PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry as Home Phone

aikenbbpearl
07-07-2008, 07:58 PM
At one time I saw a device that would tie a cell phone into the house wiring and you could use regular phones with a cell phone as the base. It eliminated the land line tie but allowed normal phone usage. The device resembled a charging stand and tied to the home wiring. Anyone remember this gizmo and does one exist for the Blackberry?

strike2tamu
07-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Never heard or seen of such.

dragoro
07-07-2008, 10:58 PM
With todays rate plans, why would ya need such a thing.

R-Rizzo
07-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Tmobile has a service coming out that I think would fit your needs.... Now I dont quite remember all the details but... There are two options (I Think) The first option has a specialized router manufactures by Linksys that accepts a SIM card and acts as both a wi-fi router and a VOIP access point. You would plug any standard telephone in to the router and you would have "land-line" service through the inserted SIM card in the router. The second option is to get a curve for a Pearl "II" (8120) which works with UMA. With a 9.99 add-on through tmobile. Any minutes you use while the phone is connected through a wi-fi hotspot, (Wether it be Tmobile Hotspot, Your home wi-fi router <Not necessarily the specialized linksys mentioned above> , or any wi-fi access point you will be not billed against your minutes) If you choose not to opt for the 9.99 add on plan. You will have excellent service anywhere you have a wi-fi connection, however you will be billed the appropriate minutes. (Mobile to Mobile, Nights And Weekends, Or your normal bucket of mintues) I would look in to it if your thinking about ditching the land line.

DISCLAIMER:

The above information is true to the best of my knowledge. How ever, I had some dental work done today and I've popped a vicodin and am drinking booze so YMMV. Have a wonderful day. 8-)

PKIronMan
07-07-2008, 11:04 PM
The above information is true to the best of my knowledge. How ever, I had some dental work done today and I've popped a vicodin and am drinking booze so YMMV. Have a wonderful day. 8-)

You and I go to the same dentist? Schweet.

PhillyGuy
07-08-2008, 06:59 AM
There are devices that connect your cell phone to a traditional pone via Bluetooth. I can't remember the name of one, though. Many high-end cordless phones allow this.

It allows your cell phone to ring over a cordless handset, so you are using cell minutes, but not the cell phone.

takeshi
07-08-2008, 10:13 AM
With todays rate plans, why would ya need such a thing.
I think you're missing the point. You'd still use your wireless plan. It would just enable the land line phones to make and receive calls via the wireless carrier's network.

French
07-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Dock-N-Talk is a brand/model of a phone that can be connected to your internal house wiring, but it requires being turned off at the box. Alternatively you can use a cordless handset "set"...that is one of the systems that has a "base" and then additional units that plug into a regular outlet. I've not been impressed with the quality of my calls using such a set up, though, and have kind of given up on the Dock-N-Talk. It's a great idea but people say they can't hear me. There is also a really long delay between my picking up the receiver and the call "going through". It is good for knowing when someone is calling if I keep my cell phone in the kitchen, though. But I'm finding it's easier to just keep my Curve with me in the house.

Naked Wife
07-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (NakedBerry)

I remember seeing one that connected to your cell via Bluetooth.

TroyDBrown
07-08-2008, 01:17 PM
The device is made by GE, you can buy it at Target in the electronic department. It integrates your exisiting home phones over your cellular connection.

aikenbbpearl
07-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies. We never really get close on minutes with the Alltel Circle and unlimited nights and weekends. I could eliminate the $35/mo charge from the local landline co. We make all our long distance wireless so making the tie to the internal system satisfies my gadgetitis and laziness in walking to pick up my Blackberry. Had not thought of the Bluetooth connection but with the Blackberry that is probably the only way to access the phone function--- and I can sit on the couch with the old Pearl and access the forum. Hmmmm.

Jerzey Jon
07-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Thats crazy!!!

aikenbbpearl
07-08-2008, 08:30 PM
After reading the reviews and looking at the Target site the GE device is what I'm looking for. Thanks one and all.