PDA

View Full Version : Documents To Go - so near yet so far...

howard-moore
06-25-2008, 04:10 AM
Hi,

I am running a BB Pearl 8100 on Vodafone UK. I have installed OS 4.5 in the hope that I could get Documents To Go (Standard issue that comes with the phone) to work on it, as I need to be able to edit Word docs on the move, not just view them.

Through what seems like endless searching and reading of the forums I have managed to get to the stage where I have the application on the phone, but cannot register it or access any downloaded documents.

When I try to register the product, I get the message "An error occurred while attempting to connect to the internet. Please make sure your APN settings, firewall settings, and application permissions are configured appropriately".

I have checked with Vodafone UK who confirm my APN settings are correct (my browser certainly works fine), and my firewall is disabled and both Docs To Go and Browser have 'Allow' next to all in Application Permissions.

The next error I get is when I just try to open a document. Here I get the message: 'An Internal Error has occurred: (1028)'

I have tried contacting BB and Dataviz, and cannot find an answer for this anywhere.

So, I am now getting a bit desparate - please, please, please can someone out there give me some pointers as to what I should be doing?

Many thanks,
Neil

PDM
06-25-2008, 04:36 AM
Neil,
Try registering online (via website). I never managed to get the registration via BB to work (with or w/o APN settings).

The FAQ on the website may provide clarity as to the type of docs that are editable. I believe even with the standard version you should be able to edit the docs locally.

ciao for now,

PDM

Edit : This thread may also help you : http://www.blackberryforums.com/beta-you-than-me/134010-docs-go-os-4-5-a.html

aparo1
06-25-2008, 04:37 AM
Hi Neil,
Your ahead of me in the race to get Documents To Go in action. I'm still trying to get version 4.5. I was on the phone last night with BlackBerry and they told me version 4.5 is only available in Asia, not in the U.S. Any suggestions on how I can get version 4.5 ? Have you tried E Office? I am trying to get a trial version installed but having some problems.
Well good luck and let us know how you make out.
Thanks
Paul

PDM
06-25-2008, 05:28 AM
@<hidden>: You'll find Vodaphone.de's released OS4.5 for 8110? (or is it the 9110?) Here : General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion-pearl/)

howard-moore
06-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Hi Paul,

I followed advice by PDM to get 4.5 on the phone - really good advice and great to get 4.5 and all the additional fun on the device.

PDM - I did try registering via the website but as a result I now have a different Registration code to my device's registration code. I try to enter the device's registration details on the website to log-in and get support, but it tells me that that number is not registered. When I click on 'register now' I then get this different code? All very confusing indeed!

Re. the link you gave me, there is an interesting post from John Clark at http://www.blackberryforums.com/beta-you-than-me/134010-docs-go-os-4-5-a-2.html#post984745. I think that this might be something to do with why it is not working, but again I am a little confused by what it all means!

PDM
06-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Neil, best to register with the registration code shown within DocsToGo. The upgrade instructions/link was provided within a mail along with the activation code AFTER registering. If you really get stuck best to ping the support group.

The process outlined by "John Clark" is if you are updating your OS to a newer version and wish to retain the premium installed version (i.e. after you have upgraded your standard DocsTGo).

I am sure its quite confusing for a lot of folks. Sometimes, best to walk away from the problem and re-address it with a clear mind.

aparo1
06-28-2008, 04:57 AM
Hi Neil,
Thanks for the info. I've always liked Dataviz software. I'm a long time Palm user and had good experience with the Documents To Go package for Palm. Hope it's just as good on the BlackBerry. I don't know what's the hold up in releasing 4.5 in the US. Must be a significant change.
Paul

aparo1
06-28-2008, 04:58 AM
PDM,
Thanks!

chrisoldfield
12-03-2008, 02:07 AM
Documents to Go, Word, Internal Error 1028 on opening a file. Using Bold, latest DTG, firmware, etc. When I try to open a word doc I get an "Internal Error 1028" message. Any suggestosn???