PDA

View Full Version : Removing Scratches from 7100T screen and then protecting

DrTacoElf
10-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Hey i've had my 7100T for a week and the screen is already scratched to hell. At this rate i won't be able to read it in a year. So i'm planning on using

http://www.meguiars.co.nz/media/newprod_1/G10307.jpg to remove the scratches, unless you guys have a better idea? Secondly what can i use to protect the screen with?

KendallParis
10-15-2004, 12:59 PM
Have you tried putting the 7100 in backwards? Until they come out with a holster that completely covers it, I'd rather risk the speakerphone before the screen.

DrTacoElf
10-15-2004, 01:02 PM
Have you tried putting the 7100 in backwards? Until they come out with a holster that completely covers it, I'd rather risk the speakerphone before the screen.

oh i can't stand the holdster its too bulky i just carry the phone in my pocket.

rcg
10-15-2004, 02:33 PM
this what I'm using until the RIM stuff is available... who knows I may continue to use it after! :)

http://www.smartphonedepot.com/product_gallery/7100_treocase.html

ainvar
10-16-2004, 08:45 PM
I just use one of my ipaq 5450 PocetPC Techs screen protectors and I cut it to fit. The protectors are some of the best I have ever used and I hope they will make some to fit the 7100t.

barjohn
10-17-2004, 04:05 PM
Just a note: The 7100 goes in with the screen side in as it will not turn off the screen otherwise. Holster is a little awkward with no swivel on the belt clip and the thickness but it does protect the unit and screen pretty well. It shouldn't scratch in your pocket unless you put other things in the same pocket.

KendallParis
10-17-2004, 04:08 PM
That's not true. The screen will turn off just by inserting the unit into the holster. It doesn't matter which side.

jibi
10-17-2004, 06:57 PM
That's not true. The screen will turn off just by inserting the unit into the holster. It doesn't matter which side.

i concur.

finch
10-17-2004, 08:27 PM
this what I'm using until the RIM stuff is available... who knows I may continue to use it after! :)

http://www.smartphonedepot.com/product_gallery/7100_treocase.html

rcg, the Treo 600 case your using does it auto off your BB or does the screen shut off for that matter while in the case?

rcg
10-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Finch,

The screen shuts of at it's desiginated interval.. In my case 45 seconds I believe. The only down side to the Treo case solution is that it won't change profiles automatically. That's no a feature I care about but I know some do.

It's a solid solution.

jibi
10-17-2004, 09:46 PM
hmm.. with very little alteration, you could likely slide a flat magnet in and redo the stitching.. altho i dunno how to do that and it would likely make the case fall apart, but hey.. its an idea :)

JJFate
10-19-2004, 07:43 AM
The Maguires is actually for auto paint isnt it? I wouldnt suggest using it as these usually use a very fine abrasive to remove small scratches and may make things worse in the long run.

JJ

jason3fc
10-19-2004, 08:54 AM
You can try this at your own risk, but.. Basically a very fine abrasive is what it will take to remove a scratch. In the past I have used plain toothpaste to do this on screen plastics. I have done it on two mp3 players and a few old phones and it worked pretty good. This has to be toothPASTE; not any thing with gel like aquafresh or anything, no additives like peroxide or baking soda, just plain white tooth paste. You can take a small amount and with a cloth rub it on the scratches. Most of the time it takes some pretty good pressure to make it work. Again I wont take responsibility for anybody mucking something up, but Ive done it and it has worked for me in the past. I dont have a 7100 so I've no idea about the makeup of the plastic of the screen.

betabob
10-19-2004, 05:12 PM
A good place to get more information on this topic is www.ipodlounge.com. Ipod owners have similar issues with their screens, and as a result several products have been created to address them. I also recall a generally available product called Brasso which seemed to yield good results.

Inphektion
10-20-2004, 08:09 AM
Actually the meguiars might work. It doesn't have any abrasives in it. I'd try it, it shouldn't make anything worse. I'm waiting for JavOedge to come out with a screen protector for it which they say will be out in a couple weeks.

JJFate
10-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Meguires has a product called PlastX which looks like it might be more suited.

JJ

Pstmstr
10-24-2004, 08:36 AM
I also like to carry my 7100 in my pants pocket but I'm fortunate in that most of my pants are from Lands End and have a change pocket built into the right from pocket. I carry my BB with the screen facing in and have cut a ppc screen protector down to size to fit as additional protection.

Peench
10-28-2004, 05:15 PM
Has anyone had any luck removing scratches with any of the methods listed here? What works and what doesn't work? I've got a couple that I'd like to remove.

buckZor
11-05-2004, 11:53 AM

clyde_turkey
05-06-2005, 09:10 PM
If the plastic is similar to an iPod's. I've used iPodCleaner to fix up my old iPod, but I'm not sure I want to give it a whirl against the 7100 screen. just noticed a fairly significant scratch today.

rtsevier
08-17-2005, 02:04 PM
I just used the Meguire's Plastix to remove scratches in my 7100t, it worked great, took quite a few applications with pretty firm pressure especially on the VERY scratched (almost gouged) area, but its near brand new. $6.99 at checker auto parts store