PDA

View Full Version : SO Frustrated...WTH does it take to be able to use DM????

French
06-25-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm so freaking irritated.

I have installed the BB DM and every time I try to install an app using it I get the message there's nothing to be added. I point to the proper file. I have read things that say I'm supposed to download the BB OS on my computer. Did that. Still can't get the darn thing to load an app using DM.

Everyone raves about how great BB is, but frankly I'm not feeling the love right now. Why is it so hard to install an app using app loader on DM? Isn't that supposed to be the purpose of it????

I'm angry and pissy, and I don't think I'm stupid. I've certainly figured out other stuff. But this is just plain irritating. DM should work out of the box for loading apps and mine isn't.

Help??

juwaack68
06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
You downloaded the BB OS, but did you install it on your PC as well?

zerog46
06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Make sure you have the same O.S. installed on your PC that you have on the BB, Options> About.

Dawg
06-25-2008, 06:01 PM
what are you trying to load are you sure its for your device

John Clark
06-25-2008, 06:02 PM
French, it would help if you told us what kind of device you have, either in your profile or in the post. I'm guessing an 8330? I've seen this issue here before. Make sure you have the matching OS installed on the PC along with DM that you have on your BB. Make sure Vendor.xml is deleted. Then reboot the PC and the BB and try it again. Sometimes it may take a couple of reboots on the PC and BB.

French
06-25-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm sorry for being so irritable I couldn't give you what you needed.

Curve 8330
v4.3.0.127

Desktop Manager
v 4.3.0.127

I downloaded the OS from John Clark's post and installed it. It did not try to install to my device, which is good because I do not want to install an OS to my device...I'm on BES. It seemed to install as it should on my PC.

I shut down, restarted, reconnected the BB, logged into DM (IT policy to login), and still get the error message.

My IT policy...I suppose, could be the problem. But the only thing they have locked down is the firewall. Everything else is completely wide open. I've installed many programs OTA with no issues.

John Clark
06-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Does the OS you downloaded and installed match the one on your device? Is it the same version? Is it from Sprint or another carrier? If it's from another carrier did you remove the vendor.xml file? do the OS apps show up in Application Loader? It's not your IT policy (most likely.) It's an issue with the OS/DM.

French
06-25-2008, 06:29 PM
I downloaded from your link, and did remove the vendor.xml file. Twice (removed the vendor.xml file twice).

Yes, it is the same version.

The apps I've installed OTA do show up in the App loader application.

ETA: BTW, I can sync the programs I have successfully installed OTA. I can do a back up no problem, too.

John Clark
06-25-2008, 06:33 PM
But the OS apps don't show up? You should see "Core Applications" "BBMaps," "BBMessenger," etc. If you don't see thos then you don't have the OS installed properly.

"downloaded from your link" doesn't tell us anything at all. I have thousands of links on this forum. What version of the OS did you download?

Thatzmister2u
06-25-2008, 06:34 PM
I downloaded from your link, and did remove the vendor.xml file. Twice (removed the vendor.xml file twice).

Yes, it is the same version.

The apps I've installed OTA do show up in the App loader application.

It sounds like the apps you got are for another device perhaps. Did you unzip the applications after downloading? It looks for .jad or .alx files I beleive. You you see one for the program name you wish to install? Also, if it's a .jad (I think) you can copy to the Media Card and then use explore to locate the file and run to install.

E-

John Clark
06-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Well, he's not seeing the OS apps on the device. That means the OS is NOT installed on the PC. I think he's installing DM each time or the wrong OS.

French
06-25-2008, 06:46 PM
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=B132ECC1609BFCF302615847C1CAA69A

I used the 8130 download.

I am not seeing the Core apps at all.

And I'm a she. :)

I am a little confused on one point. I'm supposed to install the OS on my PC. I downloaded the OS and executed it. I half expected to get a message to load it on my BB at some point, but did not. I am supposed to be able to install on the PC and not on the BB, right?

ETA: I'm definitely installing the correct version of the apps.

I decided to try to reinstall it and I'm getting the message of whether I want to repair it, or remove it. It sounds like it is installed. I have rebooted computer and BB. Twice.

John Clark
06-25-2008, 06:50 PM
You can't use the 8130 download. You have to use an 8330 download. That's why it doesn't work.

John Clark
06-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Download and install the 8330 OS from here:

https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareDownload/index.jsp?client=URNZcPHMm

Make sure the version listed for the 8330 matches what your device shows in Options >About.

French
06-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Oh dear gawd...if I'm that stupid I don't deserve your help.

Stand by....

French
06-25-2008, 07:32 PM
The good news is...I don't appear to be as stupid as I thought a few minutes ago.

The bad news is...I still have the same problem and am really irritated.

