PDA

View Full Version : writing TV episode of crime show

tbarley
06-06-2008, 05:33 PM
I am writing an episode of a major TV network crime show that involves a victim dying at a specific time. I need to know if there is a way to tell what time a phone was broken (shattered) by pulling the SIM card or other way in order to establish a time of death.

any suggestions?

JSanders
06-06-2008, 05:36 PM
The BlackBerry Enterprise Service IT Admin could likely determine from the BES logs what time it last contacted the BES server IF the the device is not recoverable itself. If it were recoverable, you could probably see the error on the BB itself.

But the BES Admin would have logs of everything datawise that transmitted to/from the BB.

tbarley
06-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks!

let's say that the phone was either a. exposed to water or b. damaged so that the device itself doesn't work (or hopefully, shows the screen at the time of loss of functionality a la stopped watch), could you contact the local cell carrier for the last signal to a cell tower or would contacting BES be the best way to do it?

bmw000
06-06-2008, 11:55 PM
What if they only use BIS and not BES?

To be honest, I would say most people won't know what BES is and having the cops go to the IT department of wherever this person worked to get his BES log probably is not very believable. Not sure the viewers would understand.

I think the best way and most believable would be to have the phone on a call and this way the cops would just be able to get the phone records and determine the time the call ended. Since the phone records know when the call started and the duration of the call.

What if the person was using gps directions through telenav and the cops contact nasa to get the satellite records when the gps signal was cut? Is that even possible?

JSanders
06-07-2008, 12:04 AM
I think the best way and most believable would be to have the phone on a call and this way the cops would just be able to get the phone records and determine the time the call ended. Since the phone records know when the call started and the duration of the call.

What if the person was using gps directions through telenav and the cops contact nasa to get the satellite records when the gps signal was cut? Is that even possible?

Yep, you could do that with any phone. Nothing BlackBerry specific about that.

To the OP, if the BB is destroyed, it is not likely the screen will be viewable. Gotten wet, any BB users will know (they should if they've ever visited here) that it takes 4-5 days to completely dry a bb back to usability.

The user could have just sent an email to a friend or contact, on which it routinely states "Sent using BlackBerry via <carrier>." which MANY of the population will recoginie as having recieved from a friend. The email would be time-stamped when sent to the recipient which would show they were alive at the time (to send the mail).

davidlleroy
06-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Can you tell us what show this is for??? I doubt it.. but hey... you don't get unless you ask. Right?!

michaelbron
06-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Wirelessly posted (@<hidden> 72 mph)

Will the intended victim be sporting a
BB? And which model? :wink:

davidlleroy
06-07-2008, 12:40 AM
CSI or Law and Order?