PDA

View Full Version : 4.5.0.37 and .42 hangs...

brandnewsimmy
06-10-2008, 01:00 AM
I have read before that this is a somewhat common problem that the phone just kind of 'hangs' like when you push a button the screen will come on, but you will be unable to move the selection at all and no buttons work then suddenly they do. Has the cause of this been found out or talked about already? I had .37 earlier today and eventually it just stopped doing it I have no idea why I didn't change anything. I 'upgraded' to .42 and it is hanging again! :? I uninstalled all 3rd party apps and maximized the BB memory (about 27mb free in case you want to know) but cant figure out what to do next! Like I said .37 just suddenly stopped 'hanging' and I guess I should have left it... If anything has been pin pointed as the problem I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Oh, and my little bit of time playing with .42 seems like it is noticeably faster that .37. Thanks again!

brandnewsimmy
06-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Soo.... I kept messing with my phone and remembered reading to yank out the memory card. That seems to be causing the problem... With the card out my phone comes out of 'sleep' and starts working right away no problems. So I tossed the card back in and opened up 'media' and on the bottom of the screen it said 'scanning' and it finished scanning and all seems to be well now. Hopefully that was it...

ricpac
06-10-2008, 03:44 AM
(y)

brandnewsimmy
06-10-2008, 10:47 AM
So has that the memory card been linked to the phone freezing? If so is there a work around? My phone seemed to start doing it again as soon as I plugged it in last night. That could have been a crazy coincidence I don't know, but I formated the memory car and will try that today.

justajason
06-10-2008, 04:24 PM
I experienced the "freezeup" a few times with .42. So I took it off. Later on this weekend ill try the cold install. I'll use JLcmdr to wipe the device, and install the OS clean. Then do the restore option for my mesages and PIM data. Then a couple of battery pulls, and install my 3rd party apps.

John Clark
06-10-2008, 04:36 PM
I experience random hourglassing...5-10 seconds usually. Thats the only lagging that I'm aware of. I'll try this and see what happens.

John Clark
06-10-2008, 04:45 PM
So, I took out my memory card (haven't done that in ages) and the OS does seem a bit snappier....no lags. Interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

Spawneh
06-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Handy Tip thx guys

John Clark
06-10-2008, 05:30 PM
With my mem card out, after about 15-20 minutes my phone locked up totally. Normally, when a single app locks up you can do alt + esc and get to the home screen and the device isn't dead. However, it was totally locked this time and required a reboot. This just because I took my memory card out?

ricpac
06-10-2008, 05:55 PM
I have not had any issues at all since the upgrade, not even the reboots or the lock-ups caused by the memory card (good for me at least as I really don't want to go that way). I got no UMA here but WiFi works great (just what I need), it easily turns b&w whenever I get in range and never really disconnects at all unlike before with .180 and .184 and dot-37. I love this OS. It's just fast.

John Clark
06-10-2008, 06:16 PM
I put my mem card back in....no scan.

davids196839
06-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Everything seems to work fine on the 8310 and AT&T. I have been testing this update since yesterday.

blackcivic
06-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Works fine on mine too. Wifi is working as it should be

justajason
06-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Sounds like it might be a 3rd party software thing. Or at least the combination of different 3rd party apps. that make the device hang up. Very interesting.

PDM
06-10-2008, 08:25 PM
I believe it is the SD Cards causing the "hangs"...

wabbit
06-10-2008, 09:08 PM
it hangs, bbm if you're in alot of convo's going back and forth, locks up too, also uncaught exception 9? when i took it out of the holster, also, if you goto full screen streaming video i have rebooted the phone.

edit: this is on a 8310 att curve.

John Clark
06-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

No, wasn't like that. BBM issues like that are caused by smileys in your contacts names. Have your contacts remove smileys from their names. Removing them from your end isn't enough either.

My issue was a 3rd party, I think, looking for the card. I just don't know what.

wabbit
06-10-2008, 09:22 PM
well, the phone will just lockup, hard lock, alt esc, etc, buttons, etc its a hard lock on the home screen, no 3'rd party apps etc running. it was a clean install of 4.5 and it locked up. the odd ball part is its random, it hard locked 2 hrs after installing then 3 days later.

tell me more about the smiles? i have had them before 4.5 never really bothered me and its in people name which i could care less.

John Clark
06-10-2008, 09:26 PM

Smileys in bbm names will cause errors, uncaught exceptions, "layout" errors. Get your contacts to remove smileys and symbols from their names. This has been an issue since the first betas came out last year.

As for the lockup, I'd not experienced it until I took my card out. I'm sure it was an app looking for the card and not finding it. Same thing can happen with a card formated in an earlier OS.

I put my card back in, so we'll see what happens.

wabbit
06-10-2008, 09:37 PM
interesting, funny part is i don't think they even know how they did it :)

John Clark
06-10-2008, 09:41 PM

Just know you'll have errors until they get rid of them.

brandnewsimmy
06-11-2008, 10:24 AM
So after putting my memory card back in and formatting it my phone seems to be working fine. It hasn't hung since I put the card back in after the format. Whatever seemed to be the problem, seems to be gone, for now at least.

awojtas
06-12-2008, 03:57 AM
I've got the random hourglassing too. Except I noticed it only hourglasses when it has an image to display:
- Loading the menu icons for first time (hourglass flashes briefly once per icon it has to load)
- Each JPG loading in web browser hourglasses
- Viewing photo from camera
- ..etc, essentially anything involving an image.

Turning off images in the HTML BIS email and web browser sped things up dramatically.
Also, it seems to speed up as you use it. The first camera photo takes minutes to view. After that it's more like the 4.2 OS, reasonably snappy..

Any ideas as to what's causing this?
(No memory card installed btw).

BB 8100 4.5.0.42

hotburnttoast
06-12-2008, 05:45 PM
I get no hourglass viewing photos on my 8320 with .42 build. The only program so far that gives my device problems is Google Maps 2.2.0

hotburnttoast
06-12-2008, 05:47 PM
I believe it is the SD Cards causing the "hangs"...

I have an SD card in my 8320 with .42 and get no "hangs" :smile:

John Clark
06-12-2008, 05:49 PM

The google Maps issue is due to an application control policy on the device. There is a sticky in the beta forum (or gps/mapping...not sure) about getting google Maps to work on 4.5 with app control policies.

PDM
06-12-2008, 06:20 PM
I have an SD card in my 8320 with .42 and get no "hangs" :smile:

I should really have elaborated more than just that statement!

My experiences with an 8800 (8GB SanDisk SDHC Card) and an 8100 (4GB SanDisk SDHC Card) have shown constant resets on both devices IF I copy a large amount of data across to the SD Card in one go (e.g. 3.5GB of files consisting mainly of @<hidden> pictures and @<hidden> music).

My belief (or superstition) is that the "Media" scans the SD Card upon booting up and just throws a wobbly whilst scanning the SD Card causing either a reset or a permanent hang; with the above amount of data.

However, IF I copy the files across incrementally then the OS seems to react much better and I don't really see any significant "hour-glass"/hangs; via Mass Storage i.e. BB connected to notebook.

The "hour-glass"/hang issue seems to be more noticeable on the 8100 (after booting) than the 8800.

In all cases no 3rd party apps have been running above and beyond the basic OS processes. Which made me think it was an SD Card issue (possibly inconjunction with "Media" app).

I noticed you have an 8320. How big an SD Card do you have and what kind of breakdown of files do you have stored?

Edit : Forgot to mention that after the initial boot up and the occasional 5-10sec hourglassing (whilst Media is scanning I believe). Thereafter, the OS is very responsive on both devices.