In Control Panel, Add Remove Programs the 8330 software appears as available for removal.

It is the same version as what is on my device.

I removed the 8130 software that appeared in Add remove programs, and rebooted the computer and device.

Sigh....what now?

ETA: I know what...let's try deleting the Vendor.xml file!

So I have now deleted the vendor.xml file and EUREKA...I can see a whole bunch of stuff that I recognize as "core apps".

But I still can't install the app with the .alx extension!

ANOTHER UPDATE: I'm sorry this is so disjointed. The app I'm trying to install did show up in the list. I checked it and my device is doing a back up and then install. I think I might have finally gotten this figured out.

John Clark
06-25-2008, 07:37 PM
When you plug in the BB and run Desktop Manager/Application Loader do you see all the core apps for the BB?

Surfish
06-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Hang in there French, I had a similar issue !

French
06-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Yes, I do now. I think this is resolved. I'm brave to stupidity...I decided to remove some OS apps while I was at it. So along with trying to install the new app, it's also trying to remove stuff I didn't think I needed.

If I brick it...it's my work's problem. Frankly, at this point I think I know more than they do and can feign stupidity. Or just be myself (and still appear stupid).

I'll follow up one more time when this process is done. If it isn't successful I'm giving up for the night...actually until next week as I leave for vacation tomorrow. If it works, then I'll post back. Maybe someone will learn from my mistakes.

John Clark
06-25-2008, 07:51 PM
It's a matter of checking the boxes and unchecking the boxes for those apps. You should be able to simply add them back by checking the boxes. What did you uncheck?

juwaack68
06-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Way to hang in there, French!

French
06-25-2008, 08:02 PM
I unchecked Russian language, and the video.

It's taking an awful long time to "wait for device initialization".

oooh...it's restoring right now as I type.

Hey...while I have a couple of ears...I would like to say a big THANK YOU. I posted last fall with questions about BES and BIS and policies and all that good stuff, and this board was superb at answering my questions timely and helpfully. This really is one of the better forums I've visited (for any topic).

So I thank those of you listening and being patient with me for that, and this.

Just a few more moments...standby....

ETA: uhoh...this probably was not a good idea to try being on a BES. I have no "messaging services configured". CRAP. I tried to configure but getting an error. I'm assuming I have to have a new PIN generated to activate on the BES. Boy...my IT department already hates me. This ought to really help them show the love....

My calendar appears to be intact. As do my tasks. My inbox is still intact as well. I just can't get or send messages.

The good news is the app I was trying to load is installed. But I appear to have lost all work syncing stuff (see where my priorities are??).

John Clark
06-25-2008, 08:04 PM
It's restoring data? Sounds like you may have upgraded the OS. You sure it was the matching OS that you had on your device? If it upgraded you will be disconnected from your BES until you reactivate.

French
06-25-2008, 08:23 PM
It's restoring data? Sounds like you may have upgraded the OS. You sure it was the matching OS that you had on your device? If it upgraded you will be disconnected from your BES until you reactivate.

I guess that's what happened, but I'm certain it was the same OS.

I'm thinking because I was removing some stuff that I might have caused an issue.

Fingers crossed....I'll call the IT department tomorrow and act real dumb, and say that somehow my e-mail connection dropped and could they pretty please do the temporary password thingy to get me back online. I can't access internet services now, either.

I just double checked....I definitely did not change OS. Hmm...If the help desk reissues a PIN because "something happened"...I wonder if I can get away with installing 4.5...later. [evil grin]

I don't think they would be happy if they realized what I was up to, but I think they would be impressed. And they would probably lock down their IT policy. A LOT.

John Clark
06-25-2008, 08:27 PM
They are not dumb. However, giving you an EA password takes all of about 5 seconds for them to do and it's common. Just tell the truth. You updated the OS. No biggy. There's nothing you could check or uncheck in Application Loader that would do an OS upgrade. You must have installed a newer OS.

French
06-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks for staying with me and helping out.

But I really am certain I didn't install a newer OS. I checked the version number of what was on my handheld versus what I downloaded and installed on my computer. It was the same. My device has only been in my hands for 2 weeks. I really am positive it was the same.

I am going to be honest with them...obviously if they don't have the device locked down they know people are going to be doing other stuff. Right now I probably know more than any given Help Desk employee. I'm sure if I explain I need to reactivate they will help me out. I just hope the Help Desk is authorized to do that. If not, and I have to talk to the BB people...well they know me and won't be happy. I guess it will depend on who I talk to.

Thanks again for all the help. I got my program downloaded. Oh, and by the way, it isn't working as it should be (I'm using the SplashMoney beta).

How exhausting. Thank goodness I go on vacation tomorrow (afternoon).

Again...thanks!