PDA

View Full Version : Corporate BES Question w/ private device?

huckster
08-16-2005, 09:20 PM
I recently purchased a 7250 (personally)and I am wanting to get my IT to set me up on the corporate BES to get my work email. However I read on another thread that if I left the company, my IT dept would send out a kill command to my device. Would this permantly shut off my device or just the access to the BES? Would I be able to reload the device to function with a future comapny by chance or would it be dead forever. I know this may be a stupid question but since I purchased the device I do not want to have to buy a new device in case I leave the company. Thanks in advance.

DanMan
08-16-2005, 09:38 PM
I recently purchased a 7250 (personally)and I am wanting to get my IT to set me up on the corporate BES to get my work email. However I read on another thread that if I left the company, my IT dept would send out a kill command to my device. Would this permantly shut off my device or just the access to the BES? Would I be able to reload the device to function with a future comapny by chance or would it be dead forever. I know this may be a stupid question but since I purchased the device I do not want to have to buy a new device in case I leave the company. Thanks in advance.
Normally, you would backup all your personal stuff before loading the software for the enterprise edition. I would just use the application loader to wipe out the device before you leave then, reload the desktop software for home use again. Just get in touch with the provider/carrier and make sure you get the right plan for what you need if you are an email junkie. :razz:

NJBlackBerry
08-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Almost... If the company pushes a restrictive IT Policy down to the BB, you MUST have that policy removed before you leave the company (and are removed from their BES). Removing an IT Policy after you leave the company is very, very painful.

You can easily delete the Service Books once you are removed from the BES. But removing the IT Policy is another story. Even wiping the device out will not remove it :O

huckster
08-16-2005, 09:52 PM
So now I am worried on what to do. I really need access to my work email. So I quess the question is....Is it worth the risk? To get my IT to wipe possibly the IT policies they may or may not push to device. Thanks again for the insight.

ExtMtnBkr
08-17-2005, 09:05 AM
dont bother setting it up on your company BES then. just set up a rule in your outlook to copy emails to your BB and another rule so when you bcc yourself on sent items from the BB they will be directed into yuor sent items folder. that way you can just use the BWC and not have to worry about any IT policies. sure not the most efficient way, but you'll still get your email without the concern/hassle when/if you leave

huckster
08-20-2005, 11:56 AM
My IT prohibits forwarding of exchange mail. So I will not be ablle to set up a rule in outlook to forward my email to my BB. I quess I will just have to risk it. Or does anyone else's IT have seperate policies for company owned devices vs. personal owned devices? THanks in advance.

jibi
08-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Just see if your IT department leadership will write out a policy addendum for personally owned devices stating that, in the event of termination or separation, a new, Default (blank) IT Policy will be pushed down to the handheld so that the lasting effects of the corporate IT Policy will not be present on your handheld.

As for the Kill command, I think its a great idea for corporations to do. So long as the handheld is on with the service books, it sends an OTA command to the handheld to do a security wipe, if I'm not mistaken. This removes any sort of corporate information from the handheld, sans policy. It does not permanently kill the device but rather simply removes the information from it and returns it to factory defaults (sans policy). Even though your device will store personal information, you must understand that the company has to protect its investments - this is just one of the methods that it possibly could take.

You also may want to request the current post-termination/separation procedures from your IT department and plan around those procedures.

huckster
08-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info jibi. I completely understand the reasoning for the policies ( Sarbarnes Oxley area). I am just concerned that I paid $450.00 for the device and really need my work email. But also I work for a company that is going through a huge merger right now and you just never know when you might get layed off....Also a few of my buddies in the office have personal devices on the BES and I bet they have no idea what is going to happen to them if they leave.....But I will most likely just give my clients and support people my blackberry address to send me email instead. Thanks for the help!

smbyers
08-20-2005, 02:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7250/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I also own my own device and run the Redirector on my work PC. It works fine. I could get on the BES but I am holding off for now.

Scarlett
08-22-2005, 08:30 AM
If you have web access to your work email (Microsoft Exchange) you can add that address to your blackberry and recieve your email that way.

a_kayaker
08-22-2005, 08:45 AM
This is why we don't allow personal devices on the BES. It just gets too complicated.