PDA

View Full Version : New purchase with questions

sturner
06-30-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm about to buy a Blackberry Curve 8330 from Verizon Wireless. I'll be using BIS as I don't have access to a BES. My company is running Microsoft Outlook 2007 on an exchange server. I need to be able to reconcile my email, calendar, tasks and contacts. From what I understand I will need to install the BB Desktop Software (not the redirector software) to reconcile my calendar, tasks and contacts. My email should be directed to the device once I add it onto the BB and should not have to use the redirector software. Is this all accurate so far? Can the desktop software be installed without the redirector software?

Also, does an email that I delete from my BB automatically delete from the exchange server on my pc? Will an update I make on my BB to my calendar also update the calendar on my pc? or is there ever a hard sync required?

Thank you all for the help.

penguin3107
06-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Is this all accurate so far?
Yes

Can the desktop software be installed without the redirector software?
Yes.

Also, does an email that I delete from my BB automatically delete from the exchange server on my pc?
It should.
OWA (Outlook Web Access) and BIS supports wireless delete reconciliation.

Will an update I make on my BB to my calendar also update the calendar on my pc? or is there ever a hard sync required?
When you manually sync using Desktop Manager, yes. Your PIM won't sync wirelessly with BIS.

sturner
06-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Thank you very much for that quick reply. If I can ask one more question: Is there any advantage to using the redirector software over not? Is it better to let my exchange email be forwarded through Verizon? I guess that was 2 questions.

penguin3107
06-30-2008, 01:16 PM
In my experience, Redirector is a piece of crap and should be avoided at all costs.
Setting up BIS would be your best option.

sturner
06-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Thank you again. I've been very reluctant to pull the trigger because I'm not terribly computer savvy but I think even I can set this thing up and make it usable. I've been wanting one for quite some time. I'm only about 3 months in on a 2 year family plan contract so I'm hoping they can add the $29.95 (I think this is what it costs per month) data plan onto it.

penguin3107
06-30-2008, 01:34 PM
With Verizon, when you get a BlackBerry device activated on your account, they will automatically add the data plan.

NickfromIL
06-30-2008, 01:37 PM
They will make you have one, I believe, but you have a few options to choose from. They have a 10mb plan for 24.99, an "unlimited" (5 gig) plan for 29.99 (BIS) and 44.99(BES). I recommend the 29.99 plan, which they call "Email and Web for BlackBerry"

styxgroupi
06-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Wirelessly posted

Is this all accurate so far?
Yes

Can the desktop software be installed without the redirector software?
Yes.

Also, does an email that I delete from my BB automatically delete from the exchange server on my pc?
It should.
OWA (Outlook Web Access) and BIS supports wireless delete reconciliation.

Will an update I make on my BB to my calendar also update the calendar on my pc? or is there ever a hard sync required?
When you manually sync using Desktop Manager, yes. Your PIM won't sync wirelessly with BIS.

Wow penguin your good! Will you marry me?!? :wink: J/K

sturner
07-04-2008, 06:29 AM
When doing a manual sync using the Desktop Manager, how does it know which way to reconcile? In other words, say I have an appt on my desktop calendar that shows up on my BB. I than delete that appt from my BB. I than connect the BB to my desktop and manually sync. Will the reconciliation add that appt back onto my BB or will it correctly delete from my desktop calendar?
I guess it could be the other way as well. I add an appt on my BB that's not on my desktop yet. Will a reconciliation add the appt to the desktop or delete it from my BB? Is the reconciliation time sensitive? Is it a one way reconciliation? BB to Desktop or vice versa? or does it reconcile based on time and date things are added, deleted or updated?

penguin3107
07-04-2008, 06:35 AM
When doing a manual sync using the Desktop Manager, how does it know which way to reconcile? In other words, say I have an appt on my desktop calendar that shows up on my BB. I than delete that appt from my BB. I than connect the BB to my desktop and manually sync. Will the reconciliation add that appt back onto my BB or will it correctly delete from my desktop calendar?
I guess it could be the other way as well. I add an appt on my BB that's not on my desktop yet. Will a reconciliation add the appt to the desktop or delete it from my BB? Is the reconciliation time sensitive? Is it a one way reconciliation? BB to Desktop or vice versa? or does it reconcile based on time and date things are added, deleted or updated?

You're confusing reconciliation with synchronization.
They are two different things.
Email is the only thing that reconciles on a Blackberry... the PIM features (calendar, contacts, tasks, memos) all support full two-way synchronization.

Using your calendar examples above... any change made in one place will sync to the other place. If you change the same item in BOTH places, then you've created a sync conflic and you will need to determine which one "wins".

For the PIM functions, you need BES in order to get two-way WIRELESS synchronization. As a BIS user, you can only get two-way synchronization via USB cable sync.

sturner
07-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Ok. Thank you for explaining that to me. I'm still confused however about the full two-way synchronization. Does the synchronization update the most current change? Again going back to my calendar example will it know that it should update my desktop and delete the appt I deleted on my BB since that calendar deletion was done at a later time than when it was added as an appt on my calendar? I'm guessing it would being that it is a two-way sync. Am I worrying over nothing? If you tell me it just works that's good enough for me.

Do I have to sync my contacts? Or do I have the option to only sync my calendar, tasks, memos?

Finally (and I really mean it) I have 2 calendars on my desktop at work. One is my personal calendar and the other is a public calendar. The only calendar I want to sync is my personal calendar as this is where I keep all of my appts. How do I tell it which one to sync with.

Penguin, you've been most helpful and I really appreciate you putting up with my stupid questions. Thank you again.