PDA

View Full Version : Is the 8830 what I want?

mattkrass
06-27-2008, 02:06 AM
New user here, looking at purchasing a BlackBerry 8830 World Edition (with Verizon) in a few weeks with the $30/month BlackBerry data plan and I had a few questions to make sure I am not misunderstanding the devices capabilities and such:

My wants:
1) I want to be able to access my school email account (Exchange with IMAP/POP3 support) and my Gmail account through the phone from anywhere I have cellular service

2) I want to be able to receive and open attachments of the type: Word and Excel documents, 2003 or later, PDFs and images

2.5) It'd be nice to be able to edit the Word/Excel stuff but not a deal breaker

3) Play the occasional MP3 audio or MPEG video file

4) Have web browser access to most sites with my phone service (And I'd like any details about the security/speed of the connection, and how well the browsers work if you guys wouldn't mind)

4.5) Tether to the computer for decent speed web access (Assuming I pay the extra fee). Again not a deal breaker

5) Contact list storage and sync to my laptop running Windows XP SP2

6) SSH access on cell service only to make quick work related checkups and such.

7) Ability to use Bluetooth headset for talking and dialing and such

8) Ability to send/receive SMS/MMS messages

9) Ability to have rudimentary PDA functions like calendar, reminders, calculator, notes and such

10) "Airplane mode" so I can shut off the radios if I'm on a plane and need to use it

11) Some kind of available IM client using the cellular data connection, AIMs mobile system is kind of rudimentary and annoying and I can't even find one for the other services I make use of.

Also if you guys could bring to light "common pitfalls" of someone coming from a Pocket PC as their handheld? I always had a regular flip phone and my Axim X30, and the Axim, while cool, was "too much machine" for me and lacked the connectivity to make extensive use of the features I did utilize.

Thank you in advance.

JSanders
06-27-2008, 03:38 AM
1. - 11.: yes to all.

Notes:
2. & 2.5: Will be easier with the coming of DocsToGo included with the new OS 4.5. At this moment, you will need additional installed third party applications to do so.
4. More secure than any you will find.
11. JiveTalk is the application you need.

Your needs are not out of the ordinary. Coming from a PocketPC, you'll need to remember these devices are quite diffrerent. Don't compare them, and just keep an open mind as you learn to use the BB.

squeff
06-27-2008, 06:14 AM
Coming from a PocketPC, you'll need to remember these devices are quite diffrerent. Don't compare them, and just keep an open mind as you learn to use the BB.

This is excellent advice! People that come from using a Palm or Windows-based PDA will find themselves uphappy with a Blackberry if they start looking for the features and software they once had.

The BB is a great all-around device, but it's going to be missing things you loved about your other devices. Forget you ever had that stuff and focus on the fact that you now (or soon will!) have the best all-around device (and the best e-mail device, hands down) out there. Even more so when 4.5 is formally released.

Oh, and if you do start missing the old device, be aware that some companies (PocketInformant and Iambic, to name two) are porting their PDA apps (some more slowly than others) to the BB.

customshopkv1
06-27-2008, 06:43 AM
Agreed....They are totally different animals. The biggest advantage for me is the OS stability and email. I think you will be happy and surprised at what the blackberry has to offer.

Dubdub
06-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Will not do 3 without a 3rd party application. eOffice does it now. Documents to Go will be part of OS 4.5 and that will also do it.

I suggest you read the FAQ as that will answer many of your questions.

Dawg
06-27-2008, 07:46 AM
Will not do 3 without a 3rd party application. eOffice does it now. Documents to Go will be part of OS 4.5 and that will also do it.

I suggest you read the FAQ as that will answer many of your questions.

I think you mean 2.5 it does numebr three fine.:razz:

sandmanfvr
06-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Also the Blackberry Curve is a great choice, somewhat more consumer oriented with a camera etc. but the 8830 is a world phone. Either is a great choice. Jivetalk is awesome. Buy the $30 lifetime one so you can always use it with any blackberry you get.

wunderbar
06-27-2008, 09:42 AM
ya, I'd personally go wit the blackberry curve 8330 from your carrier. it has a 3.5mm jack where the 8830 only has a 2.5mm jack for listening to media.

