
Have a similar incident on my motorola pager, wash thru all cycle and than inside an electric dryer, I just pull out the battery and let it air dry for a week and it's all good now. Hope your BB will come back alive.