PDA

View Full Version : YouMail Voicemail with AT&T

flatlined
06-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Has anyone used YouMail Voicemail with AT&T? Any Problems? Does AT&T charge extra for using it?

I can't believe something this good is free. Just Wondering before I try it.

Thanks

davidlleroy
06-25-2008, 12:42 PM
AT&T shouldn't charge extra, although I am ot positive. I can't imagine how they would even know you were using it. Youmail still does not charge for its services.

tschweitzer
06-25-2008, 01:07 PM
I have at&t and I use Youmail. It works great. No extra charges.

sstroud
06-25-2008, 01:30 PM
just as an fyi, on TMobile the actual voice mail messages show up in your billing as Call Forward Conditional. On pre-paid plans you get 500 minutes of CFC for free, I guess if you go over that, it will count as regular minutes. The calls to retrieve the VM count as regular minutes, same as for TM VM.

Helmdawg
06-25-2008, 02:02 PM
just as an fyi, on TMobile the actual voice mail messages show up in your billing as Call Forward Conditional. On pre-paid plans you get 500 minutes of CFC for free, I guess if you go over that, it will count as regular minutes. The calls to retrieve the VM count as regular minutes, same as for TM VM.

If you have a regular plan (family talk 1000 with my faves), is there a limit CFC? or is this only with pre-paids?

camaro322hp
06-25-2008, 02:02 PM

I noticed that as well. I am guessing it only counts towards CFC if it's forwarded to a number that is NOT T-Mo's voice mail number, since I never used any of these CFC minutes before switching to YouMail.

JSanders
06-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Hey , thanks for the heads up on this. I will watch my billing for anything extra.

But after a week using it on AT&T, no issues yet... very nice service.

jsincere
06-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Ok so im new to Youmail and I have it set up and all works well, its nothing really fancy i would be ok using the regular ATT voicemail but i said ill give it a try since i like that fact that you can download VM's and save them to an audio file on your device. My main concern is will it charge me airtime minutes when calling Youmails retreaval number?!?!?! from what I was told by an ATT sales rep minutes do not charge when calling your VM, but that is calling the ATT standard VM. What about the Youmail # ? as far as ATT knows that number is an airtime charge? Correct me if im wrong but I believe you get charged Airtime minutes when calling youmail.

John Clark
06-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Yes, you will be charged airtime minutes for calling YouMail.

However, you can have the .wav attachment added to your notification emails and you can also have a transcription added so you can just read the voice message. I am using YouMail this way and rarely call the voicemail number anymore.

JSanders
06-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Yea, but keep an eye out if there are any call forwarding conditional minutes charged differently on your account for the time from calling your device and forwarded to YouMail for the incoming caller. It shouldn't matter, but in the post above, it apparently does count differently on pre-paid minutes.

dualsub2006
06-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Yes, you will be charged airtime minutes for calling YouMail.

However, you can have the .wav attachment added to your notification emails and you can also have a transcription added so you can just read the voice message. I am using YouMail this way and rarely call the voicemail number anymore.

How do you find their transcription accuracy? I can't say that I have ever had one that was even in the ball park of what the caller actually said.

Now the attached WAV file is absolutely perfect.

davidlleroy
06-25-2008, 05:36 PM
I must say the transcription accuracy has gotten MUCH better since the initial release. It's far from perfect but it is usually good enough to get the general idea.

nfl46
06-25-2008, 08:02 PM
I have at&t and I use Youmail. It works great. No extra charges.

Ditto! I've been using it for months and had no extra charges.

John Clark
06-25-2008, 08:05 PM
I just wish I would have tried it a long time ago. I probably saw it and breezed right over it as I never jump into most 3rd party apps, etc.

KeNNethX
06-27-2008, 02:37 PM
I just wish I would have tried it a long time ago. I probably saw it and breezed right over it as I never jump into most 3rd party apps, etc.

What about SMS messages...are text messages sent because of YouMail...I read something about 3rd party ads sent out because of YouMail?

JSanders
06-27-2008, 02:44 PM
You can enable or disable SMS message notifications.

audit
06-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Since I don't have the unlimited SMS plan on my Family account, I just get the notifications via email. I've been using it now for about 3-4 days and really like the service. I've been really messing with some of my friends with some of the pre-recorded messages. :)

KeNNethX
06-27-2008, 03:08 PM
You can enable or disable SMS message notifications.

Thanks...I am checking it out.

Demon
06-27-2008, 03:19 PM
I must say the transcription accuracy has gotten MUCH better since the initial release. It's far from perfect but it is usually good enough to get the general idea.

Exactly, names generally don't show up properly in the transcription, but you can get the general idea of what is being said.

KeNNethX
06-27-2008, 03:39 PM
I have signed up and what I when I call my cell number is "The Number you dialed is not recognized"...help?

davidlleroy
06-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Are you calling your VM or are you calling your cell from an outside #?

If you are dialing your phone it sounds like you haven't finish setting up the youmail properly. If I remember correctly they text you some sort of confirmation code and you need to allow them to "take over" your VM. Did you do that yet?

oakie
06-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Yea, but keep an eye out if there are any call forwarding conditional minutes charged differently on your account for the time from calling your device and forwarded to YouMail for the incoming caller. It shouldn't matter, but in the post above, it apparently does count differently on pre-paid minutes.

t-mobile provides 500 minutes free CFC for all accounts per month.