PDA

View Full Version : I just can't decide

06-11-2008, 08:17 AM
I am an owner of a newly broken Nokia 5300 and am looking for a Blackberry to replace my broken phone quickly.

Although I really would like the curve, I can not afford it. I am thinking about the pearl or the 8700(g or c).

I am a college student and don't send emails too much but I do have to check mine often . I really want the phone for its organizer capabilites and internet access. I am in a contract with t-mobile.

Could I get an unlocked phone that isn't branded tmobile and still use the data plan on the phone?
If my understanding is correct then wifi isn't the same as edge? I have my personal wifi set up at my house so I am concerned about not being able to get on the internet because I am not sure how to check if I have edge reception.
I like the full keyboard on the 8700 but the pearl seems more practical.
A camera is not important to me.
What do you think? I have never owned a blackberry but I did go and look at the curve and pearl. They looked very complex to me but I'm sure after I get the hang of it, I'll love it.

The most I can spend is probably 150. Please help me.

JSanders
06-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the BBForums.

You can get any GSM network device, unlocked, to use on TMo. Any AT&T/Cingular device will do. How do I unlock my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.net/index.php/How_do_I_unlock_my_BlackBerry%3F)

WiFi is not the same as EDGE. You will need specific model BBs that include WiFi access, such as the 8120, 8320, 8820.

You can buy a used Pearl for $150, and the 8700 for under 100.

Good luck. Post back with other questions. Check out the Buy Sell Trade section here, some reputable dealers here. Be wary of eBay for BlackBerrys.
Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.net/index.php/Buying_a_BlackBerry_off_eBay)

Papa-Pompous
06-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Wirelessly posted

My pearl is great for organization and once you get ahold of the SureType keyboard you will love this thing. It fits great in your pocket and is easier to conceal compared to other BlackBerrys. It comes to personal preference however. So I suggest you try them out at your local carrier first and come back here and grab ya one. There not bad price wise. Hope I helped!

JSanders
06-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Wirelessly posted

My pearl is great for organization and once you get ahold of the SureType keyboard you will love this thing. It fits great in your pocket and is easier to conceal compared to other BlackBerrys. It comes to personal preference however. So I suggest you try them out at your local carrier first. Hope I helped!My pearl is great for organization and once you get ahold of the SureType keyboard you will love this thing. It fits great in your pocket and is easier to conceal compared to other BlackBerrys. It comes to personal preference however. So try each out at your local carriers store and come back here and grab ya one. There not bad price wise. Hope I helped!

See Papa likes it so much he told you the same thing twice. ;-)

Papa-Pompous
06-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Wirelessly posted

Wirelessly posted

My pearl is great for organization and once you get ahold of the SureType keyboard you will love this thing. It fits great in your pocket and is easier to conceal compared to other BlackBerrys. It comes to personal preference however. So I suggest you try them out at your local carrier first. Hope I helped!My pearl is great for organization and once you get ahold of the SureType keyboard you will love this thing. It fits great in your pocket and is easier to conceal compared to other BlackBerrys. It comes to personal preference however. So try each out at your local carriers store and come back here and grab ya one. There not bad price wise. Hope I helped!

See Papa likes it so much he told you the same thing twice. ;-)

Haha! Indeed I do! Lol I typed it once and it disappeared so I typed it again and submitted. But its true I do love love my pearl!

06-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the input. I think I am leaning towards one but I'm really bad at making up my mind. All feedback welcome.

dwp1975
06-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Wirelessly posted

Both the 8700 and 8100 series are good devices. Although you said taking pictures isn't a big deal it is a nice feature to have during those sour of the moment photo opportunities.

plasticities
06-11-2008, 09:38 AM
personally i am a little biased but i would go with the pearl. in my own experience it is easier to use and i think it would be more practical for what you are using it for (i'm in college too and it is so handy with its calendar, notes, alarm, etc etc) and extremely personalizable if that is what you are into.

also i got mine for $150 with a $50 rebate for starting a new plan so it came out to $100.

when you say wifi do you mean from tmobile? if i'm not mistaken the new tmobile pearls can be used on the wifi at home? someone back me up here

Dubdub
06-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Keep in mind that with the BB for email and Internet, you will also need a BB data plan. the ordinary data plans will not work. Not sure what it costs on T-Mo but on ATT is it about $30 a month.

06-11-2008, 10:41 AM
I GOT IT (pearl)!! I'm so happy. I called t-mobile and told them I needed to talk to retentions. The guy was like well you need to threaten your contract to do that so I was like umm.. ok, I'm closing my contract to go to AT&T cause the blackberry pearl is too expensive. When I talked to the retention guy he said that it retails at 265 but since I am such a loyal customer (4 years) we can get a better deal - 96 shipped. I can't wait. Thank you all.

avelasqu
06-11-2008, 10:47 AM
I GOT IT (pearl)!! I'm so happy. I called t-mobile and told them I needed to talk to retentions. The guy was like well you need to threaten your contract to do that so I was like umm.. ok, I'm closing my contract to go to AT&T cause the blackberry pearl is too expensive. When I talked to the retention guy he said that it retails at 265 but since I am such a loyal customer (4 years) we can get a better deal - 96 shipped. I can't wait. Thank you all.

NICE! Did you get the 8100 or 8120?

06-11-2008, 11:18 AM
8100, they are practically the same right? I just remembered that I forgot to ask about insurance. I guess I should call them back.

avelasqu
06-11-2008, 11:22 AM
The 8120 has wifi. But you will definately be happy with the 8100, no questions about it.

jlink38
06-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Wirelessly posted

To the op: wow what a steal. You are so lucky! 96 shipped is really incredible. Welcome to bbf!

therealbigj
06-11-2008, 01:42 PM
I know that tmobile is having a special on there blackberry pearls.. My brother just picked his up for $99.99 after extending his contract.. I believe it also came with a $50 mail in rebate, might want to check it out>

takeshi
06-11-2008, 05:25 PM
My pearl is great for organization and once you get ahold of the SureType keyboard you will love this thing.
Not everyone likes SureType. The only way to find out is to give it a shot (say 2 weeks or so) and see for yourself.

Papa-Pompous
06-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Wirelessly posted

My pearl is great for organization and once you get ahold of the SureType keyboard you will love this thing.
Not everyone likes SureType. The only way to find out is to give it a shot (say 2 weeks or so) and see for yourself.

That's very true. Not trying to be pushy. That was in my opinion. But I did suggest to try it out before you buy it.

plasticities
06-12-2008, 01:06 AM
Wirelessly posted

That's very true. Not trying to be pushy. That was in my opinion. But I did suggest to try it out before you buy it.

i agree. i really didn't like suretype at first but now i love it, when it doesn't give me random words that don't exist in any language.