Dubdub
06-27-2008, 12:14 PM
I think you mean 2.5 it does numebr three fine.:razz:

Yep. Thanks for the clarification

Dawg
06-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Yep. Thanks for the clarification

I got your back..(y)

iamkidd
06-27-2008, 01:04 PM
I'd go with the Bold if you want to to to AT&T. If not, then I'd wait until the BB Thunder comes out. I would probably switch carriers for this phone. It looks SWEET!

mschiano
06-27-2008, 01:49 PM
i didnt notice anyone post this, but...

6) midpssh. www.xk72.com/midpshh

mattkrass
06-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I had a few questions I was hoping you could still answer:

1) If I use Opera Mini, does it use BIS or do I need a separate data plan for it? In basic terms I am getting VZWs $30/month plan, if I use Opera Mini will I incur ANY extra charges?

2) Can I have my school email and Gmail autoforward to my blackberry.net email for faster reception, and then send replies with specific "From" fields through the Gmail/School servers? I'm not sure how configurable the BBMail client is.

3) Sort of related to the first one, are BIS and Unlimited Data Plan interchangeable in my case? That's what the Verizon rep led me to believe, but you know how CSRs can be :)

JSanders
06-27-2008, 03:04 PM
1- You won't incur additional charges with OM use.
2- Yes you can do that AS long as your school email allows their address to forward (I don't see why they wouldn't) to a GMail account. You will set a "reply using" mask in the BIS account setup with your carrier.
3- Your BIS plan with VZW is your Data Plan and the only you need for data... and it is your BIS plan, yes. Tethering your BB as the modem for a laptop could incur additional charges.

mattkrass
06-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the help, and I am already aware of the tethering charges, I've also seen various proposed methods of getting around that but I don't think I'll risk my account on them, I don't really NEED tethering that much at the moment, and if it becomes necessary I'll just pay.

I'm sorry to be a pain but can anyone possibly highlight the key pitfalls people hit going from PPC to BB?

After seeing a decent portion of "I hate my BlackBerry because it's not my Pocket PC" posts I'm trying to make sure I don't have any misunderstandings!

Thanks!

Dawg
06-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the help, and I am already aware of the tethering charges, I've also seen various proposed methods of getting around that but I don't think I'll risk my account on them, I don't really NEED tethering that much at the moment, and if it becomes necessary I'll just pay.

I'm sorry to be a pain but can anyone possibly highlight the key pitfalls people hit going from PPC to BB?

After seeing a decent portion of "I hate my BlackBerry because it's not my Pocket PC" posts I'm trying to make sure I don't have any misunderstandings!

Thanks!

The biggest pitfall people fall into is trying to compare the two they are totally different devices forget everything you ever knew about the PPC.

And as far as Gmail you dont have to forward it to get it instant just set it up in BIS

!3unn!3
06-27-2008, 05:17 PM
I have a 8830... love it compared to curve.

djm2
06-27-2008, 05:27 PM

Thanks!

You seem to have articulated your functional requirements quite well, and the BB will meet those needs nicely -- with the caveat that some of it is done a bit differently. I suspect that most people who end up with buyer's remorse get there because they have not conducted sufficient pre-purchase research and think that they can load Windows programs onto the BB. That ain't gonna happen.

michael12005
06-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Just returned from an 11 day trip to London, and my 8830 with Verizon performed as it was designed to do. I switched it on as my BA flight was taxiing to it's gate at Heathrow and within 30 seconds it roamed to vodafone and all my emails from the 7.45 hour flight were downloaded. I even checked the baseball scores before leaving the plane.

I did a speed check too by sending myself an email and it arrived at my 8830 withing 7 seconds! Quite amazing!

mattkrass
06-27-2008, 09:33 PM
One last question, if I decide to keep my Axim on hand for PDA work, am I correct in assuming it would be considered tethering to link the two handhelds via Bluetooth so the Axim can access web/email?

djm2
06-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Yes