PDA

View Full Version : Tethering issue on Tmo + 8320


fbueller
06-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Ok, I'm at a total loss here. I've followed all instructions in the FAQ and my 8320 BB tethered modem will not dial out via Tmo USA. The following key points are -

-Windows Vista, 4.2 SP2 Desktop Mgr
-I have the 8320 connected via USB. In device manager, I've installed a modem on COM5, which is also the virtual BB COM port
-I can query the modem successfully in Device Mgr and it successfully returns the BB modem codes.
-I have BB desktop and manager running
-I've included the +cgdcont=1,,"wap.voicestream.com" string and turned off flow control, ip header compression, etc.
-Dialup on the modem always returns error 629=hardware failure. The data arrows on the BB never show.


The irony is that tethering on my other PC with the same settings is successful. Can anyone help with this? Google and forum searches ain't helping and I'm at my wit's end. Thanks!

fbueller
06-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Sorry to self-bump, but I'm dying here :(

monkeypaw
06-08-2008, 03:53 AM
Is the other computer running Vista as well or XP? There are several threads on one extra thing to do in Vista versus XP. I don't have Vista so I've never paid attention to what that extra thing is. Maybe a search will turn it up.

fbueller
06-08-2008, 08:49 PM
I've looked, dunno what could be extra on Vista. Both PC's are Vista, and are using the standard Microsoft modem driver.

shanahan meathorn
06-09-2008, 11:49 AM
it took me like 5 tries to get the modem to work in vista after having successfully set up multiple XP computers. make sure the modem speed is reduced to 33600 kbps or whatever the closest option to that is.

im assuming youre using the info that is elsewhere documented on this forum. tmob phone number: *99#
username/pw: blank

also assuming youre running desktop manager at the time.

vista was driving me up a wall for a while when i tried to set it up i was surprised when i actually got it

fbueller
06-12-2008, 02:39 AM
Update - success! I uninstalled 4.2SP2 and used 4.3 instead. I had to install the AT&T communications manager (even tho I'm on T-mo) and now it works. Funny enough, uninstalling the AT&T program kills my ability to connect.