PDA

View Full Version : Current Orange UK Rate Plans

betterlate1
06-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Just curious, since one of our members is trying to afford a new rate plan while going to college in Southwest Yorkshire. What do you pay for cell service plus BB data? Thanks for the info. The Orange website is very confusing for us Americans.:?http://www.blackberryforums.com/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Point being he may have to give up the BB if the new plan is too expensive.
I would like to make sure he knows what to tell the rep.

YBH
06-29-2008, 01:12 PM
probably the cheapest is what i'm on which works out as £25 per month plus £6 for the Blackberry element - which in effect gives you 6Mb in data. How does this compare?
YBH

olly666
06-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Catch up England. $20 for unlimited over here...

dmacd
06-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Just curious, since one of our members is trying to afford a new rate plan while going to college in Southwest Yorkshire. What do you pay for cell service plus BB data? Thanks for the info. The Orange website is very confusing for us Americans.:?http://www.blackberryforums.com/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Point being he may have to give up the BB if the new plan is too expensive.
I would like to make sure he knows what to tell the rep.

At present I pay Orange approx. £8 ($16) for 250MB per month of data. However you should take note that I live in London and have NEVER had any EDGE access on Orange. The only Orange access I have ever got in the UK is GPRS which is incredibly slow. I have traveled to a small town in Canada (a town of of about 20000) and gotten faster access (EVDO or greater) than Orange has available in London (a town of 8 million or more!). So I cannot recommend Orange as it seems they do not provide EDGE access.

You might want to try one of the other networks in the UK ( Vodafone, TMobile, etc) to see if they provide true EGDE support. It seems to me that they might provide better service that Orange.

betterlate1
06-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Wow...a company as big as Orange and a city as large as London and no EDGE. Very few towers? Thanks for the info YBH and dmacd. We'll be comparing tuesday when the rep calls.

classact
06-30-2008, 07:33 AM
probably the cheapest is what i'm on which works out as £25 per month plus £6 for the Blackberry element - which in effect gives you 6Mb in data. How does this compare?
YBH

Orange have new BlackBerry BIS tariffs out as mentioned here (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/124635-orange-uk-new-blackberry-bis-tariff-out-today.html). There's a link in my first post in that thread to the Orange web page and rates decrease if you commit to a longer contract. BES is still officially £35p/m I believe.

YBH
07-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Actually, I rechecked with orange after posting on this thread (and their not so helpful staff). Eventually got them to switch me to the £25 pm plan plus £7 (approx) for unlimited (250mb) data plan - plus free Sat Nav (although no-one seemed to be able to tell me what this meant...still trying).

I do get EDGE occasionally - but dont really notice a significant speed difference.

Foxglove
07-18-2008, 01:06 PM
If your member allready has a BB then the best option for him is a sim only monthly deal to which he can add a Blackberry tariff.

o2 Uk for example do a simplicity sim starting at £15 for 200 mins and 400 texts (bought online) note in the Uk we do not pay to receive texts. If that is not enough there are also £20 & £25 sims available with more mins & texts. To this he must add a Blackberry tariff for £10.

The good thing about this is with o2 the simplicity sim is only a minimum of one month contract, the Blackberry Tariif however is for a minimum of 6 months so in theory he would need to keep the sim for the duration.

So this can be done for as little as £25 ($50).

o2's data is unlimited with an excessive use policy (apparently secret) but includes unlimited email and yahoo messenger too.