PDA

View Full Version : Treo 670 - runs Windows Mobile 5.0

jibi
08-09-2005, 03:40 PM
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000050053387/

looks nice...

camerch
08-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Looks nice but it hasn't been confirmed yet.

BBAdmin
08-10-2005, 02:54 AM
That looks very sweet apart from one fatal flaw....it runs Windows Mobile - you would think they would have put a 'reboot' button on the keyboard because of that!!!!

Krycek
08-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Yeah cause the BB OS is so stable...especially on my 7100t. The bluetooth stack is notorious for sucking. The new fw constantly locks the keys during a call. It'll drop off network and never get back on until I reboot it. Oh, not to mention the 5 minute reboots. I'd gladly welcome a WM2005 device that I would have to reboot once a day if it would only take 30 seconds...

PingGuy
08-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Why in the world would a handheld made by Palm run anything but PalmOS? I think that's the most obvious clue that this isn't gonna happen. Unless Palm is dropping their OS completely and this is the first one to follow the new plan. I would be ok with that, I hate PalmOS.

Talldog
08-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Why in the world would a handheld made by Palm run anything but PalmOS? I think that's the most obvious clue that this isn't gonna happen.
Palm (which makes the devices) and PalmSource (which makes the OS) are two different companies. Palm has already stated in the past that they would consider using other operating systems.

BTW, Brighthand is also reporting this.

ChrisLuce
08-12-2005, 03:31 PM
That looks VERY SWEET. The display looks extra sharp. I looking forward to seeing it in action but not looking forward to the price. Can't wait to see it.

T-Roy
08-12-2005, 04:55 PM
It could just be a prototype they were testing out... but it seems likely to me it will run windows mobile.

thriller
08-12-2005, 05:23 PM
I had a treo and went through 2 of them, it's not the device that's horrible it's the damn os which is not stable at all. A friend of mine has an ipaq and it is realy nice and stable. I think palm will benifit from this windows mobile os.

TayeDrummer
08-13-2005, 05:56 AM
Physical frailty is what brought me from a Palm Treo to a BB 7250. I wonder if they've made a stronger screen for this new OS.

BTW I thought they were looking at Linux as the new Treo OS.

guinda35
08-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Yeah cause the BB OS is so stable...especially on my 7100t. The bluetooth stack is notorious for sucking. The new fw constantly locks the keys during a call. It'll drop off network and never get back on until I reboot it. Oh, not to mention the 5 minute reboots. I'd gladly welcome a WM2005 device that I would have to reboot once a day if it would only take 30 seconds...
Krycek:

You must have a bum unit or a provider that can't reach you easily. My OS has been totally stable out of the box. My BT stack is sweet, keys never lock, never have dropped call issues, unless I'm out in the total boonies, and I hardly ever have to reboot - and when I do, it does so quicky and smoothly.

Send it back dude, or change your provider. You either got a lemon or you've got a piss-poor provider. Anyway, it ain't an OS problem -- you gotta be barking up the wrong tree.

NJBlackBerry
08-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Seriously - listen to Guinda. You either have a bum device, or some third party unstable software. The most stable Palm/WM OS does not hold a candle to anything RIM has put out.

And I have tried every WM device. They sit in a nice drawer under the "never buy again" stamp.

Rodolfo
08-14-2005, 10:07 AM
I've used all three platforms (Treo 270, HP h6315, and 7100t) on a common carrier, T-Mobile, and here's how I rate them based on my experience and in the order of my priorities:

On stability: BB by far, Windows, and Palm
On mail functionailty: BB by far, Palm, and Windows
On portability/pocketability: 7100t, Treo 270, h6315
On telephone functionality: Palm by far, BB, and Windows
On PDA functionality: Windows by far, Palm, and BB

linusthefish
08-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Palm (which makes the devices) and PalmSource (which makes the OS) are two different companies. Palm has already stated in the past that they would consider using other operating systems.

BTW, Brighthand is also reporting this.

Not true!

This used to be true, but then they merged again.

God, what a waste of money - first they split, then they merge.

Anyway, there's no way Palm's dropping their OS; they've been making a killing on it and will continue to do so simply because Windows Mobile is a joke and the BlackBerry OS is really only like 75% complete - read the previous entry on this.

jibi
08-14-2005, 04:46 PM
btw, it appears (from rumors) that HTC will be taking on the contract for manufacturing the Windows-based Treo 670.

and linus, i'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but Palm (formerly palmOne) and PalmSource were still two different companies as of a few weeks ago. palmOne paid PalmSource $30m about two months ago for the sole rights over the Palm name, and changed their name after the deal was done. they also made a licensing deal with PalmSource months ago for the PalmOS, as well. they are, in fact, two very separate but linked companies.

as for their perspective on things, from some time ago:

The company is open to evaluating products using additional operating systems if doing so would grow the marketplace or otherwise meet customer needs that currently are not addressed. This is nothing new. In fact, it was part of the rationale for the spin-off.

and

building a Treo that runs on the mobile version of Windows might help the company woo corporate customers who have been reticent to buy its Palm OS-based gadgets

and we've also got images of what may be the Treo 700...

http://blog.treonauts.com/Treo700CT.jpg

Talldog
08-15-2005, 10:02 AM
Not true!

This used to be true, but then they merged again.

God, what a waste of money - first they split, then they merge.

They have not merged. They both had rights to the Palm name, but PalmOne purchased the rights back. PalmSource is still a separate company.

linusthefish
08-15-2005, 11:57 AM
They have not merged. They both had rights to the Palm name, but PalmOne purchased the rights back. PalmSource is still a separate company.

Yes.

Mark Rejhon
08-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Why in the world would a handheld made by Palm run anything but PalmOS? I think that's the most obvious clue that this isn't gonna happen. Unless Palm is dropping their OS completely and this is the first one to follow the new plan. I would be ok with that, I hate PalmOS.Hey, anything can happen these days. PalmOne even said they might consider using other OS's (such as Windows Mobile).

Apple just went Intel and released a 4-button mouse. Hell just froze over.

Jack T. Chance
08-16-2005, 11:59 PM
Hey, anything can happen these days. PalmOne even said they might consider using other OS's (such as Windows Mobile).

Apple just went Intel and released a 4-button mouse. Hell just froze over.Actually, Mark, it's not the right time of year for Hell (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&address=&city=hell&state=mi&zipcode=) to freeze over. But by January or February, it will definitely have happened! ;-)